Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 11:09 AM

285 posts, read 229,625 times

Advertisements

yeah, even family I never heard of ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 06:44 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,385,751 times
We never stay with friends or family any more. We always get a hotel room. It's more expensive, for sure, but gives us more freedom and privacy, especially if we are in a city with multiple friends or various family members. We can go where we want, when we want.

We had lots of family and friends visit when we lived in FL. It was fun then because we missed them, being so far away. Now I'm like, enough already!

Old 07-30-2020, 11:23 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,417,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We never stay with friends or family any more. We always get a hotel room. It's more expensive, for sure, but gives us more freedom and privacy, especially if we are in a city with multiple friends or various family members. We can go where we want, when we want.

We had lots of family and friends visit when we lived in FL. It was fun then because we missed them, being so far away. Now I'm like, enough already!
I haven't done that yet but am considering it, especially next time I visit a certain friend and her husband in a certain city. They have a spacious 3-BR 2.5-BA home, but hubby doesn't sleep in the master with his wife -- supposedly due to his snoring. Uses one of the other rooms as his bedroom and uses the hall bath as his bath. So, when I'm visiting, you'd think maybe he'd sleep with the wife and let me have the bathroom? No, he moves to the third bedroom and still takes his shower in the hall bath. His clothes are all jammed in the closet in "my" room, there's barely any room for me to hang anything up, and every day he has to come in and get clothes. And I also have to share that bathroom with him. He's a complete OCD neat freak so I can't leave anything on the bathroom counter. And I have a LOT of makeup and hair stuff, not to mention toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. Nope, all has to be put away in a drawer. She didn't say that to me directly, but after the first time I visited and had my stuff all over the bathroom I shared with him, she let me know next time that there was a drawer I could use. Mind you, I'm only there a few days, not like it's a week or more.

I don't know about you, but I would never treat my guests this way.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I haven't done that yet but am considering it, especially next time I visit a certain friend and her husband in a certain city. They have a spacious 3-BR 2.5-BA home, but hubby doesn't sleep in the master with his wife -- supposedly due to his snoring. Uses one of the other rooms as his bedroom and uses the hall bath as his bath. So, when I'm visiting, you'd think maybe he'd sleep with the wife and let me have the bathroom? No, he moves to the third bedroom and still takes his shower in the hall bath. His clothes are all jammed in the closet in "my" room, there's barely any room for me to hang anything up, and every day he has to come in and get clothes. And I also have to share that bathroom with him. He's a complete OCD neat freak so I can't leave anything on the bathroom counter. And I have a LOT of makeup and hair stuff, not to mention toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. Nope, all has to be put away in a drawer. She didn't say that to me directly, but after the first time I visited and had my stuff all over the bathroom I shared with him, she let me know next time that there was a drawer I could use. Mind you, I'm only there a few days, not like it's a week or more.

I don't know about you, but I would never treat my guests this way.
I have to somewhat disagree with you. If you are a guest, you should be polite and follow the family’s rules. How big a deal is to put your stuff away? After all, you are staying free!

Old 07-31-2020, 11:21 AM

285 posts, read 229,625 times
Quote:
I have to somewhat disagree with you. If you are a guest, you should be polite and follow the family’s rules. How big a deal is to put your stuff away? After all, you are staying free!

Bingo

Old 07-31-2020, 11:25 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,148,779 times
Quote:
This is why guests cause so many issues. If you are staying for FREE you follow the rules of the house. If it annoys you then go pay for a hotel.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:39 PM

60 posts, read 62,919 times
No, not at all. I think this really depends on mindset and personality. In my family, everyone lives within a few miles of where we all grew up in NJ. They rarely travel outside the state. I have offered my family members my place in Sarasota and my place in Tokyo. Can you imagine - for a $3000 roundtrip airfare cost you could go and stay in Tokyo for 2 weeks, in a house 5 minutes from two trains in Tokyo, no expenses.

No takers. For years.

When I am not in Sarasota, I offer for my place. No takers. My one college-era roommate is the only person that has ever visited us in Sarasota. No coincidence, he also stayed with us in Tokyo. He's a traveler and a veteran that has been to many countries and enjoys it.

So I think it just comes down to personality.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:13 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,417,189 times
Quote:
It annoys me more that I have to share the bathroom with a man who has a perfectly good master bathroom he could use while a GUEST is in the house. It's very awkward and uncomfortable, especially since he's so O.C.D. I would never expect guests to put all their stuff away while they're staying with me, just like in a hotel bathroom.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:25 AM

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
It annoys me more that I have to share the bathroom with a man who has a perfectly good master bathroom he could use while a GUEST is in the house. It's very awkward and uncomfortable, especially since he's so O.C.D. I would never expect guests to put all their stuff away while they're staying with me, just like in a hotel bathroom.
Is this a joke or are you really that clueless and classless?

The husband keeps his stuff in that bathroom. Maybe his wife likes it that he uses a separate bathroom from her. Why should he and possibly, she, have to be inconvenienced so that you don’t have to pick up after yourself. Wow!! I’m truly shocked that they invite you back to visit, given your attitude.

It’s not OCD to not want to be disgusted by a guest’s personal care products—brushes filled with hair, used toothbrush, etc.

Are you poor? Can’t Afford a hotel?

Last edited by staywarm2; 08-01-2020 at 07:34 AM..

Old 08-01-2020, 10:40 AM

1,107 posts, read 554,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
My biggest thing is that WE are not on vacation, still have a household to run, chores to do, shopping and things. The guests tend to think we are here only to entertain them at times. It's different when you LIVE here. I've already decided that there will be no waiting on people hand and foot. If you are going to stay here, help yourself!!!
A friend of mine loved having people over and was very hospitable. However, her rule for everyone was that the first day you visit, you are a guest in her home and you don't need to do anything except kick back and relax. But if you're welcomed back after that, you are considered family and are expected to do for yourself, including cleaning up after yourself. It worked like a charm and she never lacked for company or friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area