Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times

Advertisements

This Saturday evening is one of the biggest parades in SW FL, the annual DeSoto Grand Parade, held each year in Bradenton. This year the parade is going to have 150+ parade entries, marching bands, dancers, etc. The parade starts at 6:30 pm at the Manatee High school, the route is then west on 9th Ave, north on 39th St W, then east on Manatee Ave to downtown Bradenton. If you love a parade, this is one to see.

Also on Saturday, as part of the festivities, will be a 5k run that starts at 6:15 pm at the Manatee county school board administration building on Manatee Ave W, just west of US41 (1st St).

For those looking for other things to do this weekend in our area, at 8 pm tonight at the Van Wezel is a live performance of the Tribute to the Beatles. I've seen them perform before, they are really great and really do sound like the Beatles. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeal.

On Saturday is the big Keep Sarasota Beautiful event to clean up the area beaches and public parks. 8 am - 12 pm, for info call 861-5000.

Saturday & Sunday is the Air Fair 2013, which is radio controlled planes. 8 am - 3 pm at the Rothenback Park, on Bee Ridge about 3 miles east of I75. There will be food vendors there.

Also Saturday & Sunday the FL Scholastic Rowing Association Sweeps will be held at the Benderson Park off of University Parkway by I75.

On Saturday is the start of the Lakewood Ranch free outdoor movie nights, held at sundown at the Greenbrook Adventure Park. Bring your lawn chairs. BBQ sandwiches, popcorn and beverages will be for sale. This Saturday's movie is Chipwrecked, Alvin and the Chipmunks animated film.

One of my husband's favorite annual events is coming up May 4th - the Classic Corvettes on the Circle car show at St. Armands Circle, 10 am - 3 pm. If you love the vintage Corvettes, this is one show you don't want to miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 AM

78 posts, read 109,280 times
Hi Sunshine, I've been reading CD for quite a few months, and it's wonderful that you post all the events in the area. Thank you.
My wife and I are having a home built in Lakewood Ranch. We will be part time visitors for the next 2 years and then we will be moving down full time. Can't wait to enjoy all that goes on in the area. Particularly of interest to me is that you posted about the Corvette show you mention above. I am a car enthusiast, and Corvettes especially. I will be moving down with my toys (2 Vettes; 1 Mopar). Can you tell me a little about the local car culture, and if there is a lot going on. I know about the Wednesday cruise nights down on Main St. once a month. What else do you car folks enjoy down there? Thanks for any info.

Charlie

Old 04-27-2013, 10:05 AM

Hi Charlie,

You're going to love the access to car shows and clubs here in SW Florida. My husband loves cars and we try to attend as many of the shows as possible, from St. Pete down to Venice.

One of the largest car shows in Florida takes place each January in the Sarasota area, the Devereaux - Kaiser car show. My first year in FL we attended this show at a small field by the airport. As the event kept growing each year, they kept moving to a larger location. This past January the car show left Sarasota for the Venice airport field.

Another fantastic car show each fall is the Mirror Lake Classic car show in Lakeland, about 80 miles from Sarasota. This event takes over the streets of downtown Lakeland and along the lakefront. We always go for the day to that event as they have not only classic 60's cars, they have cars from the early 1900's all the way up to present as well, including some Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance vehicles.

Have you visited the classic car museum yet on US41 at University? The south side of the building has cars for sale, often some very beautiful and expensive cars, including Corvettes. We are good friends with the owner and stop in often to see what's on display.

There are a number of small car clubs throughout the area that have informal car meets once or twice a month in both Bradenton and Sarasota.

There's a Corvette club Home - gulfcoastcorvetteclub.com in the Sarasota area and I think there's also one in Venice.

By the way, what is your Mopar? We used to have a fully restored 66 Formula S Barracuda.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Thanks so much for all that info. Seems like we won't have any problem enjoying the cars down there. 12 months of cruising is certainly better then 5 . My mopar is a 1973 Roadrunner that I bought new in high school and still have today. An unrestored original. The Vettes are both coupes, 1967 & 2009. What do you guys cruise around in?

Charlie

Old 04-28-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadVettes View Post
Thanks so much for all that info. Seems like we won't have any problem enjoying the cars down there. 12 months of cruising is certainly better then 5 . My mopar is a 1973 Roadrunner that I bought new in high school and still have today. An unrestored original. The Vettes are both coupes, 1967 & 2009. What do you guys cruise around in?

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

We haven't had a show car since the Cuda, although my husband has come thisclose to buying a classic car now and then. I think he's holding out for another Cuda, but with a 4 speed, as our other was an automatic.

You'll have lots of fun with your cars here in FL as you can drive them 12 months of the year. Although I would not take a nice car out for the next week or two, the love bugs are out, and they can really mess up the paint on the front of your vehicle if you don't keep them washed off.

Look us up when you move down to Lakewood Ranch, I know my husband and I would love to see your unrestored Roadrunner.

Sunshine

Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM

Hi Sunshine,

Tell your husband to keep looking...Cuda's are great cars (lots of fun). My cars won't be coming down for about 2 years, but when they do I'll let you know and maybe we can meet up at some show or local cruise night.

Charlie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area