Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 AM

33 posts, read 58,039 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We just got back to the DC area from a few days in the triangle area of North Carolina. While there I took note of the free area transportation but realized that driving was the only way to really get around after the limited time the buses run. I hate to drive and realize that will probably increase as years go on. I am wondering if there are any areas in Sarasota where we can live car-less? Where I can walk to the grocery, book store, pharmacy, library, good neighborhood eateries, etc. And maybe there are bus lines to the areas where doctors practice? I know car-less is in the future for us - so now I am wondering if Sarasota is still in the future for us. Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:57 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Your only options in Sarasota would be downtown, or Southside Village (south of downtown near hospital), with downtown being the best due to having everything you need there.

A possible option for the future would be the University Parkway corridor, that is where I currently due all my shopping, and there are lots of doctor offices there. It is not "walkable", but I feel transportation options will increase, especially if and when they build the new megamall there.

Sarasota has one of the MOST walkable complete and charming downtowns of cities in Florida.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:13 PM

"Sarasota has one of the MOST walkable complete and charming downtowns of cities in Florida." Thank you Gypsychic!

I think this is where I get a bit confused (which could be erased if I could just get down there for a visit!!): downtown Sarasota and Southside Village are two separate neighborhoods? And both are livable and charming? Can the beach be accessed from the both of them? What would be the up sides and down sides to living in either of them - because right now they sound great?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aug79 View Post
"Sarasota has one of the MOST walkable complete and charming downtowns of cities in Florida." Thank you Gypsychic!

I think this is where I get a bit confused (which could be erased if I could just get down there for a visit!!): downtown Sarasota and Southside Village are two separate neighborhoods? And both are livable and charming? Can the beach be accessed from the both of them? What would be the up sides and down sides to living in either of them - because right now they sound great?
Yes, Southside Village is the area south of downtown and West of the Trail, there is a little "village area" with Morton's Market and several restaurants, pubs etc. and it is also near the hospital and the medical offices area. It is not as "defined" as downtown, and is not as near to everything you might need as downtown.

As far as beaches, from downtown you only need to go over the Ringling Bridge - I think it's about 2 miles long or some such, and you are at St. Armand's Circle and Lido Beach. The downtown area is really ideal if you want to live without a car because everything you need is right there, and of course there are buses, too.

I don't know if you are looking at houses or condos, but downtown has a lot of nice condo buildings. If a house, you would probably be looking at one of the older homes in Laurel Park, which is the closest nice neighborhood to downtown.

You definitely must come down and pay Sarasota a visit! Nothing like seeing paradise first-hand, you know!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Oh it does sound like paradise!! We will come down as soon as we can and just look around during our first visit. We will rent a car but plan on walking about as much as we can. You get a whole different feel for a place when you walk it vs. driving through.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
My ex-mil lives right over by the Sarasota/Bradenton Airport and she's lived there for over fifty years and does not drive. She takes the county bus to her job, to get groceries, the book store, movies, etc. She's in what's known as the Sapphire Shores area, pretty close to Indian Beach.

So, I would say it's very possible to get around Sarasota without a car.

Gypsy's idea of Southside is a good one as well.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 AM

SoFlGal, your exMIL seems to have it right and I would guess all that walking in the sun has been good for her health.
Is it Southside or the downtown area that is close to that very good library? Would that be the Selby?

Old 08-20-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
SoFlGal, your exMIL seems to have it right and I would guess all that walking in the sun has been good for her health.
Is it Southside or the downtown area that is close to that very good library? Would that be the Selby?
The beautiful Selby library is right downtown.

I live up in Whitfield Estates, not far from Sapphire Shores where SoFLGal mentioned. My neighborhoods is right off Tamiami Trail and I can walk to quite a few things - a 7-11, several restaurants, doctor/dentist, music store, car repair and a few more. I am also only two blocks from a bus stop. So one could even live here without a car if necessary.

What kind of home do you want and what is your budget? That may determine where you need to be looking. Homes in town (including mine) are just about all older. And the ones right downtown and Southside are expensive because of location.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:00 PM

Gypsychic, thanks for another idea of a place with good walkability. We don't have an exact budget yet because we don't know if we will be working or retired when we eventually move. But in terms of kind of home - I guess even that is fuzzy right now since I don't have an idea of available styles in Sarasota. In general terms though we want a place on one floor (I think that might be easy to find) with 2-3 bedrooms - a small but comfortable place. A condo may work too but only if it is on the first or second floor - we are not into heights. The idea of an older home sounds very good.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Gypsychic, thanks for another idea of a place with good walkability. We don't have an exact budget yet because we don't know if we will be working or retired when we eventually move. But in terms of kind of home - I guess even that is fuzzy right now since I don't have an idea of available styles in Sarasota. In general terms though we want a place on one floor (I think that might be easy to find) with 2-3 bedrooms - a small but comfortable place. A condo may work too but only if it is on the first or second floor - we are not into heights. The idea of an older home sounds very good.
Well that's great, you should have no problem then because the older, in-town neighborhoods are mostly older one-story Florida ranch style homes (which mine is). Mine was built in the 1950's, and it is solid and very well built of reinforced concrete block with stucco and beautiful terrazzo floors. I would take my house 100 times over some of the cheaply built homes of recent years. Not saying all new homes are cheaply built of course, but during the boom many homes were just kind of "slapped up" with no quality control, and of course, Chinese drywall. No such worries with my little place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area