Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 AM

180 posts, read 262,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
............However, most of us like the elbow room and less traffic from snow-birds.
Which is precisely why the wife and I chose North Port. During the winter months traffic is at a crawl just about everywhere else. North Port has a good mix of both retirees AND young families, much less traffic and great parks. Few North Porters work in North Port but it's not to far to drive to the surrounding towns and cities to work. Yes, it's a little slower and laid back but if you want shopping, great restaurants, night life, beaches and things to do you're only minutes away from it all. Lower housing costs, less traffic, quieter neighborhoods and more room to breathe seems like a fair trade off. Not to mention not living in a flood plain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 06:10 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Oh - I see the part where he asks about jobs - but he still must be fairly well off being 24 yrs old and be shopping for houses without a job - I guess he will pay in cash.

Yes, North Port is boring for 20 somethings but great for families and retirees as the goose says - its nice and country and only 25 minutes to great beaches.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepHome941 View Post
You seem to continue to want to bash on North Port, Sunshine, while ignoring the fact that budget problems are county wide for all of Sarasota County, which by population is dominated by the unincorporated areas with Sarasota zip codes.

Sarasota County will exhaust budget reserves by 2016

North Port is at least moving in a positive direction as the new Commissioners who will only have been on the job 1 year come November, are doing as they promised during the campaign which is reducing the budget and being fiscally responsible. As mentioned, we are the only City in the region that is rolling back taxes but unfortunately this will be offset by the irresponsible governance of our Sarasota County Commission. It should also be noted that the City of Sarasota has serious problems with unfunded pensions too and will be raising taxes on her residents not rolling them back, so City residents will take a double hit, between the city and the county problems. I am not saying that North Port does not have issues, every city and county in America do, but you are painting a bleak picture of North Port and ignoring that Sarasota and Sarasota County have even bigger issues than we do.

The original poster was asking about the city of North Port, not the city of Sarasota. If he had asked about the city of Sarasota, I would have mentioned negatives such as the latest budget (city taxes are going up), the homeless situation in the downtown area and the bleeping red light cameras they have placed on many of the intersections -- along with the good things about the city of Sarasota such as St. Armands Circle, the bay front parks, the beaches, downtown Sarasota, culteral offerings, etc. A balanced picture.

If he had been asking about Siesta Key I would have waxed poetic about the public beaches but also brought up the new elephant in the room - flood insurance and how the changes to the flood insurance program by Congress last year will financially impact buyers in flood zones going into the future. (That topic is worthy of a whole separate thread.)

Often on this forum when the topic of North Port comes up, the people asking for information will get the "chamber of commerce" version of the picture from certain posters. The people seeking information look at the populations of the cities of Sarasota and North Port and assume that because the populations of Sarasota and North Port are similar that the two cities must be as well. That is an incorrect assumption. As I have mentioned before, I have some friends that moved to North Port and love living there. I know 2 other couples that moved there, hated it and moved on. I think the couples that moved on did so because they didn't do enough research on North Port before they bought there, and it did not live up to their personal expectations of what North Port would be. I also think the couple that bought in North Port and are happy there are so because they did do their due diligence up front and understood the ins and outs of community in which they were buying.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
We know nothing about the O.P. - he can buy a home on his own and does not seemed worried about finding a job - he might be a trust fund baby - who knows?
Yes, because independently wealthy twenty somethings just flock to the nightlife, fun, and singles life that is North Port.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
The original poster was asking about the city of North Port, not the city of Sarasota. If he had asked about the city of Sarasota, I would have mentioned negatives such as the latest budget (city taxes are going up), the homeless situation in the downtown area and the bleeping red light cameras they have placed on many of the intersections -- along with the good things about the city of Sarasota such as St. Armands Circle, the bay front parks, the beaches, downtown Sarasota, culteral offerings, etc. A balanced picture.

If he had been asking about Siesta Key I would have waxed poetic about the public beaches but also brought up the new elephant in the room - flood insurance and how the changes to the flood insurance program by Congress last year will financially impact buyers in flood zones going into the future. (That topic is worthy of a whole separate thread.)

Often on this forum when the topic of North Port comes up, the people asking for information will get the "chamber of commerce" version of the picture from certain posters. The people seeking information look at the populations of the cities of Sarasota and North Port and assume that because the populations of Sarasota and North Port are similar that the two cities must be as well. That is an incorrect assumption. As I have mentioned before, I have some friends that moved to North Port and love living there. I know 2 other couples that moved there, hated it and moved on. I think the couples that moved on did so because they didn't do enough research on North Port before they bought there, and it did not live up to their personal expectations of what North Port would be. I also think the couple that bought in North Port and are happy there are so because they did do their due diligence up front and understood the ins and outs of community in which they were buying.
I consider your descriptions to be balanced and informative. Keep them coming.

And I agree with you there should be a thread on flood rates.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:39 PM

697 posts, read 1,170,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Yes, because independently wealthy twenty somethings just flock to the nightlife, fun, and singles life that is North Port.
Really?..where..lol

Old 09-19-2013, 08:19 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Don't you know that North Port is the new jet setter hot spot? Its all been kept pretty secret so I cant reveal anymore....

Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Don't you know that North Port is the new jet setter hot spot? Its all been kept pretty secret so I cant reveal anymore....
haha (LOL from the old days)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area