Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 AM

192 posts, read 471,174 times

Advertisements

I've been home shopping ( long distance ) in Sarasota, from Colorado.
I here all the time about how " terrible" the heat is in the summer there.
So.... I had an opportunity to visit the Keys last week for 6 days and jumped on a plane. Every day was in the low 90's and very sunny. I loved it and never felt hot. I know that it is different because of the breezes, but if I enjoyed that, and could do Key summer weather every day, would I really be that shocked by Sarasota's summer heat. Also, why when driving down from Ft. Lauderdale to KW, did we never have and bugs?
Am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:06 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,558,281 times
The summer time in Southwest Florida is the hottest. There are some days with low humidity and the heat really doesn't bother you. When it is humid, you sweat just standing outside. Our area gets gentle breezes from the Gulf, so it makes the heat more bearable than I would say in Central FL or some other states where you are inland. As far as the bugs, we don't get a lot on our car. The only time you get bugs is love bug season. They will totally cover your car even if you just drive down the road.

Here is some information on Southwest Florida weather:
Florida is called the sunshine state for a good reason. The average annual temperature in Southwest Florida is 74 degrees. Temperatures range from the mid 90's in the summer to upper 60's in the winter. In the winter you only need a light jacket in the morning or evening. In the summer the breeze off of the Gulf keeps you comfortable most of the time. It keeps the temperatures from exceeding 100 degrees even during the dog days of summer. Prevailing winds are an easterly average of 12-18mph.

The rainy season is in the summer and early fall. Typically there are rain showers in the late afternoon/evening just in time to cool things down. The average yearly rainfall is approximately 50 inches, with two-thirds occurring from June to September. Frequent lightening and heavy downpours are common during these rainmaking events, but they do not last long. This is also the season for tropical storms and hurricanes. Residents just need to keep a close eye on the weather and developing systems.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:47 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,505,104 times
i have been to the keys this time of year and the weather is the same as Sarasota, IMO. they get some breezes and so do we. Also the rain in the afternoon does cool it down somewhat.

Ditto for bugs. With so many posts about the bugs, you would expect to at least notice them when you come to FL. But you barely notice them, unless you step in an ant hill. As far as bugs, I have noticed more up north in terms of mosquitos and yellow jackets and wasps. Here, we get some skeeters at sunset, and a few palmetto bugs on rare occasions. Also many love bugs in April and October. They look like lightening bugs minus the flasher. But it's not all buggy like you might expect.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:10 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,088,316 times
It use to be that from about June 15 to Sept. 15 the high temp for the day in Sarasota was around 92-93 degrees. But the last few years there have been many days where it didn't get up to 90 degrees.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:07 PM

879 posts, read 1,954,697 times
some folks were complaining today that it's been a hot summer but i expected worse. there is always a nice breeze and we have super duper a/c

Old 08-06-2011, 05:46 AM

774 posts, read 2,384,085 times
Some people cannot tolerate heat and therefore Florida isn't where they should be.

For me....it's close to heaven.....

I exercise in the morning...

errands/chores and a little "siesta" in the afternoon....

out for the evening at night, which usually includes sunset on the beach.

Paradise.

Mikey

Old 08-06-2011, 05:58 PM

113 posts, read 223,693 times
I'm also in Colorado and considering a move to Sarasota. I grew up in Panama City, FL, and lived in AL for about 10 years. I kept hearing that dry heat is so much better than humid heat, so I was very excited about moving to Colorado.

After being here for a little over a year, I have decided that those people lied. Yes, the humidity is rough, and on a hot day you'll break a sweat walking out the front door (and need a full shower after sitting in the fully-baked car for 30 seconds). But beyond that, I really don't feel much of a difference between here and there when the temps are the same.

Humidity isn't my favorite thing, but I'll take that over winter weather any day!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:26 PM

182 posts, read 273,149 times
the old saying is largely correct, 'its not the heat, its the HUMIDITY'....in Ohio, for example, you have 8 extremely pleasant months [April through November], with a touch of humidity in August...then 2 'cool' months---[December and March]...and just two rather 'cold' months with average highs in the 30s [january and february]. And yet, truth be told, in January you will be comfortable riding a bike in 25 degrees if you just put on a warm jacket, gloves, and a hat. The problem with Florida humidity for 8 months is that you can't dress for it and be comfortable outside. [perspiration does not evaporate in the tropical humidity, so you are drenched]. To move to Florida you must realize and accept that you are trading 2 months of cold and in exchange, you are getting 8 months of jungle humidity in which it is difficult to engage in any outdoor activity for any period of time. Not to mention the intense glare of the relentless sunshine and its assault on both your eyes and on your skin. Just please understand what you are choosing. Personally, I don't mind the two cold months, I just dress for it. But i can't stand humidity, or getting into a 100 degree car with hot-plate temperature seats and steering wheel. But for those who like heat and humidity most of the year, Florida WILL BE your 'Paradise.'

Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM

89 posts, read 105,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
the old saying is largely correct, 'its not the heat, its the HUMIDITY'....in Ohio, for example, you have 8 extremely pleasant months [April through November], with a touch of humidity in August...then 2 'cool' months---[December and March]...and just two rather 'cold' months with average highs in the 30s [january and february]. And yet, truth be told, in January you will be comfortable riding a bike in 25 degrees if you just put on a warm jacket, gloves, and a hat. The problem with Florida humidity for 8 months is that you can't dress for it and be comfortable outside. [perspiration does not evaporate in the tropical humidity, so you are drenched]. To move to Florida you must realize and accept that you are trading 2 months of cold and in exchange, you are getting 8 months of jungle humidity in which it is difficult to engage in any outdoor activity for any period of time. Not to mention the intense glare of the relentless sunshine and its assault on both your eyes and on your skin. Just please understand what you are choosing. Personally, I don't mind the two cold months, I just dress for it. But i can't stand humidity, or getting into a 100 degree car with hot-plate temperature seats and steering wheel. But for those who like heat and humidity most of the year, Florida WILL BE your 'Paradise.'
Facts from the Weather Channel dispute what you say. Only 4 months of higher heat and humidity.

Average Weather for Sarasota, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 PM

89 posts, read 105,083 times
The average temperature in Cleveland is below freezing half the year and it is one of the snowiest cities in USA. I'll take Sarasota over Cleveland any day

Average annual snowfall for the snowiest large US cities:CityYearly Snowfall InchesCentimetresRochester, New York100.3255Buffalo, New York 97.0246Cleveland, Ohio 63.1160Average annual snowfall for the snowiest large US cities:CityYearly Snowfall InchesCentimetresRochester, New York100.3255Buffalo, New York 97.0246Cleveland, Ohio 63.1160
Average annual snowfall for the snowiest large US cities:CityYearly Snowfall InchesCentimetresRochester, New York100.3255Buffalo, New York 97.0246Cleveland, Ohio 63.1160
Snowiest Cities in United States - Current Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area