Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL Dreamer View Post
It truly is a small world, beerme1. It's taken a long time for us to become official snowbirds (and we're not quite there yet), but I never gave up my dream to escape our cold winters. I just love Florida. Let's see..... beaches.... Swiss Chalet..... sunshine and palm trees..... Swiss Chalet. Nope, Florida still wins hands down! Good luck making your move next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy5 View Post
Very small world indeed. I am also a big time lurker on this forum, and I currently live in Oakville (we are in Joshua Creek). We have been looking for a vacation home (eventually retirement home) in Siesta Key or Longboat key for many months now, but nothing appropriate has come up. We're trying to be patient though. And besides, we have a pretty darn good agent helping us (you all know her). We have a family vacation planned for the Longboat Key Club in mid-July. Really looking forward to it.

lol at the beaches...swiss chalet...sunshine and palm trees comment

Wow another from Oakville. Johnny I believe I know who your agent is and I want to tell you she gives more info than you would have ever imagined but then I guess you already know that
Congrats to you too. Is Joshua Creek out by Glen Abbey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 05:32 AM

45 posts, read 168,392 times
Thx. no its at upper middle road and ford drive.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:56 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy5 View Post
Very small world indeed. I am also a big time lurker on this forum, and I currently live in Oakville (we are in Joshua Creek). We have been looking for a vacation home (eventually retirement home) in Siesta Key or Longboat key for many months now, but nothing appropriate has come up. We're trying to be patient though. And besides, we have a pretty darn good agent helping us (you all know her). We have a family vacation planned for the Longboat Key Club in mid-July. Really looking forward to it.

Maybe this fall, with all you Canadians, we can have a Meet-up and get you all together! Beerme you've been scouting out all the areas here in SWFL - I'm impressed with you extensive knowledge of restaurants and hang outs. Maybe you could help me get one coordinated. Although, if you guys are all going to be around at the same time, maybe you could meet up for lunch or something on Siesta Key, Anna Marie Island, or Sarastota one day. - That would be cool!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
a FALL meet up would be swell!!

Old 06-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Maybe this fall, with all you Canadians, we can have a Meet-up and get you all together! Beerme you've been scouting out all the areas here in SWFL - I'm impressed with you extensive knowledge of restaurants and hang outs. Maybe you could help me get one coordinated. Although, if you guys are all going to be around at the same time, maybe you could meet up for lunch or something on Siesta Key, Anna Marie Island, or Sarastota one day. - That would be cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
a FALL meet up would be swell!!

BH I love to eat and drink therefore I tend to find the right place to go
Read a lot of reveiws and ask questions of fellow forum members and you will be informed. Blase Cafe was the discovery last trip thanks to a few people on here including you and it was an awesome find.
We laughed because our group enjoyed everything while another table sent the wine back sent the food back didn't like the salad dressing and on and on. Whiners.
Our waitress loved that we loved it all and bought our table dessert for all of us She said she liked us, we dont complain!
Different yes, but excellent. I hate it if I have to go to a chain while I'm down there and there really is no reason to if you ask questions.
Anyway when/if we get relocated down there I would be happy to relieve some of the pressure on you and pitch in to get meet ups organized. I keep missing them and this is something we have done with members from Trip Advisor in Key West before. It is a cool thing to get to meet a face that you only know the words of. Sometimes it's great and other times its but it is always fun especially when there are regulars and newbies that join in.

Oobie when is Fall? We are down at labor day and over Thanksgiving that is our next two trips. Although the timing as usual probably doesn't work out on either trip because of what we are doing and where we are staying those trips and the travel schedule we are on but I will try. Last year we were going to do one the day after Thanksgiving but we had a death in the family and had to rearrange our plans. We will be there the day after Thanksgiving this year also but staying in Cape Coral a couple of days at family and then a couple of days at family over in Boca and then a few days on Anna Maria.
So we can still peg the day after Thanksgiving if the Catain Co Ordinator is on the ball. We were looking forward to meeting the Cools specifically last year at that time and everything just got put aside naturally.
I will pledge to make all of the meet ups if we get relocated there.
Uh oh, I think we're gonna need a bigger boat!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:38 PM

33 posts, read 54,932 times
Hi SWFL Dreamer,

Small world....take 3!!! I don't live in Oakville but I do live next door in Burlington! Just like you,my wife and I recently purchased a home in SWFL and within weeks of buying our house, the gulf spill occurred . We have a good 16 years before we retire and become snowbirds, so we'll just have to vacation there for now. We're headed down for the last 2 weeks of August and again in September and December and hope to meet some of you.

Frank

Old 06-22-2010, 08:23 PM

22 posts, read 29,970 times
Cool, other "Oakvillians" and "Burlingtonians" on here. Neat. I think it's the best of both worlds to be able to live in this part of Ontario during our beautiful spring, summer and fall months, and then down to SWFL during the winter. Works for me. We won't be down again until late October or early November (drat). We'd love to be there sooner, but I am fresh out of vacation days at the moment. Retirement is only 8 months away for me, though, and then we can travel more freely. We're looking forward to meeting folks on here if there's a meet-up when we're there.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Ram3500 View Post
Hi SWFL Dreamer,

Small world....take 3!!! I don't live in Oakville but I do live next door in Burlington! Just like you,my wife and I recently purchased a home in SWFL and within weeks of buying our house, the gulf spill occurred . We have a good 16 years before we retire and become snowbirds, so we'll just have to vacation there for now. We're headed down for the last 2 weeks of August and again in September and December and hope to meet some of you.

Frank

Well congrats to you also Frank. The world keeps getting smaller! My ex sister in law and my best friend live on Consort Crescent which is near Walkers Line and Mainway in ... duh duh duh Burlington
My sisters office used to be in Burlington also. You may miss Canyon Creek Restaurant but there are things that make up for it like SWFL dreamer says

A very long time ago I lived in Guelph which was pretty cool. College town and neat when the Argos came for training camp. I was born in London and consider myself to have grown up in Oakville and then Toronto down by Harbourfront. Ye olde Queens Quay lol.

Last edited by beerme1; 06-22-2010 at 09:22 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 AM

33 posts, read 54,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
Well congrats to you also Frank. The world keeps getting smaller! My ex sister in law and my best friend live on Consort Crescent which is near Walkers Line and Mainway in ... duh duh duh Burlington
My sisters office used to be in Burlington also. You may miss Canyon Creek Restaurant but there are things that make up for it like SWFL dreamer says

A very long time ago I lived in Guelph which was pretty cool. College town and neat when the Argos came for training camp. I was born in London and consider myself to have grown up in Oakville and then Toronto down by Harbourfront. Ye olde Queens Quay lol.
My mom still lives off of Guelph line as does my sister and brother.There aren't too many restaurants that we'll miss as we prefer a home cooked meal.We use the BBQ all year round too,that includes cold snowy days.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
BH I love to eat and drink therefore I tend to find the right place to go
Read a lot of reveiws and ask questions of fellow forum members and you will be informed. Blase Cafe was the discovery last trip thanks to a few people on here including you and it was an awesome find.
We laughed because our group enjoyed everything while another table sent the wine back sent the food back didn't like the salad dressing and on and on. Whiners.
Our waitress loved that we loved it all and bought our table dessert for all of us She said she liked us, we dont complain!
Different yes, but excellent. I hate it if I have to go to a chain while I'm down there and there really is no reason to if you ask questions.
Anyway when/if we get relocated down there I would be happy to relieve some of the pressure on you and pitch in to get meet ups organized. I keep missing them and this is something we have done with members from Trip Advisor in Key West before. It is a cool thing to get to meet a face that you only know the words of. Sometimes it's great and other times its but it is always fun especially when there are regulars and newbies that join in.

Oobie when is Fall? We are down at labor day and over Thanksgiving that is our next two trips. Although the timing as usual probably doesn't work out on either trip because of what we are doing and where we are staying those trips and the travel schedule we are on but I will try. Last year we were going to do one the day after Thanksgiving but we had a death in the family and had to rearrange our plans. We will be there the day after Thanksgiving this year also but staying in Cape Coral a couple of days at family and then a couple of days at family over in Boca and then a few days on Anna Maria.
So we can still peg the day after Thanksgiving if the Catain Co Ordinator is on the ball. We were looking forward to meeting the Cools specifically last year at that time and everything just got put aside naturally.
I will pledge to make all of the meet ups if we get relocated there.
Uh oh, I think we're gonna need a bigger boat!
We'll calibrate a meet-up this fall! Because most of our family is up here, and tradition runs pretty strong, we will be up here for Thanksgiving.

It seems like you like to check out a lot of restuarants and bars. As a foodie, you must be a good source for recommendations. You certainly make the most of it when your down. Yeah - the Blase Cafe, is awesome. Whenever we go to Siesta Key we try to make it there. When you see it you're like what the heck (normal people would go by it 1000 times and never consider going there) - but the transformation, when you sit down is amazing, and the food is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area