Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 AM

644 posts, read 1,485,499 times

Advertisements

I have heard Lakewood Ranch has an active tennis program. Does anyone know if any of the other communities do also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:32 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
I understand Rosedale and Cascades also have very active programs but I think LWR has the largest facility. I have a customer who lives in Rosedale but still continues with LWR Athletic Center because of the size of the program and number of courts.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 AM

Thanks! It sounds like Lakewood Ranch does not restrict the use of these facilities to residents, then.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:27 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
The Lakewood Ranch fitness center has various levels of membership available at various prices. Lakewood Ranch Athletic Center - enjoy tennis, swimming - near Bradenton and Sarasota - New Homes

The city and county have several parks with tennis courts and programs, including Arlington Park, Potter Park and the Payne Park tennis center.

Several of the other local country club communities have tennis programs available to the public with membership, with various membership fee levels available. Those would include Serendipity at the Country Club of Sarasota (Palmer Ranch off of Beneva), Mistry Creek Country Club & Laurel Oaks Country Club (Bee Ridge east of I75, The Meadows has a racquet club (17th St east of Beneva) and Palm Aire Country Club (University Pkwy). Both the Serendipity Raquet Club and Laurel Oaks have extensive tennis programs.

There are other parks with tennis courts and other country club communities with tennis courts & programs, these are some of the more popular ones in the area.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Here are some Sarasota tennis facilities.

Lighted Tennis Courts
Sarasota Youth Athletic Complex
Arlington Park
Potter Park
Siesta Beach
Bee Ridge Park
Colonial Oaks Park
Fruitville Park
Longwood Park
Newtown Community Center
Newtown Estates
Pinebrook Park
Twin LOakes Park
Gillespie Park
Pioneer Park

Larger facilities
Payne Park Tennis Center
Riverview Tennis Courts

Private Tennis Clubs with membership opportunities
Field Club of Sarasota
Laurel Oak Country Club
Billy Stearns Tennis Center
Country Club of Sarasota
Landings Racquet Club
Meadows Racquet Club
Palm-Aire Racquet Club
Sarasota Family YMCA

Old 11-02-2011, 01:23 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Here are some communities with tennis.
Bayshore Gardens
Beacon Cove at River Place
Beekman Estates
Bent Tree Village
Bird Key
Boulevard Add to Sarasota
Braden River Lakes
Briarwood
Carlyle at The Villages of Palm Aire
Cascades at Sarasota
Central Park at Lakewood
Colonial Oaks
Concession
Country Club of Sarasota
Country Oaks
Creekwood
Edenmore Lakewood Ranch
El Conquistador Village
Founders Club
Garden Lakes Village
Gator Creek Estates
Gillespie Park
Glenn Lakes
Greyhawk Landing
Grosvenor Gardens
Harbour Walk
Heritage Harbour
Heritage Oaks Golf & CC
Hidden Oaks
Inlets
Isles of Sarasota
Lake Estates
Lakewood Ranch CC
Landings
Lands End
Laurel Lakes
Laurel Oak
Longboat Key
Meadows
Melrose Gardens
Misty Creek
Oakbrooke
Panther Ridge
Perico Isles
Peridia
River Club
Riverdale
River Strand
Rosedale
Sabal Harbour
Sanctuary
Sanderling Club
Savannah at Turtle Rock
Serenoa
Siesta Properties
Smiths E A Resub
Sonoma
Stoneybrook at Heritage Harbour
Tara
The Inlets
Tidewater Preserve
Trails
Turtle Rock
Village at Beekman
Village of Lakeside South
VillageWalk
Waterlefe Golf & River club
Wood Ridge at Meadows

Old 11-02-2011, 07:03 PM

440 posts, read 1,053,045 times
Default The Meadows scoop

I'm the local Meadows cheer-leader here. We bought in The Meadows after researching various tennis programs. We looked at Village Walk, The Isles at Palmer Ranch, Longwood Run,The Landings,Palm Aire(couldn't afford University Park at that time, Lakewood Ranch was too far away).Some communities had no pro and/or no organized programs. Some of the communities obviously valued their golf members more judging by their newsletters. The Meadows tennis program is part of the Meadows Country Club. It struck the right balance for us. My husband is a serious player and wanted to be able to get in a game in spite of the fact that we could only get down to Sarasota for short periods and eventually snow bird. The Meadows has 17 har-tru courts, some lighted.There are 3 pros, a pro shop.Lessons are very reasonable. The physical layout is beautiful with lush landscaping and a shaded bleacher area to view tournaments. Snack bar and pool are steps away.There are many programs: tournaments, round robins, womens and mens (and I think childrens') programs geared to various ages (it's not a 55 and over community). There are over 200 tennis members. The pros were able to hook my husband up to an active group of 30 who play at least 3 times a week through out the year. My husband is looking forward to snowbirding and getting more involved.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies! It sounds like there are a lot of nice facilities in the area. Har-Tru courts are definitely a plus. It would be fun to live in a community with tennis right there and also explore some of the other tennis courts and clubs.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
A lot of communities have 1 or 2 tennis courts so you'll see tennis listed on the amenities. Some of them are sadly lacking in regular maintenance.

Some residential communities have lighted, Har-Tru courts but lack the tennis programs that it sounds like you're looking for. You have to sift through the information and ask questions to see if the communities live up to your expectations from a tennis perspective.

Unfortunately, not all communities with tennis are created alike.

I have heard a lot of good things about The Meadows program, as well as the Palm Aire Country Club and Lakewood Ranch's tennis program.

As to the county parks on a list given here, some have just a couple of courts that are mainly used by people wanting to bat a tennis ball around, they are not maintained to the standards expected by better tennis players. I've even seen children riding bicycles or skateboarding on tennis courts at some of the county parks. Other parks have 4 or more courts and appear to be well maintained and used by tennis players on a regular basis. Still, the Sarasota area has a lot of options for tennis players.

By the way, Bradenton is also home of a world famous tennis academy, the IMG Bollettieri Tennis Academy.

Last edited by Sunshine Rules; 11-02-2011 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 06:32 AM

Thanks. I know what you mean about many communities having one or two courts that are rarely used. It's a convenience having it right there only if you already have a partner to play with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area