Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 06:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You are correct, they are adjacent to the Trail and may help Rosemary which I hope will come up. Sarasota destroyed its downtown when they made Fruitville (Third St.) a thorough fare years ago to get to the interstate. Downtown can't organically expand. Gillespie has the misfortune of being adjacent to Sarasota's only real ghetto, Newtown, and other than the shops that front Fruitville, will not be desirable real estate (for living) for many years if ever. Like I said before, even Laurel Park, for all it's current "trendiness" has a LOT of issues, and just be prepared for crime, noise and problems if anyone wants to live there.
You are right about Fruitville - they should build a bunch of those pedestrian bridges over it!

It would seem Rosemary and Cocoanut are as close or closer to higher crime areas to the north. GP is separated by the Park, Sewer Plant, Industrial Park and other things.

If you look at the actual crime stats - and look at the actual crimes, there is not an awful lot of stuff once you take away a couple fights, a couple drug busts (everywhere..), etc.

I spent 5 weeks straight in GP and didn't feel unsafe for even a minute. 95% of the reviews from people who stay there on AirBNB, Homeaway, etc...even for a month or more...are positive. None had actual problems.

Things are closer together so noise can always be a problem - we never had any in the 5 weeks we stayed. But that's true everywhere. If we buy a 1/4 acre lot further out and neighbors party hard or have barking dogs outside, it's just as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 07:14 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You are right about Fruitville - they should build a bunch of those pedestrian bridges over it!

It would seem Rosemary and Cocoanut are as close or closer to higher crime areas to the north. GP is separated by the Park, Sewer Plant, Industrial Park and other things.

If you look at the actual crime stats - and look at the actual crimes, there is not an awful lot of stuff once you take away a couple fights, a couple drug busts (everywhere..), etc.

I spent 5 weeks straight in GP and didn't feel unsafe for even a minute. 95% of the reviews from people who stay there on AirBNB, Homeaway, etc...even for a month or more...are positive. None had actual problems.

Things are closer together so noise can always be a problem - we never had any in the 5 weeks we stayed. But that's true everywhere. If we buy a 1/4 acre lot further out and neighbors party hard or have barking dogs outside, it's just as bad.
Like I said, it is all in what your tolerance levels are, and many times it is the luck of the draw (as to your neighbors etc.) I personally don't like ANY downtown living - the idea of it for me is far better than the reality. Too close together, too many renters, too many transients/homeless/bums, etc. etc.) Five weeks is not enough to give you a true picture of living there. I visited my girlfriend, staying with her off and on for a # of years in Laurel Park and thought it was OK, despite her telling me of breakins, peeping toms and the like. So, we moved there and I cried for 6 months straight. We were not in a position to sell that house (long story) and we ended up staying there for many years and it NEVER GOT BETTER. Crime and noise was off the charts. Police don' report every little thing, they PERSONALLY TOLD ME THIS. Anyway, if you insist on Gillespie, PLEASE do yourself a favor and rent there first. Good luck.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:41 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
But aren't those all adjacent to the trail? I would think that could help the Rosemary District. It seems far to me from Gillespie Park so I don't see how that makes Gillespie Park up and coming unless affordable housing is built for the work force at the hotels. I read in a HT article about how the 2,000 newly employed at the mall are having a really hard time finding affordable housing, so the same thing could happen with the hotel work force. But it seems like that could make it more of a rental area than an owner occupied area.

In spite of my doubts, I would love to see that area gentrify.
Are you saying that the 2,000 newly employed were shipped in from another city?! Did I miss something?

Old 11-15-2014, 02:20 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Are you saying that the 2,000 newly employed were shipped in from another city?! Did I miss something?
Probably not the whole 2000, but I know from personal experience that people are transferring in from other shows to open the stores at the mall. For our rental property we have gotten numerous inquiries from out of state employees of the stores at the mall. You can't open stories with all newbies. Even if it is only 1/4 experienced transfers, that means a need for 500 housing units.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:42 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Probably not the whole 2000, but I know from personal experience that people are transferring in from other shows to open the stores at the mall. For our rental property we have gotten numerous inquiries from out of state employees of the stores at the mall. You can't open stories with all newbies. Even if it is only 1/4 experienced transfers, that means a need for 500 housing units.
Gotcha ~ talked to some peeps in the know ~ a majority of the jobs went to non SRQ residents ~ that's nice ~ guess karma's a biotch when local hires are bypassed.

As far as housing, can't they put up a tent city ~ just kidding. There's plenty of apartments up & down the University corridor ~ not sure what kind of honey they used to lure the retail worker bees. Moral of the story ~ do you research before you accept a job transfer.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:23 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Gotcha ~ talked to some peeps in the know ~ a majority of the jobs went to non SRQ residents ~ that's nice ~ guess karma's a biotch when local hires are bypassed.

As far as housing, can't they put up a tent city ~ just kidding. There's plenty of apartments up & down the University corridor ~ not sure what kind of honey they used to lure the retail worker bees. Moral of the story ~ do you research before you accept a job transfer.
They tell them that Florida is warm and sunny all the time.

I drove through Gillespie Park on Saturday. I was impressed with how neat everyone's yards are. I can see the potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area