Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 11:36 AM

55 posts, read 133,080 times

Advertisements

Hello, everywhere we have lived in Florida we have had to put up with incessant rumbling, thumping of Boom Cars see Lower the Boom! also see
"BOOM CAR" SHAKES APART IN MIDDLE OF ROAD,
(http://www.uncoveror.com/boomcars.htm perhaps this will happen more often and the NTSB or someone else will finally step in and do something) even though Florida has a 25 foot law, it's not enforced anywhere, recently, in fact as I type this here comes another one of these monsters, there is no rest for the weary, we were considering moving to Tampa, but apparently there is no enforcement there either, recently Sarasota updated it's ordinance and loud stereos can be fined up to $650 and confiscated please see Aiming to tow more cars for minor offenses | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader Anyhow we are more than fedup and prepared to leave the state all together if we can't find some damned quiet place to repair our nerves from this constant assault. Is this new law working in Sarasota, do you still have the problem, or is the law a stronger deterrence and is working to keep Sarasota a quiet peaceful place? Florida was once a place people went to get some peace and quiet, those day are long gone since the advent of the Boom Car also known as SAV Sonic Assault Vehicles. Also if the Boom Car menace has been silenced how about the loud pipes are they a problem there as much as the rest of the state? What the hell good are these laws if no one wants to enforce them?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 02:42 PM

153 posts, read 444,678 times
I'll be following this post with interest. My own experience from living in all sorts of NY towns is that even with decent noise ordinances they will rarely be enforced, so that one's best option for peace and quiet is to live in a neighborhood with considerate neighbors and minimal drive-through traffic.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:04 PM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times
I remember being in Walmart in Osprey, and somehow got talking about car stereos. The clerk told me she was pulled over by the police for her radio being to loud, she received a ticket and had to go to court. I believe she had to replace the speakers in the car. I saw this great bumper sticker which I now regret not getting it said
"If I wanted to hear your f'ing radio I'd be sitting in your car"

Old 03-22-2009, 04:26 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich2010 View Post
so that one's best option for peace and quiet is to live in a neighborhood with considerate neighbors and minimal drive-through traffic.
Bingo! I think I've seen/heard one of these types once in the 6 years we've lived in this neighborhood of Port Charlotte.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Port Charlotte FL near Punta Gorda, when we were through there more than 5 years ago, Punta Gorda was bad, but perhaps like Sarasota, they just don't put up with it?

Old 03-23-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I remember being in Walmart in Osprey, and somehow got talking about car stereos. The clerk told me she was pulled over by the police for her radio being to loud, she received a ticket and had to go to court. I believe she had to replace the speakers in the car. I saw this great bumper sticker which I now regret not getting it said
"If I wanted to hear your f'ing radio I'd be sitting in your car"
That's great, when were living in our R.V. we stayed overnight at a Super Walmart in Beach S.C. horribly noisy, and at 3 A.M. was rudely awakened by massive thumping from a car stereo. Never do that again!

Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM

267 posts, read 806,308 times
Ack! I'm glad I'm not the only person complaining about this. After years of living in North Cape Coral, in relatively quiet and remote neighborhoods, I'm now living about a block off of the corner of Harbor and Midway in Port Charlotte. It's an all day affair around here. It's a good thing I sleep with a fan, because those damn stereos are going off until 2 and 3 in the morning. And then they start up again around 6am. A police car set up on Midway looking for these things could write tickets all day and night. I just wish they'd do a little enforcement. Maybe it's time to start making complaints.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,540 times
Not trying to offend when I understand it can be an extremely bothersome thing if you hear it endlessly but I want to add, should we also start making sure everyones seat is reclined no more than 45 degrees? ;-)
This is not a Florida issue it is an everywhere issue.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 AM

267 posts, read 806,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
Not trying to offend when I understand it can be an extremely bothersome thing if you hear it endlessly but I want to add, should we also start making sure everyones seat is reclined no more than 45 degrees? ;-)
This is not a Florida issue it is an everywhere issue.
People having their seat reclined to a certain degree does not shake the walls in my house at 3am, or force me to pause the tv show I'm watching until I can hear the tv again after they pass by.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:45 PM

You guys might want to take a look at the thread started in the Tampa forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area