Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 AM

288 posts, read 692,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I have to say that you all have opened my eyes to this stuff. I did get my shepherd from a store that claimed that they got their dogs from breeders not mills (I had heard that mills were bad but didn't really know much about them other than to ask) but now I am beginning to wonder if they were telling me the truth. They are not around anymore, though, so I guess I'll never know. I find it really difficult to understand how anyone could be in a retail business that provides a product that literally defines "warm and fuzzy" yet be so callous about it.

I took some folks out looking at properties recently and they had their rescue dog with them. The dog had been kept in a cage all of its life as nothing more than a breeder from someplace in New England. The place was busted and the dogs were shipped out to shelters around the country. They were from Kansas City (if I remember right) and I was impressed that they were so dedicated to this pup. She was still a little skittish but doing very well and she had already come a very long way in her socialization skills. I think you do get something of a mixed bag with some shelter dogs (probably no more than any other source though) but I also think their capacity for forgiving us as a species by recognizing and returning unconditional love is amazing.
You would be amazed how well it is covered up by these terrible breeders, they certainly don't want the general public seeing that the dogs are kept in housed areas such as these:

Even if your beautiful dogs (loved the photos ), were from any of these places, you would probably have never found out, it's something they try and keep very quiet as it's a very emotive and controversial subject.

It is claimed at least 95% of dogs/puppies that are sold in commercial pet stores come from puppy mills. I don't know any reputable dog breeder that would sell their dogs to pet stores as they have no way of vetting the potential ownders.

What did shock me is the sheer magnitude of puppy mills, which is sadly not illegal. There was a sobering epidsode on Oprah some years back which highlighted this terrible problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 08:48 AM

288 posts, read 692,641 times
Default Petland / Puppy mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acapelad View Post
does anyone have experience buying a dog from Petland on Fruitville Road in Sarasota
acapelad, interestingly, after I just posted my message, these two links showed up at the end of the thread.

Thought you would be interested to read them:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...s-petland.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...k-puppies.html

Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 AM

511 posts, read 2,198,947 times
Try looking for a breed rescue Do a search on petfinder.com.

I really liked our local family-run pet store. They worked with our shelter & would help with adoptions and displayed profiles of dogs and cats in their store. They never sold puppies and kittens, and the animals they did sell -birds, reptiles, fish, pocket pets, ect- were all so well cared for and healthy. They cared about the well being of their critters. They encouraged people to do research before buying pets, and they were always more than willing to offer care advice throughout the life of the pet.

Then they sold the shop and the new owner completely ran it to the ground. Near the end, when you walked through the door you were just hit with the stench of urine. There were dead animals in the cages (frogs, mice), cages piled with filth, overcrowding, cages without water. I complained several times to our animal control, and I'm guessing others did as well, because thankfully that horror shop is closed now.

Such a HUGE difference- One owner was in the business because they loved animals, the other just wanted $$$. Sadly, the shops that just want $$$ greatly out number the ones that care about the animals. I'm not anti-pet shop, but I think there needs to be MUCH harsher laws & regulations in place for shops.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:38 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
A play date would be great! Let me know when you're in town and we will meet you with our girl Sheba.

I had to look up American Hairless Terriers, since I'm not familiar with the breed. What a gorgeous breed and it's true, they look so much like MinPins. What kind of personality traits do they have?

You must post a piccy of your dog, please.
Unfortunately, we won't be back until July 4 week

I've posted a couple of pics of her on various threads, but here's a couple of them:

Old 05-01-2011, 07:10 PM

481 posts, read 942,913 times
I am so glad so many people have shared the stories of how horrible pet stores are and how wonderful adoption is. If you are willing to do the work and wait for teh right dog to come along, you can find any breed up for adoption. It took me 5 motnhs and e-mails galore, but I adopted an Italian Greyhound, with papers, years ago. Our guniea pigs are adopted as well.

I emplore anyone who is looking for any animal, whether it be a great dane or a hamster, to go the adoption route.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Of our three cats. Two came from the local kill-shelter and one came from Petco which allows Rescues to use their cages. The male kitty from Petco was pulled from death row (with is brother) in a KY kill-shelter and brought down to TN by a woman in cat Rescue. His brother was adopted the day before I adopted him. Adoption SAVES LIVES!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:51 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
Try looking for a breed rescue Do a search on petfinder.com.
Excellent advice...my uncle wanted to get a second Westie, and I suggested petfinder.com...he's already filled out an adoption form for a 5 yr. old female, the same age as his male, Max . There were pages upon pages of westies and westie mixes in need of homes, all different ages. It's a great resource...the only "downside" is that there will be so many adorable and wonderful dogs to choose from .

I echo the sentiments of everyone else here about petland being a corrupt business that deals with puppymills. They are a despicable company, and no true animal lover should ever give them a dime.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I suggested petfinder.com.. It's a great resource.
Petfinder is a great resource....but just to throw out another "warning"...if you are looking at Petfinder, and you find a "rescue" group that has ONLY puppies, or dogs under a year old or so....THESE ARE BROKERS SELLING PUPPY MILL PUPPIES and disguising them as "rescues". Apalling practice, but it is common so beware.

I work in Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breed rescue and when people email me wanting a puppy I always explain that rescue groups very rarely get puppies. Dogs don't become a "pain" until they're around a year old! When people can't train them, get tired of the chewing, etc, then they think about finding them a new home. The majority of our rescue dogs are between 2-5 years old. Sometimes younger, sometimes older.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:38 AM

70 posts, read 216,899 times
I don't think it's been clearly stated yet, but dogs from puppy mills are almost all sickly and frequently have birth defects. Beyond the moral aspects of buying from such a store, you also end up with an animal that needs constant, expensive medical attention.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
In reality when you rescue from a shelter you have no idea if the animal came from a reputable breeder or a puppy mill, many shelter dogs ARE healthy and many are not. It's just a crap shoot but you are giving a home to an animal that desperatly needs one and they can give you a lot of love in return.

Bottom line is knowingly purcashing from a puppy mill or pet store that is supplied by puppy mills just perpetuates the problem. If no one bought from them the mills would eventually shut down and the shelters would be a lot less crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area