Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:13 AM

192 posts, read 470,790 times

Advertisements

In my home searching, I have been looking in the Southgate area, but when I am drawn to certain home types ( older with mature vegetation) they are in the Whitfield area. I have been told to stay South of Fruitville Rd for less crime, but is there really that much of a difference between the two? How do the demographics compare?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 10:22 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krh6609 View Post
In my home searching, I have been looking in the Southgate area, but when I am drawn to certain home types ( older with mature vegetation) they are in the Whitfield area. I have been told to stay South of Fruitville Rd for less crime, but is there really that much of a difference between the two? How do the demographics compare?
Thanks!
We live in Whitfield and LOVE it! There is no comparison, really. Not that Southgate is bad, that was actually where I was originally looking. But I love it up here much more. People that say to stay south of Fruitville because of crime or safety don't know what they are talking about. The ghetto is Newtown, and there are a LOT of beautiful neighborhoods on the north side of town. Whitfield is well north of University Parkway in Manatee County, nowhere near a ghetto. We live on the Bayside, which is the most historic. Lots are large, streets broad and curving, lots of open "park land" owned by the airport, and very eclectic architecture from every decade going back to the 1920's. This is a historic neighborhood, some of the Ringling family once lived here.

Southgate is mostly smaller mid-century Florida homes. Some parts of it are nice, some not so nice. There are a lot more rentals in Southgate, so demographics are always changing there. I think it's really all in what you want. I much prefer where we are, it's such a convenient drive to anything we need, and my hubby commutes to Tampa, so that's a factor as well.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:01 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
Here are descriptions of both areas.

South Gate
South Gate is situated in one of the older sections of Sarasota. Dating back to the 1960s, this established neighborhood is an ideal choice if you are looking for a community in which to settle down and love the retro look and feel. Many of the homes here are one-story, which makes them ideal if you would prefer to not have to worry about navigating stairs each and every day. Do not let the fact that this is an older neighborhood fool you; this community is extremely well maintained. In fact, it is rapidly becoming popular with families that are wealthy and who are looking for a settled neighborhood where they can purchase homes they can renovate to suit their own tastes.

One of the best benefits of South Gate it is that is provides extremely close proximity to the downtown area of Sarasota. This charming district is replete with excellent shopping and dining facilities. Whether you are looking for a casual café for brunch or something more upscale for an evening dinner, there is always something to suit your taste in the local area.

Recreational activities are numerous in the surrounding area as well. The beaches of Sarasota are well known for their fine white powder. South Gate places you within just minutes of the best beaches in Florida, including gorgeous Siesta Key Beach, where you can soak up the sun. Not only will you be within a short distance of the beaches, but the waterways are conveniently nearby as well. You can be out on the water and enjoying fishing or boating in practically no time. Combined with the many championship golf courses scattered throughout the local area and it is easy to see why so many families have become interested in South Gate.

Whitfield Estates
Whitfield Estates was originally established during the 1920s. Today, this lovely community has the distinction of being one of the first golfing communities in the Sarasota area. Constructed along the fairways of the Sarabay Country Club, Whitfield Estates offers an upscale residential golf course choice to buyers who enjoy the game and want to be close to nearby amenities. Situated within just a short distance of Whitfield Estates is New College, the John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Ringling School of Art and Design, the University of South Florida, the airport and Asolo Theater.

Buyers will discover there to be a wide range of different architectural and housing choices available in Whitfield Estates, including Florida Ranch style homes and Spanish and Mediterranean design homes. There are also many different size options available, ensuring that everyone from the active retiree to the young professional and the growing family will be able to find something that will appeal to them in Whitfield Estates.

In the nearby area, residents are able to enjoy a wide selection of amenities. Excellent shopping facilities and numerous fine dine options are available within just a short distance of this lovely community. While one of the main attractions of living in Whitfield Estates is certainly the close proximity to the golf course, there are numerous other recreational and entertainment options available not far away. Boating and fishing are popular and some of the best beaches in the world are located only minutes from Whitfield Estates. If you happen to enjoy arts and culture you can easily take advantage of the numerous offerings available in the downtown Sarasota district. Opera, symphony, the theater, art galleries, museums, live entertainment, fine dining and much more can be enjoyed within just a short drive of your new home.

Last edited by TamRE; 12-26-2011 at 11:10 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 11:24 AM

4,613 posts, read 7,531,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We live in Whitfield and LOVE it! There is no comparison, really. Not that Southgate is bad, that was actually where I was originally looking. But I love it up here much more. People that say to stay south of Fruitville because of crime or safety don't know what they are talking about. The ghetto is Newtown, and there are a LOT of beautiful neighborhoods on the north side of town. Whitfield is well north of University Parkway in Manatee County, nowhere near a ghetto. We live on the Bayside, which is the most historic. Lots are large, streets broad and curving, lots of open "park land" owned by the airport, and very eclectic architecture from every decade going back to the 1920's. This is a historic neighborhood, some of the Ringling family once lived here.

Southgate is mostly smaller mid-century Florida homes. Some parts of it are nice, some not so nice. There are a lot more rentals in Southgate, so demographics are always changing there. I think it's really all in what you want. I much prefer where we are, it's such a convenient drive to anything we need, and my hubby commutes to Tampa, so that's a factor as well.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Great post, Gypsychic. There are a lot of great neighborhoods north of Fruitville that people will miss if they draw a line on the map and refuse to look north of it.

I too like the Whitfield area, we have both longtime friends and family members that live there. The Whitfield area west of US41 is especially nice. The streets near the golf course are also very nice, with many newer construction homes mixed in with 50's and 60's homes. I would recommend staying west of 9th St. East.

Southgate has many similar style 50's and 60's homes as Whitfield. Because the neighborhood is close to Siesta Key and shopping, home prices will be higher for homes comparable to Whitfield. Many of the homes in the Southgate area have been converted to the public sewer, but not all. When looking at homes in Southgate, be sure to ask if it's on central sewer or septic as the county is requiring those on septic to hook up to the sewer system within a specified timeline. Information on the the procedure, the timelines and especially the costs can be found on the county site at: PCS: HOME

If you like the home styles in Whitfield and Southgate, some other neighborhoods worth exploring are the older section of Palm Aire (just north of University Parkway and east of Lockwood Ridge Road), the older section of Bent Tree (east of I75 off of Bee Ridge) and some little neighborhoods just south of Clark Road off of Lockwood Ridge road. Forest Lakes, just east of Southgate, is another area where you can find similar style homes, mainly the section west of Beneva and north of Webber. The Meadows (off of 17th St, east of Lockwood Ridge Rd) offers some similar style homes in the SW section, but prices will be higher than either Whitfield or Southgate.

Don't be afraid to look "outside of the box."

Old 12-26-2011, 12:41 PM

That's helpful. Would you say that the age of the residents is similar?

Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
That's helpful. Would you say that the age of the residents is similar?
I don't know about Southgate, but in my neighborhood (Whitfield) there is everything from singles to families to retirees. And in all economic classes, too. This neighborhood has a little bit of everything. I am speaking of the bay side where I live. Whitfield is a pretty large community.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:51 PM

157 posts, read 389,257 times
One of the reasons why southgate is popular is that the elementary school is one of the best in Sarasota, southside elementary.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:04 PM

I hear quite a bit about Bradenton crime and other issues. Does this element trickle down into N. Sarasota much more than South, or is it mainly within the bad Bradenton areas. I guess my main objective is to be in a modest, " cute" home community without having to sacrifice being in a stabil neighborhood. E.g. There are lots of cool old houses in Newtown, but, well, you know.....

Old 12-26-2011, 03:09 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
My ex in laws have lived in the Sapphire Shores neighborhood (right by Whitfield) for around 50 years now and they don't seem to have any issues with crime. I walk the dogs with my MIL in the evenings on occasion and I see all ages out and about from young couples strolling babies to elderly couples out walking. They love it there and their home is very quaint home built in the early 1940's.

My oldest goes to New College, which abuts the airport and I know some of her friends live in the Sapphire Shores and Whitfield areas.

I would say the mix of ages in both neighborhoods is similar.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I hear quite a bit about Bradenton crime and other issues. Does this element trickle down into N. Sarasota much more than South, or is it mainly within the bad Bradenton areas. I guess my main objective is to be in a modest, " cute" home community without having to sacrifice being in a stabil neighborhood. E.g. There are lots of cool old houses in Newtown, but, well, you know.....
Whitfield does not have much crime at all. Crime in Bradenton is pretty much contained in the bad areas. Whatever crime exists is probably equal between the two neighborhoods. They have a completely different feel, so it boils down to what you prefer and what you want to be close to. We are 5 min from either downtown Sarasota or downtown Bradenton, 10 minutes to Lido Beach, 20-25 minutes to Bradenton Beaches, and right by the airport. For shopping I go down the University Parkway corridor, this is by far (to me) the best district for grocery and staple type shopping. EVERYTHING is here.

Like I said, we checked out both neighborhoods and decided this was where we wanted to live. I don't know if I would call it a "cute home" community - there are homes of all sizes, and a lot of mature landscaping. Plus, right by the bay. For what we wanted, this place fills the bill. But that's us. I'm sure you have your own priorities and should really investigate both neighborhoods, either one is a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area