Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:30 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
poor pup lol My question is ...if they charge the invisible fence and get zapped can't they just take the zap and get to the other side?
YES!!!! And many dogs are lost or killed (run into the street) that way. Also, there is nothing to stop another dog from entering your yard and attacking your dog or bringing disease and parasites with it. There is nothing that can compare to a good sturdy fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 AM

Angry They keep nothing out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
Wouldn't you be worried about other animals (dogs,alligators,coyotes, bobcats,etc) getting into the yard and your dog not being able to get away?
That's the main problem with these fences. Even if you can keep your dog in.... there is nothing to keep unwanted animals and even mischievous children out. These are the last fences anyone should seriously consider. Just my opinion from what I have seen and know about them.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:43 AM

209 posts, read 538,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I don't think they were burn marks. They were more likely to be calluses that built up from the pronges rubbing on his/her skin. Everytime I pet Champy - 80 times a day, I rotate his collar and rub his neck. His collar does not bother him at all. In fact when I take it off, he waits for me to put it on, and comes back as soon as he sees me pick it up after he has had a bath. He likes his collar.
Nope, they were burn marks. She saw three different vets, all three said they were burn marks. Plus since she was barely a year old, she had very little skin, so it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out they were burn marks. Invisible fences are great for some dogs, especially larger dogs. I have a neighbor that has a pug and a Scottish Terrier that it works fine for them. Toy dogs are so small the collars are nearly as large as they are. We even bought the special ones made for small dogs, but they are still too large for a 5 pound dog.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:19 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
That's the main problem with these fences. Even if you can keep your dog in.... there is nothing to keep unwanted animals and even mischievous children out. These are the last fences anyone should seriously consider. Just my opinion from what I have seen and know about them.
mischievous children? really? i'd be more concerned about mischievous adults that might dognap my little buddy! he's an uncommon breed and reallllly cute

Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I would definitely say this depends on where your house is. Where we are, we let the dog into the side yard twice a day for 5-10 minutes at a time, and we walk her twice a day (in addition to trips in the car). In our neighborhood, there is a virtually 0% chance of invading forces entering the perimeter during one of those brief stretches (although Mallory did have a slow-speed White Bronco-style chase with a large turtle just last week...I went out to check on her, and she was crouched down, reaching out with her paw, reaching, reaching, so as not to get close to the edge of the yard).

Also, once we hit on the right timing for the beeps and strength of the zaps, our dog became absolutely averse to going anywhere near the line. She hasn't gotten close enough to hear the beep, much less get zapped at all, for...two months or so (and we've had the fence for about ten weeks).

Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 AM

it's funny, the hoa's that don't allow fences. what do they think will happen? the houses around here all have different style fences, different heights, some are hedges, etc but it looks so pretty. i love driving through the neighborhood and seeing the different styles and how people landscape. the fences tie in with the houses, the landscape, the property layout, etc.

Why is diversity bad? Or maybe it's because so many of the communities have the houses jammed so closely together that if the fences go up everything will look congested/claustrophobic?

Anyone know how much an invisible fence costs to install? The house i will rent has a side corner yard that is pretty big, be a shame not to be able to use it

Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
$800-$1200, depending.

But again, remember, you can take it with you when you leave with no problem and they will reinstall it for nothing or close to nothing.

It might sound like a lot, but over the course of a year or two, imagine how many walks you'll save yourself.

I don't know, maybe it's all totally subjective, but for me, it was the best $1200 I have spent in a long time. I figure if I am in this house for five years, that's $240/year, or .75/day.

But again, that's very conservative, considering the lifetime warranty and the fact you can move it, and the fact that I will be in this house way longer than that anyway.

If you call the guys I linked earlier, they will come out and estimate, and they are not high pressure. Very professional and cool.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:22 PM

thanks for the info, i didn't know you could take it with you.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Angry rotten people

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
mischievous children? really? i'd be more concerned about mischievous adults that might dognap my little buddy! he's an uncommon breed and reallllly cute
Oh yeah, adults can be every bit as mischievous. Here in TN we have the infamous pet-nappers go through. We're due again at any time. These are people who steal any dog or cat they can get their hands on to sell for research or if purebred, to puppy mills. They've been seen lifting people's dogs OVER fences and luring them off porches. They adopt free pets from the papers and places like Craig's List to sell, sometimes by the pound like meat. We put the field fence up behind our house which backs up to the woods to protect our dogs (when we had them). Our three cats are kept indoors-only.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:46 PM

Smile Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I would definitely say this depends on where your house is.
Agreed. The turtle story is funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area