Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:17 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
If I need translations for a menu items, e.g. Mango coulis and gianduja semifreddo, and I'm not in a foreign country...I guess its just not my type of place.

good! More gianduja semifreddo for me! mmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yeah, that's what I what I meant as "too-too" LOL My husband and I at first thought their menu was a joke, as in being "tongue-in cheek" or something, but apparently not..

come on folks, it's got a few French and Italian techniques/preperations/ingredients but you really don't need the Rosetta Stone to figure out the menu! Hmm, and I thought you were so worldly gypsychic :P (just teasing)

AND there is nothing on the menu over $29.00. I think it looks great. I'm getting hungry reading the menu! They got me at the first appetizer!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:55 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
If I need translations for a menu items, e.g. Mango coulis and gianduja semifreddo, and I'm not in a foreign country...I guess its just not my type of place.
yah, if an interglactic crime fighter cant figure it out. i guess col deering, you and i dont run in the same upper crust circles. you can put a fancy french name on a pot pie, but at the end of the day its still a pot pie.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
yah, if an interglactic crime fighter cant figure it out. i guess col deering, you and i dont run in the same upper crust circles. you can put a fancy french name on a pot pie, but at the end of the day its still a pot pie.
why do you think using the proper cooking term or name of an ingredient is fancy? it's not pretentious, it's not fancy - it's just a friggin' voloute' and it's French and that's what it is LOL

Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
why do you think using the proper cooking term or name of an ingredient is fancy? it's not pretentious, it's not fancy - it's just a friggin' voloute' and it's French and that's what it is LOL
i will call it gravy cause thats all it is. im not in france. been there, didnt like it. Paris is one of the filthiest cities in Europe. they dont like americans even after all america has done for them. after all the US guys that died for them they still hate us. they make that apparent every chance they get. so i am not going to get all giddy about french food.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck - It's a...........CANARD!

Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
i will call it gravy cause thats all it is. im not in france. been there, didnt like it. Paris is one of the filthiest cities in Europe. they dont like americans even after all america has done for them. after all the US guys that died for them they still hate us. they make that apparent every chance they get. so i am not going to get all giddy about french food.
lol no one wants you to get giddy about french food. so, if i get this right you won't be having the potatos au gratin...you'll just order the cheesy 'taters? Do you mind if Mickey D's serves your Freedom Fries cut french the way they always have? I've been to Paris as well, it can be as dirty and nasty as they want - politics aside, the Louvre is amazing! C'mon - Versailles, Monmartre, a picnic by the Eiffle Tower - great times for a tourist! I'd go back

watch out though, according to the OED the word "gravy" appears to have a French origin!

Old 10-12-2011, 01:54 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
come on folks, it's got a few French and Italian techniques/preperations/ingredients but you really don't need the Rosetta Stone to figure out the menu! Hmm, and I thought you were so worldly gypsychic :P (just teasing)

AND there is nothing on the menu over $29.00. I think it looks great. I'm getting hungry reading the menu! They got me at the first appetizer!
Hehe - I don't know if I'm "worldly" and the menu might really be good. But when hubby and I looked at their menu after they first opened, it REALLY had a lot of really crazy, esoteric-sounding stuff on there which is why we thought they were actually making fun of some of the more pretentious types in town!

They do change their menus periodically, and this most recent menu is a little less weird sounding.

Go try it, janner, and let me know what that stuff is! I still think the whole place is really probably just not our style, though.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hehe - I don't know if I'm "worldly" and the menu might really be good. But when hubby and I looked at their menu after they first opened, it REALLY had a lot of really crazy, esoteric-sounding stuff on there which is why we thought they were actually making fun of some of the more pretentious types in town!

They do change their menus periodically, and this most recent menu is a little less weird sounding.

Go try it, janner, and let me know what that stuff is! I still think the whole place is really probably just not our style, though.
I showed DH the menu to see if I was nuts but he got excited and wants to try it LOL

Maybe I just watched too much Julia Child as a kid lol I am much more comfortable other styles than French but this is really not French, it's a mix. It looks good.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck - It's a...........CANARD!
you win the whole internet for today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area