Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:05 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,577 times

Advertisements

Couldn't find a thing to do yesterday afternoon. We wanted something fun & indoors around 3pm and it was spur of the moment.

Livingstons smelly but we wanted to ride the go karts: had a small time window and were closed at 2pm
Coconuts on Bee Ridge looked small and aimed at a little kid crowd
Bounce U had a 1 hr session at 3pm and we were 25 min away. that was the only session they had and we wouldn't make it in time. we'll try monday.
Mote went last week
Gwiz went last week
Mall we did bungy, in-door ice skating & food court last week while shopping

A movie was our only option but we wanted to DO something, not sit there

Any other ideas? I'm still pretty new here and I felt bad telling the kids "Sorry, there's nothing to do."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Some ideas are roller skating, ice skating, bowling, indoor swimming pool, and the library.

50 Fun and Free Things to do in Sarasota Florida web site: 50 Fun and Free things to do in Sarasota Florida - Sarasota Florida Vacation & Accommodations Guide

Stardust Skate Center.
Sarasota's largest air conditioned roller skating/dance arena. D.J. playing all of your favorite music and a large projection screen playing your favorite videos. Open Fri, Sat, & Sunday. 2571 12th Street. Sarasota. (941) 365-6888.

Florida Wheels Skating Center.
Daily Rollerskating under a full stereo sound & lighting system. Wednesday Night is Dollar Night - 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm. 3611 Third Street West, Bradenton. Adjacent to Desoto Square Mall. (941)747-8602

Ellenton Ice & Sports Complex ice skating rinks.
State-of-the-art domed "igloo-like" facility offers the community a sporting center for recreational and entertainment activities for all ages. Inside the structure are two NHL size ice rinks and a USA Hockey Official inline rink, a fitness center, video game room, four party rooms, and a full service restaurant. Hours: 9-6 Mon.-Fri., 9-4 Sat., Closed Sunday. Located just off I 75, Exit 43 in Ellenton. 5309 29th Street East. (941) 723 - 3663.

Pelican Pete's Playland, Englewood
Features miniature golf, batting cages, video arcade and go-kart tracks. Open noon-9 p.m. daily. 3101 McCall Road S., Englewood (941) 475-2008.

Sarasota County Library System.
8 libraries in the area to serve you. Including The Summer Reading Program - for children ages 5-11 (K-5th grade). Thematic, literature based programs offered weekly during the summer. Programs encourage children to read so that they retain and reinforce their reading skills while school is not in session. Reading logs are provided for children to keep track of daily reading. (941) 861-5000. Also, listen to Dial-A-Story (941) 486-2330 - You will hear a 2-4 minute story. These stories might be fairy tales, legends, holiday stories, or fables.

Sarasota Family YMCA.
Four fitness branches offerering more than 60 youth and family development programs within six counties. The Sarasota Family YMCA provides free childcare at the Frank G. Berlin, Sr. and Evalyn Sadlier Jones branches. Children as young as six weeks up to 5-years-old are welcome for two-hour periods seven days a week while their parents enjoy the Y. The YMCA also provides after school care programs. When school is out or after the school day is complete, children are supervised at Sarasota County schools by a professional and licensed YMCA team. Children socialize with other kids their age and enjoy indoor and outdoor games, sports, arts & crafts and other challenging activities. (941) 951-2916 x1061. Child Care Offices (941) 952-9533 ext. 201

Old 07-17-2011, 08:36 AM

385 posts, read 1,159,420 times
Stardust Rollerskating? Stardust Skate Center | Schedule

Ice Skating? Ellenton Ice Rink Tampa Bay Clearwater Bradenton Sarasota Florida

Bowling? AMF Bowling | Bowling Centers, Parties, Events, Locations

Old 07-17-2011, 09:14 AM

43 posts, read 80,037 times
I don't know if this is too far from you but how about mini-golf? When I was looking for homes at Lakewood Ranch, I noticed they added The Fish Hole to their Main Street...looked like fun!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:23 PM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
AMF Bowling has kids bowl 2 free games during the summer. If you go online and register, the next day they will send you a coupon for 2 free games for each child you register. You only need to pay for the shoes.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 AM

52 posts, read 110,265 times
There is also mini-golf, a small arcade, and ice cream off of Bee Ridge at Evie's. Marina Jacks has the water fountains and a playground. You could drive up to Ellenton and go to the skating rink and I think they may also have lazer tag?? Haven't been there in many years, so I'm not sure.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2live2011 View Post
There is also mini-golf, a small arcade, and ice cream off of Bee Ridge at Evie's. Marina Jacks has the water fountains and a playground. You could drive up to Ellenton and go to the skating rink and I think they may also have lazer tag?? Haven't been there in many years, so I'm not sure.
we didn't really want to drive 45 minutes at 3pm for a little spontaneous fun. Also, out of curiosity I just looked it up. The only Public Ice Skating Session on a Saturday is 1:15-3:15 then it's 8pm-10pm. There seems to be Laser Tag in Largo & Tampa but I didn't see anything in Ellenton (just for future reference) Bowling is an option, just not a family favorite so we overlooked it.

The roller rink has limited skating sessions too, we would have missed that since it's only 1:30-4pm. The next session is 7:30-10pm.

I didn't know about Evies so I will look into that.

Marina Jack's water fountain & playground are not suited to my kids ages (they are too big and old for that) & it was pouring rain anyway. The playground equipment was scorching hot when we visited there last July mid-day, also more for younger kiddies. We were looking for indoor options to stay cool and get out of the rain.

I don't see how the YMCA is an option for a family of 4 at 3pm on a saturday afternoon? What would we do, print out guest passes and go work out for an hour? We were out in the car looking for something to do LOL

seems like it would have had to be Bowling or a Movie unless I can plan the day ahead of time. I know there are many things to do and places to go if we want to drive 30-45-60+ minutes but we are pretty spontaneous and would have liked a couple more options. At least I learned all these places have very limited schedules and I can plan for future weekends.

Thanks for the ideas.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 PM

I mentioned the YMCA because they have a variety of options for families and it is indoors. I recommended it because it has an indoor swimming pool. You don't have to use the Y just to work out, that is not all that the Y is. You can pay for the day. Here is their web site if you want to check out all of their programs. I know many families that use the Y and the kids enjoy it. Sarasota Family YMCA - Sarasota, Florida (http://www.sarasota-ymca.org/aboutUs/ - broken link)

Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
I mentioned the YMCA because they have a variety of options for families and it is indoors. I recommended it because it has an indoor swimming pool. You don't have to use the Y just to work out, that is not all that the Y is. You can pay for the day. Here is their web site if you want to check out all of their programs. I know many families that use the Y and the kids enjoy it. Sarasota Family YMCA - Sarasota, Florida (http://www.sarasota-ymca.org/aboutUs/ - broken link)
thanks for the idea. i looked at the Y after you first mentioned it and couldn't see anything you could pop in to do. i looked at the site again now, maybe I am missing something? Let me know because I would definitely like to have more options.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Click on the image to see the list of activities at the 3 Sarasota YMCA's. They do have daily rates you can pay which are listed on their web site as well. Help: Spur of the moment kid fun-ymca.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area