Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:51 PM

162 posts, read 388,700 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I do not need a specific list of names yet (although a few favorites would be great ), as we will not be there before the end of the year.

I have done key word searches for water view/ ocean view/ waterfront restaurants etc. but always get a page of links to *all* restaurants.

It does not matter what kind of food...just hoping there are a number to choose from .

Not searching for vacation reasons, we may be moving to the area. I will come here to ask for specific places to check out when we are near our time to visit.

Thank you for any help. Any mention of places in St. Pete's will be welcome as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 02:39 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
seriously?

Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyPlaces View Post
Hi,
I do not need a specific list of names yet (although a few favorites would be great ), as we will not be there before the end of the year.

I have done key word searches for water view/ ocean view/ waterfront restaurants etc. but always get a page of links to *all* restaurants.

It does not matter what kind of food...just hoping there are a number to choose from .

Not searching for vacation reasons, we may be moving to the area. I will come here to ask for specific places to check out when we are near our time to visit.

Thank you for any help. Any mention of places in St. Pete's will be welcome as well.

Ocean front? None in Sarasota. I don't think there is one between Sharkey's in Venice and the Beach House in Brandenton. Now waterfront is another matter.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Here are some Waterfront Restaurants - Dry Dock Waterfront Grill, Moore's Stonecrab Rest, Phillippi Creek Village Rest and Oyster Bar, Turtles, Beach Bistro, Old Salty Dog, Ophelias,

Old 07-07-2013, 07:25 PM

162 posts, read 388,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Here are some Waterfront Restaurants - Dry Dock Waterfront Grill, Moore's Stonecrab Rest, Phillippi Creek Village Rest and Oyster Bar, Turtles, Beach Bistro, Old Salty Dog, Ophelias,
Thank you Apparently Sarasota is not considered an Oceanside town...looking at maps it looks to be one and the videos I have viewed seemed to suggest it.

We have never been there and do not know anyone who has so I decided to just come here and ask.

I thought the marina near downtown SRQ was an ocean marina...am I missing something?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:29 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,017 times
I believe it was the sandbar I went to, and it was really good, although I'm not sure it was them, although it gets good yelp reviews.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:36 PM

33 posts, read 75,149 times
Sarasota is on the Gulf side and Ft Lauderdale is on the oceanside of the state.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:05 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyPlaces View Post
Thank you Apparently Sarasota is not considered an Oceanside town...looking at maps it looks to be one and the videos I have viewed seemed to suggest it.

We have never been there and do not know anyone who has so I decided to just come here and ask.

I thought the marina near downtown SRQ was an ocean marina...am I missing something?
It depends on what you mean by "ocean" view. There are many restaurants with a view of the inter coastal waterway, which technically is part of the ocean. But there are very few restaurants with a direct view of the Gulf of Mexico. Marina Jacks is on the inter coastal and does have a water view. IMO it is over priced, but others seem to like it. Some of my favorite waterfront restaurants are Casey Key Fish House and Pop's Sunset Grill (Nokomis), Sharkey's (Venice - on the beach), Old Salty Dog (Lido Key), and Mar Vista (Longboat Key and the most romantic of the bunch). And Siesta, Lido and Longboat Keys are usually considered Sarasota.

BTW don't let the snarky comments get to you. It's really a nice place.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:53 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
My step-daughter goes to Marina Jacks all the time. Welcome to Marina Jack!

Old 07-08-2013, 01:53 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
You are confusing ocean with gulf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area