Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 09:05 PM

31 posts, read 65,389 times

Advertisements

We're thinking to move to Sarasota from out West. How gay friendly is the area? I'm specifically looking for a good public elementary school that is gay affirmative for my son since he has two mums. Any other pros or cons? Conservative or liberal?

I had lived in Southern Florida for 5 years as a kid, so I have a vague idea of the Floridian culture, etc. But hoping to get some more insight from you all, thanks!

Last edited by intrinsiknergy; 05-25-2017 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 07:33 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I have lived in Sarasota a long time now. It is pretty much live-and-let-live here. Sarasota does have Harvey Milk Festivals and Pride Fest so that should tell you something. Sarasota also has a lot of excellent schools compared to most of the state. Sorry I can't recommend a specific school because I don't have kids, but I am sure someone else could make a recommendation.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:08 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times
My son goes to Pine View school for the gifted and children are openly gay there with no problem - they even have their own lunch benches where they hang out - not sure about other schools -

There is still some of that "Florida culture" around here but I don't think it is that bad

Old 05-26-2017, 11:48 AM

10 posts, read 15,203 times
I'm not sure what "homosexual FRIENDLY" connotes or really suggests. I'm not sure if that suggests that being homosexual "friendly" connotes that neighbors are obliged to accept AND endorse someone's aberrant sexual behavior. I would like to think that most residents of SRQ/Mana don't really care about getting into your sexual proclivities and habits. And of course, no one has to embrace or even like you as a person, or as a homosexual person either. No one has to accept you or anyone else. People tend to avoid what they don't want to fool with...it's called freedom of association I guess. I wouldn't *expect* residents of this area to embrace you...they will probably just leave you be.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:25 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60SeaRay View Post
I'm not sure what "homosexual FRIENDLY" connotes or really suggests. I'm not sure if that suggests that being homosexual "friendly" connotes that neighbors are obliged to accept AND endorse someone's aberrant sexual behavior. I would like to think that most residents of SRQ/Mana don't really care about getting into your sexual proclivities and habits. And of course, no one has to embrace or even like you as a person, or as a homosexual person either. No one has to accept you or anyone else. People tend to avoid what they don't want to fool with...it's called freedom of association I guess. I wouldn't *expect* residents of this area to embrace you...they will probably just leave you be.
techie_g
Not a member

What the heck constitutes being 'friendly' to homosexual activity??? I don't think anyone cares that much what kind of sex you engage in within your own house. I don't put my heterosexuality (I'm old-fashioned, I like WOMEN) in any neighbor's face. You shouldn't put your homosexuality in anyone's face either. It's inappropriate and quite unnecessary it seems to me. Not everyone however should be expected to endorse or embrace anyone else's sexual proclivities or what they might consider aberrant behavior. Again, not a lot of people or your neighbors care that much at all, and it's a non-issue 90% of the time unless YOU make it one, or YOU have an unrealistic and unfair 'demand' that other people and neighbors must *think* or conduct themselves in a manner that is only conducive to your own sense of values, and family. That would be quite an erroneous belief. Diversity doesn't mean that others must accept foundational values that may conflict with their own ethos, morality, religion or values.

Seems like you're repeating yourself Shekie.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:59 PM

31 posts, read 65,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
techie_g
Not a member

What the heck constitutes being 'friendly' to homosexual activity??? I don't think anyone cares that much what kind of sex you engage in within your own house. I don't put my heterosexuality (I'm old-fashioned, I like WOMEN) in any neighbor's face. You shouldn't put your homosexuality in anyone's face either. It's inappropriate and quite unnecessary it seems to me. Not everyone however should be expected to endorse or embrace anyone else's sexual proclivities or what they might consider aberrant behavior. Again, not a lot of people or your neighbors care that much at all, and it's a non-issue 90% of the time unless YOU make it one, or YOU have an unrealistic and unfair 'demand' that other people and neighbors must *think* or conduct themselves in a manner that is only conducive to your own sense of values, and family. That would be quite an erroneous belief. Diversity doesn't mean that others must accept foundational values that may conflict with their own ethos, morality, religion or values.

Seems like you're repeating yourself Shekie.
I think you all have answered my question.
Good luck with that, Sarasota.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:42 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsiknergy View Post
I think you all have answered my question.
Good luck with that, Sarasota.
Don't let one cranky old **** keep you from chasing your dreams. He's only a small man and isn't indicative of the area's population

Old 05-27-2017, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 11,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsiknergy View Post
We're thinking to move to Sarasota from out West. How gay friendly is the area? I'm specifically looking for a good public elementary school that is gay affirmative for my son since he has two mums. Any other pros or cons? Conservative or liberal?

I had lived in Southern Florida for 5 years as a kid, so I have a vague idea of the Floridian culture, etc. But hoping to get some more insight from you all, thanks!

Sarasota county or The City of Sarasota? Manatee County or The City of Bradenton ? These areas might differ wildly in what they think about homosexual couples and lifestyles. Parts of both counties are quite supportive of normal traditional families and relationships. This is not San Francisco or Seattle.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:57 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,937,310 times
Most people do not care. And I mean that. They won't treat you any better or any worse. They will leave you be.

That being said, if you are looking for an area where people respond, Oh my god, you're gay? THAT'S FANTASTIC!!! I need to be friends with you because I have so many other gay friends!! this is probably not the place for you, as the whole celebrate it every day all day long vibe really isn't here.

Because most people will treat you just like they treat everybody else.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:13 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Most people do not care. And I mean that. They won't treat you any better or any worse. They will leave you be.

That being said, if you are looking for an area where people respond, Oh my god, you're gay? THAT'S FANTASTIC!!! I need to be friends with you because I have so many other gay friends!! this is probably not the place for you, as the whole celebrate it every day all day long vibe really isn't here.

Because most people will treat you just like they treat everybody else.
Exactly. That's what I was saying before about this being a "live-and-let-live" type of place. I guess it is hard to interpret what one is really asking when they say "gay-friendly."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area