Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times

Advertisements

Sarasota coaches and team suspended, disbanded for referee attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 04:34 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times
fortunately no. the sheriff said on the news this morning that there are a few on video that will be indentified and looking at some long prison terms. totally inexcusable.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:42 AM

the news said this morning that the referees have decided to not press charges. not a lawyer, but i believe that if there is an assault witnessed by police then the police have the responsibility to press charges. since there is a video then that is where the cops would witness it. regardless of who files charges they should be prosecuted. anyone that has been around kids sports have been pissed about the calls but smacking down the ref is not the way to handle it. maybe videoing the game and then taking that to the organization that provides the refs is a bit better of a way to pursue. at least that would keep one out of jail

Old 09-02-2011, 05:58 AM

142 posts, read 354,327 times
Like mom has always said "it's just a game". They need to be punished for their actions at least to set a good example. What will those kids think if they get off free?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:03 AM

sad to say but there is probably a line of college and pro recruiters waiting to talk to the kid that tackled the ref.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
not sure about that. it looked like he let up a bit at the end and didn't lead with his head.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:36 AM

355 posts, read 1,115,668 times
Saw this disturbing video earlier today.

Lack of sportsmanship and class. I'm glad they were suspended from the league, its the least that should've been done.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 PM

85 posts, read 191,535 times
This happen because of what they see in the NFL. I looked up to players when I was a kid. I tell my children there are no more heroes in the NFL now days.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:44 PM

8,266 posts, read 4,671,045 times
Shawn Tyson fires a gun into a car filled with people and they let him walk scott free. IMO this pales in comparison. Doesn't seem fair to me that the coaches will probably get the book thrown at them (4 years prison term) just because it's plastered all over YouTube and the news.

The prosecutors gotta be tough and look good now that this in the public eye. IMO the coaches probably represent no real threat to society - and yet a lot of money and resources will be wasted on a 'high profile' trial to 'send a message'.

I say if they have no priors give them probation and community service - with a short lease. (if they slip up again they get stiff sentences). I'm not excusing what the coaches and player did - but did you know that the referee actually threw the first punch? (Yes this was after a coach threw a water bottle at him and approached him. But just sayin')

Maybe give the coach that threw the water bottle a few months in prison to send a message. That's as for as I would go. (IF they have no priors)

Last edited by wondermint2; 09-02-2011 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Shawn Tyson fires a gun into a car filled with people and they let him walk scott free. IMO this pales in comparison. Doesn't seem fair to me that the coaches will probably get the book thrown at them (4 years prison term) just because it's plastered all over YouTube and the news.

The prosecutors gotta be tough and look good now that this in the public eye. IMO the coaches probably represent no real threat to society - and yet a lot of money and resources will be wasted on a 'high profile' trial to 'send a message'.

I say if they have no priors give them probation and community service - with a short lease. (if they slip up again they get stiff sentences). I'm not excusing what the coaches and player did - but did you know that the referee actually threw the first punch? (Yes this was after a coach threw a water bottle at him and approached him. But just sayin')

Maybe give the coach that threw the water bottle a few months in prison to send a message. That's as for as I would go. (IF they have no priors)
i cant believe anyone would equate that dirtball that some liberal judge caved on to what happened here? really some pretty twisted logic. if that line of thought was followed no one would ever be prosecuted. i bet if it were you or your husband that got beat on your desires would be different. these adults had no one forcing them on to the field to fight in front of the kids. this was aggression, not defense. they acted irresponsibly and were a poor example to the youth so therefor they should make an example of them to show what happens when one loses control. prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law and then ban them for life from youth sports. they will be reminded of this stupid act everytime their kid plays a game and mama has to take them.

as for 2 of the coaches that were arrested, they were pillars of their community. quote from the herald:

Both Bradley and Howard have several prior arrests.
Bradley, who lives in North Port, served three years in state prison after being convicted of selling crack cocaine in 2007. He was released from prison last August.
Howard was sentenced to a year in Sarasota County jail in 1999, court records show, after police found more than an ounce of crack cocaine in an apartment he shared with Eddie Austin, the president of the Gators football team.
Both Howard and Eddie Austin were convicted of drug possession with intent to sell.

how is it that convicted felons get to coach kids? maybe you would tolerate that with your kids.

here is the entire article.Sarasota youth football fight: Four arrested | HeraldTribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area