Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:44 AM

275 posts, read 715,393 times

Advertisements

I deal with shippers all the time, as that's how the majority of the cars I work on arrive/leave. I was *just* given the number of a company that decided to cut out the middle man (broker) and line up their own jobs.

This Coupe will be going back to NJ tomorrow and the cost to the car's owner was quoted to be $300.00 (versus $900.00 to get here). This will be the same driver/same service, just cutting out the broker!

Their contact info is: Bev @ 419 490 4858 No harm in calling, as they may run NY to FL.

I have another car here (the silver Rdstr w/hdtp in front of my Healey) that needs to go back to Long Island, but that guy is using Reliable Transportation (and they're ALL out in Monterey right now) because *his baby* is going in (covered/enclosed) style!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
I looked into it myself, at the time I was living at the Jersey shore. It sounded like a complete hassle and I was too nervous about it. I ended up AutoTraining it one way and driving the whole way going back. And therefore, over my lease miles. Would it be too far for one of you to drive the car to Lorton to do the AutoTrain? I was able to pack a lot of stuff in my car. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:43 AM

700 posts, read 1,819,650 times
Randy, NICE Stable! (now I see they are not all yours, dang!)
Another thought is to contact Roger's Corvettes in Maitland FL (407) 628-8300 and see who they use. He had a carrier pick up our creampuff vette when he purchased it. He buys rare vettes from all over the country and I suspect he only uses reputable companies.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 AM

To update this thread with *new* information, the contact's name is Deb (not Bev) @ 419 490 4858 and she just quoted me $600.00 to move my gray car from the Toledo area to Sarasota.

So by the end of the month, when Sue & I are doing our usual R&R on Lido Beach, we'll have taken ONE (1) STEP towards moving ourselves to Florida. When we leave the beach after two (<2) weeks, one (1) of our cars will be left behind in storage. I'm going to leave it up in Clearwater, so it'll be close to the airport (direct flights between Toledo & Clearwater are $89.00).

Let the moving begin...

Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
To update this thread with *new* information, the contact's name is Deb (not Bev) @ 419 490 4858 and she just quoted me $600.00 to move my gray car from the Toledo area to Sarasota.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
So by the end of the month, when Sue & I are doing our usual R&R on Lido Beach, we'll have taken ONE (1) STEP towards moving ourselves to Florida. When we leave the beach after two (<2) weeks, one (1) of our cars will be left behind in storage. I'm going to leave it up in Clearwater, so it'll be close to the airport (direct flights between Toledo & Clearwater are $89.00).

Let the moving begin...
Steps 2 & 3...

Also yesterday, I ordered an 8 x 8 x 16' (pod-like) container from Mayflower/United. It is hoped that I can fit 90% of my non-essential tools (the ones I don't use daily working on BMWs) and spare Healey parts, go-kart/associated parts, etc., etc. into this "box" to start the task of de-cluttering the house (basement and garage).

I went with Mayflower, because their container has a higher weight capacity (@ 7k Lbs, including container) than do their competitors. They'll keep it at a nearby warehouse until we're closer to our actual move-in date. Also, if it turns out I need a second container; they'll be cheaper to ship if they're traveling together. I really hope that I don't need another one...

Step 3 was accomplished a couple of hours ago, when I reserved a 10 x 20' storage unit in Clearwater. I need someplace to keep the gray car once we leave Lido Beach the middle of November. This one is as close to the Clearwater Airport as I could find.

Now, I just need to find a GPS locator/tracker to conceal in the car, put on its hardtop for traveling (safest way to transport a hardtop is mounted securely to the car) and pack a few essential items in the trunk (California duster, car cover, cleaning & detailing products, etc.)...

... oh, and to keep filling <<< small >>> boxes in the basement!

UPS notification E-mail says our builder received our signed/notarized documents today, so with the Notice of Commencement, and other legalese-document things, the permit applications can now be filed (he uses a private firm to do this, circumnavigating the bureaucratic delays, saying it usually only takes a week to have permits in hand so construction can begin.

Have I mentioned how excited Sue & I are getting? We're also scared to death, but mostly excited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area