Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:48 AM

125 posts, read 197,252 times

Advertisements

I had lots of great advice before the great move from Maryland and have been so busy but wanted to post just to update whoever might be interested....
We arrived by Autotrain 6/16/11, me and the two kids. It wasn't bad at all, even for sleeping in a closet all night. The Autotrain staff were great and were even able to provide gluten free meal for my 4 year old.

My husband's trip with the cats was somewhat uneventful. I definitely recommend Acepromazine to anyone driving long distance with a cat (or two). He did stop overnight with a friend in NC, kept the cats in the garage and lost one of them for a few hours (found hiding behind a piano).

The drive from Sanford to Sarasota was a piece of cake and we arrived around 1pm as the movers were finishing up. Our Uship movers were great! They cost around $2k less than a 'national' mover, some stuff was banged up a little but they left Maryland on Tues evening and delivered to Sarasota Thursday am.

So we've spent the past week or so shopping, swimming and loving Sarasota! People have been so friendly and helpful. Compared to Baltimore, Sarasota seems very small with everything we need right on the doorstep....and great shopping!!

We love the beach, the Gulf is so warm and the sand at Siesta Key is amazing. Yes, it's hot here but so is Maryland and at least I wont be digging out of 20+ inches of snow next January

Thanks again everyone for your input before, hope I didn't bore to tears and hope to encourage anyone else planning to take the plunge.
Claire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 AM

531 posts, read 1,162,260 times
Soooo glad to hear you all made it "home" with no problems.....very encouraging for us, because we will have to transport a dog (our daughter's dog) and our 2 cats when it's our turn. We were happy to read that you've settled in so well already, and are enjoying the beach, shopping, etc. BEST of LUCK to you all, and thanks for letting us know how you're making out! Keep smiling and happy!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 02:19 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
K & J, any news on selling your house?

Old 06-27-2011, 02:20 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Default Welcome to the area

Glad you and yours made it here safely and are enjoying the area. Not bored at all with the updates from you and others posting about your arrivals to the area. It's nice of you to take the time out of what must be a fun, but sometimes stressful period as well, to share your experience getting acclimated to Sarasota to date. It is a lovely area; can never get enough of the beaches, Make sure you visit Marina Jacks for a wonderful view while dinning out some time in the future.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:31 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
So glad you updated! I am always curious about the posters here who plan to move and if and when they actually did.

Welcome to our beautiful area, and may you love and enjoy it as much as we all do!

Old 06-27-2011, 02:44 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,421 times
Sign me jealous in Connecticut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabella View Post
I had lots of great advice before the great move from Maryland and have been so busy but wanted to post just to update whoever might be interested....
We arrived by Autotrain 6/16/11, me and the two kids. It wasn't bad at all, even for sleeping in a closet all night. The Autotrain staff were great and were even able to provide gluten free meal for my 4 year old.

My husband's trip with the cats was somewhat uneventful. I definitely recommend Acepromazine to anyone driving long distance with a cat (or two). He did stop overnight with a friend in NC, kept the cats in the garage and lost one of them for a few hours (found hiding behind a piano).

The drive from Sanford to Sarasota was a piece of cake and we arrived around 1pm as the movers were finishing up. Our Uship movers were great! They cost around $2k less than a 'national' mover, some stuff was banged up a little but they left Maryland on Tues evening and delivered to Sarasota Thursday am.

So we've spent the past week or so shopping, swimming and loving Sarasota! People have been so friendly and helpful. Compared to Baltimore, Sarasota seems very small with everything we need right on the doorstep....and great shopping!!

We love the beach, the Gulf is so warm and the sand at Siesta Key is amazing. Yes, it's hot here but so is Maryland and at least I wont be digging out of 20+ inches of snow next January

Thanks again everyone for your input before, hope I didn't bore to tears and hope to encourage anyone else planning to take the plunge.
Claire

Old 06-27-2011, 02:45 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
We moved here from Baltimore, too.

Long story short: no-brainer.

You'll love it. Stay active and keep exploring.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:46 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Glad you finally made it here and are enjoying the area

Old 06-27-2011, 06:44 PM

440 posts, read 1,053,045 times
Great news about your smooth move down. We hoping to soon follow with our dog and parrot. We'll have to stop several nights along the way since I don't do well with long drives. If only autotrain allowed pets we'd be set.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,421 times
Clarabella,

congrats on making such a big move! my husband, toddler son & i are considering making the move to sarasota from CT. maybe you can offer some suggestions? are you renting in FL until you sell your house back in MD? assuming you plan to buy, what areas/developments are you looking in? what was the impetus for your move? sorry for all the questions, but any advice you can offer would be much appreciated. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabella View Post

Claire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area