Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM

45 posts, read 87,917 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I first want to say that I really hope that nobody takes offense to this post and I honestly do not want anyone to take it the wrong way.

My question is, why are the crime rates in the Bradenton-Sarasota area so much higher than the national average? (For example Sarasota's crime idex is 489 compared to the national average of 266 and Bradenton's crime index is 380 compared the the national average of 266.)

Once again I don't want anyone to take this this wrong way but I am asking just because I really want to know why. I currently live in Michigan and am very interested in moving to Florida in the near future. As I do research on different areas, it is really striking me how the crime statistics are higher in many areas in Florida than the national average. I understand that every place on earth has its problems (Remember I'm from Michigan...home to the most dangerous city in the country, Detroit) but I just don't understand it because from what I have heard about Sarasota and Bradenton for example has been mostly good things and they both look beautiful in pictures.

Could anyone give their thoughts or insight on this?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
I don't know the answer but I can guess. If you are looking at a national average, it must take into account vast areas of rural populations, too, where there is likely to be relatively little crime and that would, I expect, tend to skew the national numbers lower. Making the national numbers lower would then make areas with more dense populations relatively higher.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 PM

45 posts, read 87,917 times
Thanks for that answer. That makes sense about the population. I am in the Ann Arbor area of Michigan and I know we have a rather high population because of UofM and it being such a popular school. I was just curious because Ann Arbor's crime index rates are much lower so I was really trying to compare.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
If you look at the cities with the highest crime rates, they will be cities in popular tourist spots.

All crimes are included in these stats so when you have a year round population of 32,000 that gets an additional 200,000 people, the crime rate is divided by 32,000 instead of the 232,000 people actually in the city.

It is based on the number in the census. Those tourists were not around for the census.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:51 PM

192 posts, read 471,012 times
Your concerns are very valid and not taken as an insult. I too had great reservations about Sarasota before moving here because of the stats. I beleive it is because of the high tourism vs population. So far, I have lived here for 3 months, live in a modest/ lower end neighborhood and have seen nothing out of the ordinary. What I have heard about is mostly isolated and petty. Florida does seem to have a pretty serios problem with pill users, but those crimes seem to be petty theft. Overall, I feel safe and feel that the good FAR outweigh the bad.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Criminals take vacations too, and Florida appeals more than Michigan, for that.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:36 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,199,860 times
Not enough police. I hardly ever see a police officer anywhere.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:28 AM

279 posts, read 577,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Not enough police. I hardly ever see a police officer anywhere.
This is true!

Old 04-25-2012, 05:55 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
If you look at the cities with the highest crime rates, they will be cities in popular tourist spots.

All crimes are included in these stats so when you have a year round population of 32,000 that gets an additional 200,000 people, the crime rate is divided by 32,000 instead of the 232,000 people actually in the city.

It is based on the number in the census. Those tourists were not around for the census.

This is an excellent point. Tons of people come here for sun & fun. That often includes alcohol & "letting loose". Many of those end up in our county jail because of that stupidity. They eventually go home & we get a notch on our crime statistic peg board.

I remember a couple of weeks ago, some kid from Ohio stole an Ipad from a guy from NY.... just dumb stuff & then it ends up reflecting on Sarasota when none of our residents were even involved.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
All good points, and one more thing is that Florida tends to report all its crimes better than a lot of other areas.

On paper, the statistics for the area look bad, but in reality this is overall a beautiful safe place to live other than the true "ghetto" neighborhoods where the majority of the violent crimes occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area