Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:03 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInChicago View Post
If you let the punks control your movement, your circle will become smaller and smaller. I've never allowed punks to bully me - and I never will. Your way of thinking is why we have people afraid in Arizona, in their own home towns. I will be living in Bradenton very soon, we're shopping for a house right now. I will not live in fear or avoid going where I want to go. I was born and raised on the southwest side of Chicago (45 years) and I've seen all types, so I'm no stranger to the wanna be thugs.
Someone's sarcasm detector is broken.

I would never advocate for just running away from them; I advocate for actually governing and policing properly.

I'm sure you're a tough guy and all, but I have lived in some of the roughest parts of the roughest cities in this country, and I can assure you--suggesting that everyone should arm themselves is wrong. I have no doubt SOME people should, but definitely not everyone.

Being an internet message board, it's hard to know whether you are one who should or shouldn't.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:13 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Rushmore...out of an honest sense of curiosity...who should and who shouldn't?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:27 AM

153 posts, read 287,980 times
I don't claim to be a "tough guy", but I don't back down, especially to "thugs". Also, as stated, this being an internet message board, I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not. The thought of someone suggesting not to go somewhere because of the possibility of "thugs" really chaps me too. This is America, Land Of The Free and Home Of The Brave.

bbronston - I (me) think everyone should carry all the time. Why? What would go through the mind of the "thug" before he approached you?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:40 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
i can only imagine the news headlines had that soldier pulled out a handgun and blasted.

everytime there is a crime and especially one where a real nutcase pulls it off they have "VETERAN" in the headlines if the guy was a veteran.

on the ccw and right to carry, you will never convince liberals that we have the right or it is a good idea to excercise our rights until said liberal is attacked. i think in a state like this where we have that right the bad guys think twice. in the liberal, anti gun states only the bad guys have guns crime is much higher.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:58 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Rushmore...out of an honest sense of curiosity...who should and who shouldn't?
My view is not something that can be legislated.

And now that I think of it, I doubt this is the place for a debate on the 2nd Amendment, so I am going to bow out.

But before I do, I'd like to say that I would have had no problem whatsoever if that guy had killed every single one of those people with any weapon he might have had--samurai sword, mind control, bazooka, whatever. Just no nukes or chemical weapons that might end up effecting other people. So, butter knife or Uzi, sure. Anthrax or Sarin gas, gotta draw the line.

Sorry. I wouldn't be GLAD it happened, but I certainly wouldn't hold it against him.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:01 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
Quote:
But before I do, I'd like to say that I would have had no problem whatsoever if that guy had killed every single one of those people with any weapon he might have had--samurai sword, mind control, bazooka, whatever. Just no nukes or chemical weapons that might end up effecting other people. So, butter knife or Uzi, sure. Anthrax or Sarin gas, gotta draw the line.
our next meetup could be an interesting one. i promise i will leave my bazooka at home.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I wasn't looking for legislation, just a clarification of your position/opinion. I'm not advocating a position nor arguing against one. I won't discuss whether or not I have a weapon or carry one but, like you, I would not have been upset if there were fewer punks on the street.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 PM

23 posts, read 65,868 times
I guess I found this interesting because it was a movie theater my wife and I went to every once in a while. Though I spend most of my time east of 75, I never really thought of the theater to be in a bad area. I always thught the theater was an outlyer that serviced the LWR crowd. I guess I need to re-assess what I 'think' I know about certain areas.

As for the CCW, from what I gather, a bystander kept the mob at arms length with a handgun from his car. Obviously not something you would want to produce unless it was your last resort, but I do like the fact that police gave him a pat on the back and sent him on his way.

Apparently the parents of one of the youths involved wants to stage a rally (for what I can't begin to imagine). Instead of accepting responsibility for their kids' actions, I guess it's easier to try to pass the blame along.

I still love the area, just wish some people would get it together. They're ruining it for the rest of us.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:04 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence623 View Post
I guess I found this interesting because it was a movie theater my wife and I went to every once in a while. Though I spend most of my time east of 75, I never really thought of the theater to be in a bad area. I always thught the theater was an outlyer that serviced the LWR crowd. I guess I need to re-assess what I 'think' I know about certain areas.

As for the CCW, from what I gather, a bystander kept the mob at arms length with a handgun from his car. Obviously not something you would want to produce unless it was your last resort, but I do like the fact that police gave him a pat on the back and sent him on his way.

Apparently the parents of one of the youths involved wants to stage a rally (for what I can't begin to imagine). Instead of accepting responsibility for their kids' actions, I guess it's easier to try to pass the blame along.

I still love the area, just wish some people would get it together. They're ruining it for the rest of us.

They'll have Al Sharpton on the phone probably too. Always trying to place the blame elsewhere. The race card get so old; they need to take a look in the mirror.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:21 AM

810 posts, read 1,182,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
They'll have Al Sharpton on the phone probably too. Always trying to place the blame elsewhere. The race card get so old; they need to take a look in the mirror.
Yep, Al is sitting by his phone with his mouth salivating. He is loving this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area