Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 PM

53 posts, read 143,043 times

Advertisements

We purchased an older home. Our electric bills are very high due to the poor insulation. Our roof is 3/12 pitch and is currently shingle (with insufficient ventilation due to short aluminum ridge vents and the soffits are angled plaster with only occasional vents.
Does anyone have open cell spray foam insulation on their roof deck? If so, how do you like it?
In regards to metal vs. shingle vs clay tile roofing - which is better in this area?

We have redone almost the whole house and want to do this last project correctly the first time.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,082,060 times
You didn't mention when the house was built, block or frame.
Spraying the underside of the roof may help but the ceiling should have 12" insulation for about R-38. If a frame with no insulation, you can have expanding foam blown in the walls between the studs. If a block, not much can be done besides blowing in foam in the 3/4" space between the drywall and the block. Not cost effective for payback for the small R value increase. As an extra cost option, 3/4" styrofoam panels can be installed when the house is being built. Also with the age of the house is the age of the A/C. If the A/C has not been replaced in the last 12 years, it's probably not a heat pump and probably only SEER 10. Code is now 13 with higher SEER available.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 AM

Sorry - our house is block with stucco. It is a 1960s sprawling ranch. Our AC is only a few years old, but the return duct work runs through the studs of the home, then up to ducts when it reaches the attic space. This creates a lot of suction (I can feel air flow through the outlet boxes when the covers are removed). The exterior walls are block and then finished inside with a very thin layer of old pink rolled insulation, two pieces of very thin material similar to the drywall available today (only thinner) and then very thick plaster.

Which type of attic insulation would be best and what type of venting would be best on a 3/12 roof? Any recommendations for sealing duct work or insulation contractors would be appreciated. I think we have chosen our roofer, but if you have one you recommend, I would appreciate a DM with that info.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2012, 03:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
metal roof is best for keeping the home cool. Here you usually see it unpainted galvalume (gray metal). When first installed it is a shiny silverish gray but within a few months the shine goes away and it isn't like a mirror on the roof. They last approx 50 years. Also they are very strong in hurricanes and fireproof as well. The metal is installed over standard wood roof decking.

The ligher the roof color , the better on keeping the home cool. White painted metal roofs are great too. But you don't see painted metal for the most part because the paint could wear off or scratch and then you have to maintain.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
When I need it I'm going with this. A friend has it and they did a great job.

Residential Metal Roofing, Roof Replacement and Steel Roofing (http://www.solarshieldroofing.com/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,292 times
I really like the look of the metal roofs. When I first saw them up North my reaction was ewww but they have grown on me and now I really like them.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
When I need it I'm going with this. A friend has it and they did a great job.

Residential Metal Roofing, Roof Replacement and Steel Roofing (http://www.solarshieldroofing.com/default.aspx - broken link)
They refused to come out if my husband wouldn't be here...I guess they don't want the business if they are unwilling to meet with the person who would be paying and making the decision on this project. I did some research online and there have been some complaints about them as well.

I received a quote from Absolute Metal Roofing. They seem very knowledgable. Still collecting quotes though from various places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area