Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 12:09 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,577 times

Advertisements

Hi, I thought to share this here because as much as everyone loves the beautiful sand of Siesta Key Beach I found it wasn't nearly enough like "sand" to use in my newest sculpture! She is a mermaid and I wanted a sandy base so I used the Nokomis Beach sand to get the look I wanted

here is a link to her on ebay Let me know if that's not cool and certainly don't click the link if you think I shouldn't have posted it If you do check it out, that sand is permanently fixed on there, it's glued on ther I gave it a few coats of matte sealer. I am really have with the Nokomis sand and the effect I got with it, just the right grittiness (is that a word?) I don't think i could have done that with Siesta sand.

on a side note...I am *thrilled* to have my act together enough to finally be sculpting and making dolls and figures again! yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:43 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Don't know if it's cool to post it here but it definitely is cool that you create these things! As a non-artist, I love seeing how creative artists are.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:44 PM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
I think she is lovely!

Old 06-04-2011, 05:19 AM

531 posts, read 1,161,945 times
Wow, your work is incredible, and I can see that it must be very time consuming. Good job! :-)

Old 06-04-2011, 12:28 PM

thanks for the nice comments. as far as time consuming...i typically put 10-20+ hrs into a piece.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 AM

531 posts, read 1,161,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
thanks for the nice comments. as far as time consuming...i typically put 10-20+ hrs into a piece.
Considering how detailed your sculpture is, 10-20+ hours doesn't seem like very much time to invest, and I'm sure you're enjoying the process? I've sent the ebay auction to my friend, and she's hoping the bidding doesn't go up too much, because she would really love to OWN your faerie! Good job!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen and Jim View Post
Considering how detailed your sculpture is, 10-20+ hours doesn't seem like very much time to invest, and I'm sure you're enjoying the process? I've sent the ebay auction to my friend, and she's hoping the bidding doesn't go up too much, because she would really love to OWN your faerie! Good job!
thank you so much! You're right about enjoying the process, there's not too much I would rather do!

Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 AM

275 posts, read 715,294 times
I too am amazed at the talent which an artist has to visualize a finished piece. I understand the mechanics of most sculptures (and am quite good at many of the processes) but I have zero imagination (zip, nada) to create a piece. It's best that I just stick to restoring things that were the product of someone else's creative process.

I hope that people recognize it's value, and prove it by bidding accordingly. I like it

Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,850 times
WOnderful piece, and Congrats on having "your act together" to be able to get back to sculpting.

I just spent the weekend at the Rittenhouse Art Fair in Philly - a very high end show.( THe art market unfortunately is WAY DOWN this year - a bad economy shows first in art purchases.)
This quality of work could very well have been juried in there.

Have you done / are you planning to do any Art or Crafts fairs in Sarasota area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area