Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 PM

113 posts, read 223,553 times

Advertisements

There's a helicopter that's been circling Gulf Gate for the last 15 minutes or so. Seems a bit odd at 10:30 at night. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:09 AM

285 posts, read 639,140 times
Scroll down a little bit to my post a couple weeks ago where a helicopter circled over my neighborhood for 90 minutes just after midnight!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:45 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
To save you the trouble, Sarasota and Manatee county conduct searches using heat sensors, or something similar. They are trying to locate grow houses in an attempt to catch the bad guys. It happens often around Lockwood Ridge and Honore also, as well as other areas.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelavie View Post
There's a helicopter that's been circling Gulf Gate for the last 15 minutes or so. Seems a bit odd at 10:30 at night. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
This is a frequent occurrance,(at least montly or more), it use to have me jumping out of my seat making sure my door was locked. LOL. You know, just in case an escape was looking for a hiding place. (What can I say, years of watching too many police dramas). Sometimes it still gets under my skin when I hear those heli-c circling over here in GG. I mean there were a couple of murders in the area not too long ago. So yes keeping it real. After seeing earlier responses to Leetchy's thread, I don't find myself peeking out the window wondering as much anymore. But then, grow houses are nothing to be complacent about either.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 AM

8 posts, read 11,238 times
Peacefully quiet domestic drones flying far above in 2015 will keep many from awakening.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Not sure about that area or incident, but we also used to see and hear the Coast Guard helicopters quite a bit closer to the beaches. Not as much in Bradenton, but when we lived in St Pete it was a regular occurrence.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:30 PM

TRosa, I have that "lock the door now!" reaction as well! A friend of mine also mentioned the heat sensors and grow houses today. I never even thought of that. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-14-2012, 04:48 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelavie View Post
TRosa, I have that "lock the door now!" reaction as well! A friend of mine also mentioned the heat sensors and grow houses today. I never even thought of that. Thanks for the info!

Speaking of sounds in GG area, you didn't happen to hear these loud popping sounds in the middle of the night a week or so ago did you? It had me looking for a hidding place, sounding like someone was out shooting at anything moving. I know I'm starting to sound like I spend too much time worrying, but this was just a really weird popping, not the fireworks kind, I've only heard one gun being fired at someone near where I lived before and that was in Tampa, in 2008. I'll never forget waking to that sound, thought that was fireworks, till I heard a couple more shots. Still get shivers thinkng about it. Anyway, just wondered, since you live in the area, if you might have heard that popping sound, it went on for quite a good while.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:40 PM

24 posts, read 36,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSmokedOut View Post
Peacefully quiet domestic drones flying far above in 2015 will keep many from awakening.
Ha! Yeah, "will keep many from awakening" in more ways than one!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Speaking of sounds in GG area, you didn't happen to hear these loud popping sounds in the middle of the night a week or so ago did you? It had me looking for a hidding place, sounding like someone was out shooting at anything moving. I know I'm starting to sound like I spend too much time worrying, but this was just a really weird popping, not the fireworks kind, I've only heard one gun being fired at someone near where I lived before and that was in Tampa, in 2008. I'll never forget waking to that sound, thought that was fireworks, till I heard a couple more shots. Still get shivers thinkng about it. Anyway, just wondered, since you live in the area, if you might have heard that popping sound, it went on for quite a good while.
I've heard what I assume were fireworks a few times, but nothing besides that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area