Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 11:50 AM

192 posts, read 470,956 times

Advertisements

I've learned a lot from all of you and would really appreciate some "locals" input. This fall I will be moving to Sarasota from Colorado. I've been in town three times to get a feel, but now need to settle on a neighborhood. So far, I've only been able to narrow down to South of Fruitville rd.
Here is what I'm looking for: 1950's to 1970's modest house in the 130-150K range. Most importantly is a stable neighborhood. Since I have so little knowledge of the area, I'm a bit worried about purchasing near a lot of rentals or problem area. Is there an area that has some small " cool" homes that I might want to check out? I have been working with a very nice realtor who has been helpful, but would really like some unbiased input.
Thanks everyone! This is a big decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 12:12 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krh6609 View Post
I've learned a lot from all of you and would really appreciate some "locals" input. This fall I will be moving to Sarasota from Colorado. I've been in town three times to get a feel, but now need to settle on a neighborhood. So far, I've only been able to narrow down to South of Fruitville rd.
Here is what I'm looking for: 1950's to 1970's modest house in the 130-150K range. Most importantly is a stable neighborhood. Since I have so little knowledge of the area, I'm a bit worried about purchasing near a lot of rentals or problem area. Is there an area that has some small " cool" homes that I might want to check out? I have been working with a very nice realtor who has been helpful, but would really like some unbiased input.
Thanks everyone! This is a big decision.
I live up here in Whitfield Estates - north end of Sarasota but Manatee County. It's a large neighborhood going back to the 1920's with homes from all decades and prices, many in your price range, and quite a few built in that era. We live in a neat little 1950s rancher, and LOVE it. We really love it up here, and it is a pretty stable neighborhood. We are on the bayside, but there are a lot of homes on the golf course side, so you might want to take a look, even though you specified "south of Fruitville" is there a reason for that?

Further south you can try South Gate and Gulf Gate, not as sure of prices around there but there are bound to be some.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-15-2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks Gypsychic. I heard that S of fruitville may have less crime than North, but this is why I'm still researching.
Any specific cross roads that point me toward the neighborhood that you are talking about?

Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times
There are many neighborhoods that fit your basic criteria. However, in that price range you will find that all of them will have some rentals and probably some homes in foreclosure that haven't made it through the lengthy process yet. Our area is recovering from the real estate boom & bust from 5 - 6 years ago.

Some neighborhoods you may like are South Gate (south of Bahia Vista, both west & east of Tuttle), Hyde Park, Forest Lakes, Gulf Gate. Further east, closer to I75 & near Bee Ridge: Tamaron, Brentwood, Ridgewood, Colonial Gables, Countrywood, Lake Sarasota. There are lots of other areas that don't really go by neighborhood names. You might check out the zip code areas of 34232, 34233, 34241, 34231 & 34239 to name a few.

May I make a suggestion? If you are not familiar enough with the neighborhoods yet, why not rent for awhile? Until you learn the neighborhoods and determine which ones you like? Why spend $150,000 now to buy in neighborhood A, only to decide a few months from now you would have been much happier if you'd bought in neighborhood B instead?

Let me give you an example. I had a couple that had moved from Sarasota to Michigan several years ago. They decided last summer they hated Michigan winters and planned to move back. Even though they had lived in the Sarasota area for years previously, I suggested they rent for awhile as neighborhoods and the local real estate market had changed in the 5 years they had been gone. They did rent vs buying right away. They spent 6 months looking around and becoming familiar (again) with the Sarasota neighborhoods. Guess what? The list of neighborhoods they had thought they wanted was thrown out. I ended up helping them find a home they love in a neighborhood that they had not originally considered. I spoke with them just this past weekend and they thanked me for suggesting they wait before buying.

Not every situation is the same for every home buyer, but I still think renting before buying if you're not familiar enough with the area to which you are moving is a good idea and may save you from making a $150,000 mistake.

Good luck with your move & welcome to Sarasota.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:43 PM

Thank you S.R.
My problem with renting first is that I'm concerned that I may not be able to find a month to month that would allow pets. ( 2 dogs ) Any suggestions?

Old 05-15-2011, 01:53 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krh6609 View Post
Thanks Gypsychic. I heard that S of fruitville may have less crime than North, but this is why I'm still researching.
Any specific cross roads that point me toward the neighborhood that you are talking about?
Whitfield is north of University Parkway and the airport and is both east and west of US 41.

As Sunshine above pointed out, it might be a good idea to rent somewhere before committing to buy, it gives you a chance to learn the "lay of the land" and figure out what suits you best.

What we love about our neighborhood (Whitfield) is it's beauty, it's eclectic nature, large yards, sidewalks, proximity to the bay, and convenience to shopping in either Sarasota, Bradenton, or the University Parkway corridor. Quite a few residents have lived here for decades. There are some houses for rent occasionally in this neighborhood that allow dogs, my neighbors with dogs rented down the street before they purchased their home. But it's the luck of the draw to find one available when you need it.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2011, 02:26 PM

53 posts, read 124,252 times
Hey KRH,
I agree with the others...you really should rent first! I have talked to some people who moved here and rented and then completely changed their minds on what area to settle in and were glad they waited to buy. I rent south of Fruitville in a neighborhood just south of Ringling off of Tuttle Ave. to be exact and love it! I also have pets. Most landlords are ok with pets as long as you give a deposit usually. I found this rental a few years ago on Craigslist and some people just put signs out. Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area