Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 AM

8 posts, read 23,093 times

Advertisements

Is anyone aware of any homeschooling groups or organizations in the Sarasota area that are not heavily influenced with religion. We homeschool our children and are looking to relocate to the area next summer (2012). While we teach our children manners, responsibility and respect for all people, we are not religious and in our current location ALL homeschooling groups are heavily religion based. Just wondering if there are any groups that home school for the same academic reasons as us and do not feel the need to focus on the childrens religion. Thanks for any suggestions on places where I can look for more info on the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
Yes, I home school both of my younger girls. I had the same problem when I began homeschooling. The only group in the area that I found who isn't religious is the Suncoast Home schoolers. They are accepting of everyone, regardless of religion or not. The other groups required a "letter of faith".

Robin Hagan is the head of the group and here is their page: suncoasthomeschoolers.com You have to request to be a "member". She just verifies a few things and then will let you have access to the forum so you can check things out. The group is terrific and very supportive. You'll get the idea once you can check out the forum.

Here's their Facebook page: //www.facebook.com/pages/Suncoa...19606721411551

Suncoast has approximately 120 families that meet at local parks once a week, there's a game night once a month, many different clubs for the kids, camping once a month, dances, field trips, etc

The only issue I have with the group is that there aren't a ton of teenagers. I'm thinking of putting my oldest back in public school for this reason.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the group you may have.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 10-03-2011 at 07:59 AM..

Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 AM

8 posts, read 23,093 times
Thanks SoFLGal! Like always, I post a question about the area and you have great insight! We will check this group out for sure. 120 families, that is as large as my daughter's whole 3rd grade class at the public school that she was enrolled in last year. Thanks once again for the information!

Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
Florida Virtual School is an online program free for homeschoolers as long as they are Florida residents. Many of the students take their courses there. Here is the link to look up information about the school: Home School | meLearning | Florida Virtual School | Home Schooling

Here is a Homeschoolers Guide for Florida Virtual School that should answer any questions you may have: http://www.flvs.net/Students/Documen...meEd_Guide.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area