Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of the ban?
Yes 20 35.71%
No 36 64.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:27 PM

8,266 posts, read 4,666,091 times

Advertisements

Not Good. No wonder alcohol on the beaches are banned most everywhere else in Florida.

Brawl on Siesta Beach fuels debate on alcohol ban | HeraldTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:34 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Someone at a concert here brought in their blanket, as we all do. The group started throwing each other up and down as if the blanket was a parachute. One kid broke his neck and dies.
So now...we are all stupid, and blankets are banned at this concert venue.
Let's not make these "blanket" rules for everyone. I can handle my blanket, and my alcohol, just fine.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Someone at a concert here brought in their blanket, as we all do. The group started throwing each other up and down as if the blanket was a parachute. One kid broke his neck and dies.
So now...we are all stupid, and blankets are banned at this concert venue.
Let's not make these "blanket" rules for everyone. I can handle my blanket, and my alcohol, just fine.
I understand your point - and in a sense I agree. I don't see why Sarasota/the police have to make this an all or none issue. Are they just to lazy to come up with practical solutions?

I think police should have the legal authority to detain people that are obnoxiously drunk on the beach. But no need to "harass" responsible citizens about enjoying a glass of wine on the beach. And no need to go searching coolers for alcohol (provided people are behaving and not "obviously drunk").

I would like the idea of having more sobriety checkpoints by law enforcement on the Siesta Key roads. I think this would improve safety for all - and if there was unannounced random DUI road checkpoints on the key - this would translate to people being more responsible about their drinking on the beach.

Leave it to the commissioners and police to proclaim it's either "All or None". Why?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I understand your point - and in a sense I agree. I don't see why Sarasota/the police have to make this an all or none issue. Are they just to lazy to come up with practical solutions?

I think police should have the legal authority to detain people that are obnoxiously drunk on the beach. But no need to "harass" responsible citizens about enjoying a glass of wine on the beach. And no need to go searching coolers for alcohol (provided people are behaving and not "obviously drunk").

I would like the idea of having more sobriety checkpoints by law enforcement on the Siesta Key roads. I think this would improve safety for all - and if there was unannounced random DUI road checkpoints on the key - this would translate to people being more responsible about their drinking on the beach.

Leave it to the commissioners and police to proclaim it's either "All or None". Why?

I think the issue/problem has to do with personal accountability or the overall lack thereof most people live by. Because the majority cannot be self-controlled, we all end up suffering and falling under these rules. One bad apple, I guess...

Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I think the issue/problem has to do with personal accountability or the overall lack thereof most people live by. Because the majority cannot be self-controlled, we all end up suffering and falling under these rules. One bad apple, I guess...
Yes so the question is - Can law enforcement & the commissioners come up with some kind of "middle ground" - that won't punish responsible citizens but that will address the issue to make Siesta Key a better safe place.

So my point was - why can't there be some "common sense" rules, procedures, laws that would tend to control irresponsible troublemakers - while not infringing on the rights of others?

I read that law enforcement had said that if any kind of ban on alcohol is instituted - that it can only be enforced by an "all or none" policy. There won't be any "middle ground" on this issue. Once again people in charge don't have common sense? Or is it just laziness on the part of enforcement?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Yes so the question is - Can law enforcement & the commissioners come up with some kind of "middle ground" - that won't punish responsible citizens but that will address the issue to make Siesta Key a better safe place.

So my point was - why can't there be some "common sense" rules, procedures, laws that would tend to control irresponsible troublemakers - while not infringing on the rights of others?

I read that law enforcement had said that if any kind of ban on alcohol is instituted - that it can only be enforced by an "all or none" policy. There won't be any "middle ground" on this issue. Once again people in charge don't have common sense? Or is it just laziness on the part of enforcement?
I truly believe it is both! Very few folks, in charge or otherwise, posses common sense. And it is easy to make a rule to cover everyone verses allowing for circumstances. It gets pretty muddy there, too many moving parts.
Our rights are violated more and more every year. The dumber our society keeps becoming, the more of this we can expect.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:01 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,652 times
I don't think there are simple solutions. Booze is banned on beaches everywhere...there must be a reason.

Smokers didn't like the smoking bans in restaurants, beaches and stores. Non-smokers were thrilled and the healthier for it.

Siesta is a public beach. If you want a drink, walk into town and get one. Keep it off the beach.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
I don't think there are simple solutions. Booze is banned on beaches everywhere...there must be a reason.

Smokers didn't like the smoking bans in restaurants, beaches and stores. Non-smokers were thrilled and the healthier for it.

Siesta is a public beach. If you want a drink, walk into town and get one. Keep it off the beach.
No, there is no reason, or people claimed there was a reason due to a couple of incidents. The US, for the most part, still has a powerful bloc that is anti-alcohol, anti this, anti that. Drinking in public is generally banned everywhere, not just beaches.

If it was a human trait issue, then many more places would have problems and bans, but they do not, so it seems to be a specific issue with the US culture (not saying the US is alone in this), the need to drive when drunk and/or become violent, along with over drinking instead of having one or two beers, or a glass of wine. Maybe we should try addressing that instead of making blanket bans everywhere for everything.

Blanket bans are used for lazy enforcement, that is why many blanket bans are in place, the gov does not want to take the trouble to actually use some qualitative analysis to determine if someone is breaking the law, but the gov employees like to get paid as if they are more than a data entry robot.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I was on Crescent Beach Thursday and a group of twenty someithing guys dug a massive pool sized hole in the sand, barricaded chairs all around it, and started playing flip cup.

Someone called the police, Sarasota Sheriffs Department came out, seized the alcohol (they evidently had underage drinkers, we saw them being carded), police made them fill in the hole, and split up the party.

Peaceful afternoon.

Great example of how the police do enforce the rules already in place to make the beach a more pleasant place for all of us.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM

Well for those of you that were opposed to an alcohol ban on Siesta Key Beach - it looks like you won:

Alcohol ban looks unlikely | HeraldTribune.com

IMO the sad part about this were the comments made by Sheriff's Department. They essentially said they plan on doing NOTHING to make the beach/roads safer - citing the fourth amendment blah, blah, blah.

From the article:

"SARASOTA COUNTY - Instead of weighing the pros and cons of a ban on alcohol on county beaches, a discussion Thursday morphed into a debate over the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights on Thursday.

County Sheriff's Office officials told commissioners that measures to control drunk driving on the beach, like snatching car keys or searching coolers, would violate the Fourth Amendment, which protects against unreasonable search and seizure."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area