Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM

279 posts, read 577,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
In NYC I used to wear my "subway face". I'm really enjoying how friendly and open folks are down here in Sarasota. I guess people can pick up your friendly or unfriendly vibe. It's are definite change of pace here
YEs, me too! I love not having my guard up all the time. I gotta say though, some days if I am in a hurry or something I revert back to Subway Face/Get Outta My Way Walk and maybe a visiting prospective resident counted me as a grumpy Sarasotan?

No one is perfect all the time. I find Sarasota/Osprey/Venice to be incredibly friendly and small town. Definite change of pace but I think it's going to add years to my life. Can't go around wound up all the time!

LAstly...with what my friends and family are going through in the NorthEast this week (Hurricane Sandy, for future context) I am definitely happy with our decision - although I wish I could be there to help them out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
In NYC I used to wear my "subway face". I'm really enjoying how friendly and open folks are down here in Sarasota. I guess people can pick up your friendly or unfriendly vibe. It's are definite change of pace here
I second (or third) this. Coming from the NY/NJ area I find the people around here incredibly friendly. It was almost unnerving at first...I was constantly thinking "what do they want" or wondering if they confused me with somebody they actually knew. But nope...people really are that nice. And I am becoming (long way to go) that way. I am taking the time to talk to strangers and to care what they are saying and to be kinder*.

*except for the idiot this morning that drove behind me for miles with his brights on because he perceived my merging onto the highway as cutting him off (I believe). He still gets the NJ single finger salute.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:58 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
Having grown up in the midwest, I can't imagine existing in a place where "subway face" is the norm. That's sad to me... I find Sarasota to be friendly enough. Not as friendly as where I grew up but that would be hard to find anywhere.

Pretty much in life, you get what you give. Extend a hand & a smile & most times, you'll get it right back. I do find that a lot (no, not all) of the nasty people I've experienced here are not regular locals but snowbirds/tourists... Our melting pot gets much bigger & diverse during season which everyone can relate too.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:10 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Having grown up in the midwest, I can't imagine existing in a place where "subway face" is the norm. That's sad to me... I find Sarasota to be friendly enough. Not as friendly as where I grew up but that would be hard to find anywhere.

Pretty much in life, you get what you give. Extend a hand & a smile & most times, you'll get it right back. I do find that a lot (no, not all) of the nasty people I've experienced here are not regular locals but snowbirds/tourists... Our melting pot gets much bigger & diverse during season which everyone can relate too.
I agree with Pixi. And also want to say that the neighborhood we live in (Whitfield Estates) is just about the friendliest place anyone could want. Couldn't ask for happier, friendlier neighbors here. I also agree with Pixi that the more unfriendly ones definitely are the snowbirds/tourists - I encounter it all the time during "season" at some of my regular shopping haunts. Not saying ALL snowbirds, etc., but it is most prevalent among them. Many come off as angry, hostile and impatient.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Not saying ALL snowbirds, etc., but it is most prevalent among them. Many come off as angry, hostile and impatient.
Yup- I'll go to my grave remembering the group of nasty women who used to walk in our road & scream at me & kids every morning as I drove them to school.. This went on for years- every snowbird season. Thankfully we've moved!

I've got my T-shirt ready for season this year...

Anyone else remember "What about Bob?"

Last edited by PixiStix; 10-31-2012 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
I also agree with Pixi that the more unfriendly ones definitely are the snowbirds/tourists - I encounter it all the time during "season" at some of my regular shopping haunts. Not saying ALL snowbirds, etc., but it is most prevalent among them. Many come off as angry, hostile and impatient.
When they first moved to FL my parents lived in a predominately snow bird development, and it was definitely a much grumpier place during season.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
I think it's pretty obvious that those who live here year-round are much more laid-back and friendly, which probably magnifies the less-friendly people who just come down from somewhere else.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:17 PM

192 posts, read 298,419 times
Quote:
I agree with Pixi. And also want to say that the neighborhood we live in (Whitfield Estates) is just about the friendliest place anyone could want. Couldn't ask for happier, friendlier neighbors here. I also agree with Pixi that the more unfriendly ones definitely are the snowbirds/tourists - I encounter it all the time during "season" at some of my regular shopping haunts. Not saying ALL snowbirds, etc., but it is most prevalent among them. Many come off as angry, hostile and impatient.
Yep most in my community are nasty, and unfriendly.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 7,346 times
Default Yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post

Great idea!!! We should all quit our boring jobs that make this country run, and span the globe looking for positions of personal fulfillment. Forget a good, lasting job, a steady paycheck with benefits, things our parents enjoyed and depended on in their lifetime. Besides, the federal government will always back you up if you fail. Soon, we'll all have universal health care so we can spend our days having fun and chasing our dreams. We won't have to worry about working to pay for silly insurance anymore like all the generations before us. Any wonder why the middle-class is almost dead?
Wow-- bitter much? It must suck to be such an angry person. Though you don't seem angry enough to do something about the situation, only angry enough to complain about it from the sidelines.

P.S. Maybe it has something to do with living in the past. Or watching too much Fox News. Or Both.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 AM

216 posts, read 564,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn1975 View Post
Wow-- bitter much? It must suck to be such an angry person. Though you don't seem angry enough to do something about the situation, only angry enough to complain about it from the sidelines.

P.S. Maybe it has something to do with living in the past. Or watching too much Fox News. Or Both.
Wow is right. You pulled that one from the quote archive. I'm not an angry person nor do I live in the past. I'm a middle-aged, middle-class family man with 2 kids. My wife and I, like most Americans, have to be at work at a certain time and get out at a certain time, bring our kids to daycare and school, and try to manage in this difficult world. We don't do it for fun, we do it because we have to. Our children need healthcare, a home, food, clothing, education, etc. The basis of that quote was a discussion with someone who works part time at a business and has "fun". I in return commented this country was not founded on "fun". It was founded by people who worked hard at their trade in factories, or spent countless hours building their business, struggling thru good times and bad for their families and their own future.

Why is it considered anger when I comment that maybe this person should turn their part time "fun" into a full time business they enjoy. How would you feel when the next time your car breaks down and all of the mechanics in the area said "sorry can't fix your car, I only do this part time for fun"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area