Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 PM

103 posts, read 294,875 times

Advertisements

....and can you plant a vegetable garden in a gated community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 04:02 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
You probably can't plant an actual garded in your yard in a gated community, but I have seen people that do vegetabes in pots or planters and put them in their yard or lanai.

My next door neighbor has a vegetable garden and grows all kinds of herbs, zucchini, hot peppers, tomates, and lettuce. But we don't live in a gated community.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:42 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,590 times
Well, I tried the vegetable garden a few years ago. At first everything was ok....then...the bugs moved in...all kinds of them...I tried everything, lost it all. My neighbors plants her vegetable garden in 5 gallon buckets and always seems to have a bumper crop, might be the answer.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:58 PM

547 posts, read 926,396 times
Earth Boxes.You can get them and hands on instruction in Ellenton.
Contact the Earthbox Research Center | Ellenton FL

Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,165 times
We had really bad luck with ours, and never did it a second season. Between the bugs, extremely poor sandy soil, and the squirrels we didn't get much out of it.

My dad's had gardens for years in FL, and generally had mixed results. He built raised beds and used buckets. The beds got better after a number of years of adding other soils to it, but never great. The buckets fared much better.

Last year he went to some outdoor hydroponic containers of some sort, and has had an incredible garden this year.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
When my dad was alive he could grow almost ANYTHING. I never saw anyone with such a green thumb. He really tended to it, though. If you live where your "soil" is nothing but sand, you will have to do it in containers or raised beds. My yard is nothing but sand. You will be able to grow wonderful citrus trees and bananas.

If your soils is already halfway decent and you give it a lot of organic amendments you may have luck like my dad.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,836 times
The first thing to learn is that the best growing season in Florida is November through April. If you try and grow vegetables in the summer you will be very unhappy.

Using containers filled with potting "mix" not "soil" is the best way for a beginner to get started, if the bag is heavy when you lift it that's the wrong type, should be lighter. Earth boxes are good too but more expensive.

Since it's getting late in the year for vegetables why not start with flowers and herbs like basil and parsley? Geraniums would be good right now. Petunias too. If you bought a fairly large tomato plant you could get a few ripe before the heat sets in. Cherry size tomatoes can be very rewarding, you get a lot of bang for your pot size. The bigger tomatoes take a long time to grow to size and ripen.The best time to start tomatoes is in the fall for a long growing season.

Good luck. Florida is a great place to garden. My garden is all-organic and right now has cabbage, collards and green beans plus many roses, other flowers, butterfly plants and herbs.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:17 AM

287 posts, read 589,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingWarmth211 View Post
....and can you plant a vegetable garden in a gated community?
To answer YOUR question:

There are community gardens for some gated communities that don't allow full blown gardens.

Example: There are many gated communities in Palmer Ranch. 5 gallon buckets in your lanai for a few plants will suffice for some gardeners.

But for real die-hard gardeners the newest and most advanced community garden is being built in Palmer Ranch -walking distance for many PR communities. If not, the Legacy trail in Palmer Ranch enables one to bike to this community garden.

Here's the link:
Culverhouse Community Garden Update - Transition Sarasota (http://transitionsarasota.org/profiles/blogs/culverhouse-community-garden - broken link)

Old 03-17-2012, 03:51 PM

70 posts, read 216,909 times
Welcome to Floridata is a good resource for Florida gardening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area