Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 05:58 PM

69 posts, read 172,469 times

Advertisements

I'm soliciting opinions on the Lake Sarasota area. I've heard mixed reviews, depending on where in Lake Sarasota one lives, but I'd like some opinions. The area I'm looking at is Santo/Brentford area, right behind the fire station. In particular, crime rate in the area, and what types of problems you've had. It is supposed to be a "family neighborhood" -- are the residents nice?

If I don't buy in that area, my other option would put me in the McIntosh Middle School area. What are some feelings on that school as compared with Sarasota Middle?

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times
For what it's worth, I sold a home on Brentford near Santo to a couple last spring. They have 3 boys of various ages and just spoke with them a couple of weeks ago. They love the neighborhood and the schools (middle and high school). The boys play basketball on the driveway and have made friends with a number of the neighborhood children.

I also have friends renting on Friendship and that are in the process of purchasing a home in Lake Sarasota because they like the neighborhood and want to keep their 14 year old daughter in the same school district.

Most of the neighborhood is nice, good mix of families and retirees. There is a voluntary HOA, the subdivision is not deed restricted. The western part of the subdivision is mostly 1980's built homes, as you go SE you'll find 1980's - 1990's built homes with a few newer homes mixed in, as you move east (along Bee Ridge) you run into several streets with smaller, 1960's built ranch homes, then the very eastern most section is mainly 1990's and 2000+ built homes. There are a few duplexes along Bee Ridge that are not in the best of condition, that may be why you've heard some mixed reviews.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 AM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
While I agree with Sunshine Rules for the most part, I think there is another side to that area. I work and travel through the neighborhood. I see too many teens and young adults roaming around during the day (during the school year).
Saying that, it's easier to ignore / control that behavior when you don't have kids in that peer group. I have a co worker with teen age daughters that lives there.She told me that all of their friends are from school, none from the neighborhood.I have another co worker without kids who lives there and loves it.
I am sure there are a lot of GREAT people who live there, but if I had teenagers I would also look elsewhere. (just my opinion)
Where in the Macintosh are you are looking?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:17 AM

69 posts, read 172,469 times
@Picshooter - Thanks for the response, and thanks to Sunshine Rules, too.
As far as McIntosh, one possibility is Colonial Oaks. I also really like the area just north of Bahia Vista, like around Woodview Dr. Can't remember the name of the neighborhood.

I've heard there's a lot of bullying incidents at McIntosh, that's why I asked.

Thanks for the responses on Lake Sarasota. I see there have been quite a lot of break-ins into automobiles, and some daytime burglaries around Santo/Brentford, but especially the eastern part of Brentford where some of the "not-so-nice" neighborhoods are (east of the fires station). Mixed feelings on the neighborhood based on the crime data.

Last edited by jamurphy; 07-12-2012 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: clarify one sentence

Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
If you have children that age, you know that middle school can be the tough age. Peer pressure can be tough. Bullying should not be tolerated, and IF it happens I would assume the school would put a stop to it.

BTW, I sent you a DM

Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
I live in Lake Sarasota. Built a house 14 years ago when the east area was undeveloped with dirt roads and sparsely developed. Roads paved, water sewer, sidewalks 12 years ago. There were 140 empty lots and was totally built out within 3 years. West half use to be deed restricted but many new residents decided 'we don't need no stinkin deed restrictions' HOA ran out of money trying to enforce rules. Now restrictions are not enforced. My area never had restrictions. Sub-division is heavy 'family' because of the nearby school. Because some owners can't rent/sell, they are accepting HUD sec8
I've never had any problems and neither have any of the neighbors. My issue with the area is 'noise'. Whinning kids, basket balls, motorcycles, barking yard dogs in stereo, always hearing a chain saw. I can't hear the noise from the firehouse or I-75 or traffic on Bee Ridge Rd. But at least we don't have to smell the aroma of garbage since the dump closed. There are plans on the drawing board to widen Bee Ridge. Survey work has been done and some of the duplexes have been bought and demolished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area