Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times

Advertisements

[quote=TamRE;20393418]Click the image below to see some current listings:
Attachment 83476

Why is there such a HUGE disparity in the RE taxes on the last 3 properties on this list? They are all condo's, all $249,000 to $249,900, in the same general area. One is slightly bigger, but I still don't get the disparity.

Maybe I don't understand how property taxes are calculated in these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
There are some canal front or canal access options in your price range in Sarasota and also in NW Bradenton near the Anna Maria or Cortez bridges. Are you looking for the waterfront aspect or do you have a boat? If you have now or plan to buy a boat, what size and type as not all canals may be deep enough or docks long enough to accomodate yours. If you give me a little more information as to what you're looking for, I can suggest some communities or condo complexes.
Thank you - VERY much! We don't have a boat, but would purchase one if we made this move. In fact, boating and fishing is really the biggest reason we are considering FL. At our age, trailering and launching every time we want to use the boat would not be a great idea - and it eliminates the option of one of us taking it out alone for a few hours. Hence, the desire for a dock or commuity with a marina. The size of the boat would be small -likely 19-20' deck boat, so I don't think the draft would be a problem, and sailboat access is definitely unnecessary.

We would be open to a 55+ community, but not a manufactured home.

Can I reasonably assume that all these areas you guys are suggesting have at least a LITTLE bit of seabreeze to cut through that humidity a bit?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:55 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Can I reasonably assume that all these areas you guys are suggesting have at least a LITTLE bit of seabreeze to cut through that humidity a bit?

Yes, all of the ones I gave you are on the water or very near, so you would get sea breezes.

I noticed you're from Phoenix. I have cousins that live in Chandler and Mesa, and I have visited them many times over the years. Winter is ok but I was there once in August --- and burnt my hand on a car door handle. Everyone kept telling me it was dry heat, but heat is heat and metal handles and car seats got HOT in the AZ sun.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post

Yes, all of the ones I gave you are on the water or very near, so you would get sea breezes.

I noticed you're from Phoenix. I have cousins that live in Chandler and Mesa, and I have visited them many times over the years. Winter is ok but I was there once in August --- and burnt my hand on a car door handle. Everyone kept telling me it was dry heat, but heat is heat and metal handles and car seats got HOT in the AZ sun.
A bit OT, I know: we're not too bothered by the AZ heat, but husband doesn't do too well with humidity. Which makes it hard to find a place where we can live year round, enjoy good fishing and boating, and not deal with snow. So how would you compare the humid summer of SW Florida with a sea breeze to Mesa/Chandler in August?

Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
We live in PGI, in a 5-year-old complex (no Chinese drywall) right on a canal, 2.5 mile walk from Charlotte Harbor. There are 12 units in the complex, six with private docks. All units are 1600+ sq ft, two bedrooms (huge master bedroom), two full baths, family room/den/3rd bedroom, living room, separated dining room, large kitchen, breakfast counter, laundry room, three closets (one is very large), abundant storage spaces with built-in wine rack, large lanai, oversize garage (builder's mistake, our gain.) Sea breeze is almost constant. Last July 4th, we simply stood on our dock, drank our coffee while watching fireworks from Charlotte Harbor -- no muss, no fuss.

It's not a true 55+ community but no one here is under 55. One upstairs unit (without dock) is listed at $140s, and two with dock are listed in the $180s - $220s range.

The complex is on a small cul-de-sac with no traffic whatsoever, and the tranquility is unsurpassed. Ospreys, hawks, and cormorants above head; herons, white ibises, and pelicans on docks; squirrels and lizards on the grass; manatees, box turtle, and dozens different kinds of fish in the water -- it's like watching a nature show every day from the lanai. If you like PG, you should check out PGI.

(Note: I'm not a real estate agent. I'm not related to or know any local RE agent. I'm not an owner or know any owner with a unit for sale either.)

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 08-10-2011 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,778,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
A bit OT, I know: we're not too bothered by the AZ heat, but husband doesn't do too well with humidity. Which makes it hard to find a place where we can live year round, enjoy good fishing and boating, and not deal with snow. So how would you compare the humid summer of SW Florida with a sea breeze to Mesa/Chandler in August?
As a Phoenix, AZ native who moved to Port Charlotte...I will take SWFL any day in the summer over the Valley of the Sweat, where my last summer there featured 61 days in a row about 115 degrees actual temp. I sent you a private message with some info on our experiences. (not a realtor either...just a desert rat turned old salt).

Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
thank you again! A couple of questions, please, Tam?

What is a "deed restricted" home? We have Home Owner's Associations (HOA's) in Arizona. Is this the same thing?

I noticed a couple of things you pulled say "tenants no pets". Does that mean that if we rent the place, the tenants cannot have pets - but WE can (I recognize that there are probably weight and number limitations in condo's.)
Most of them if they say no pets, it means no pets for tenants or buyers.

A deed restricted community is where the community has a homeowner association (HOA) that has rules and regulations pertaining to the use of land and the look of the neighborhood. Usually it is initiated by the developer. Most deed restricted communities require a homeowner association fee to continue the upkeep of the community.

Each deed restricted community has different rules. Deed restrictions can include the size of home allowed on the lot, paint colors for the exterior of the home, as well as lawn maintenance, landscaping, and some even regulate tree-cutting. Some communities do not allow the storage of campers, trailers, or cars that don't run or vehicles with company names or logos on them. They can dictate what types of materials a fence can be made out of, or even not allow fences at all. Another restriction might be regarding pets. Some will only allow one pet or limit the breed and size of the pet. Building additional structures on the lot such as a shed or gazebo can also be restricted.

Some of the benefits of living in a deed restricted community are that amenities are often included. These can be anything from golfing, use of swimming pool, tennis courts, a fitness center, or even a club house. These amenities are owned by the members of the community and are common ground. Another benefit is that communities with deed restrictions maintain their value and are more desirable to potential buyers.

It is important to be aware of the deed restrictions on a property before making an offer. If you are thinking of buying a home in a deed restricted community, you will want to get a copy of the deed restrictions before you buy and read it over carefully. These can either be obtained from the seller or directly from the homeowner association.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
[quote=Jkgourmet;20401039]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Click the image below to see some current listings:
Attachment 83476

Why is there such a HUGE disparity in the RE taxes on the last 3 properties on this list? They are all condo's, all $249,000 to $249,900, in the same general area. One is slightly bigger, but I still don't get the disparity.

Maybe I don't understand how property taxes are calculated in these areas?
Property Tax Disclosure: Buyer should not rely on the seller's current property taxes as the amount of property taxes that the buyer may be obligated to pay in the year subsequent to purchase. A change of ownership or property improvements triggers reassessment of the property that could result in higher property taxes. If you have any questions concerning valuation, contact the county property appraiser's office for information. The home you are interested in purchasing may be homestead. Homesteading caps the tax assessments on the home during ownership. MLS records do not necessarily reflect current tax assessments.

The other issue that may arise that would increase the property taxes is the fact that some HOA communities charge a CDD fee which is included in the taxes. A CDD fee is a Community District Development fee and is charged for items such as roads, utlities and amenities. It is usually initiated by the developer to help pay for infrastructure and maintenance of the community.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 PM

I'm just fine with deed restricted - sounds like our AZ HOA communities. In fact, we prefer them. But "no pets at all" for owners? Nope, I'll pass on that one!

I read through your comments in the property tax disclosure. But, I still don't understand how RE taxes are calculated in FL? And, your comments make NO mention of property taxes being decreased - only increased!

My confusion lies in what I am used to. In Maricopa county AZ property taxes are based on market value as determined by the assessor. An owner can appeal AND actually win and get a decrease ( as I due last year(.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:30 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,778,590 times
in the simplest terms...if you only own on home in Florida, you can sign a declaration making it your primary residence (Homestead) and after the assessed value has been determined they will deduct $50,000 from the assessed value before assessing your taxes.

this is why someone advertising a condo for sale, they own as an investment, shows the annual taxes at $5000 but an identical condo in the same complex may be sold by a party who owns it as a primary resident and their taxes were only $3000.

You will only get the benefit of the lesser property tax if it's the only home you own in Florida and you sign the declaration of homestead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area