Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 02:52 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times

Advertisements

I'm quite dismayed about what has been going on with Warm Mineral Springs in North Port. Warm Mineral Springs

Are the local people still up in arms over this or have they largely given up on demanding that the Springs reopen to the public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 03:25 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
this post probably belongs in the port charlotte site, not sarasota-bradenton

Old 10-20-2013, 03:38 PM

Maybe you're right. I seem to see North Port posters in both forums. Sarasota county and North Port own the Springs jointly, that's why I thought maybe the Sarasota forum was the place to post this.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:02 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Since Warm Mineral Springs is in Sarasota County I think this is the right place to post this.

I always post North Port posts in here because there is no North Point forum and it is in Sarasota County.

And, yes, I care about the Springs - when I first moved here 6 months ago I wanted to go there but I was a little hesitant because it costs so much money to go in there - why spend that much money when I can go to a beautiful FREE beach instead? They need to re-open it and lower the costs.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:36 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
There is a lot of controversy over Warm Mineral Springs. Here is a web site that was created since the closing - Warm Mineral Springs

Who knows when or if it will reopen.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:45 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Thanks TamRE - interesting website

Old 10-22-2013, 12:11 PM

213 posts, read 575,989 times
FWIW I never heard of it until now.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM

285 posts, read 639,332 times
I discovered Warm Mineral Springs in May about 6 weeks before it closed. Cool place to visit a couple times but after a while it gets old going around in a circle all the time. Much rather go to the beach. To their credit they do spice things up with free water aerobics to music and had a nice cafe & spa. Most of the patrons are elderly and very European, not too many hot bodies there to ogle. Probably 80-90% don't speak English, and Russian is the most popular language it seems. I'm quite skeptical of the medical claims, think placebo effect and the lack of double-blind studies. I could see how the soft water could help skin issues like itching, eczema, and the like. But to claim the magic water cures arthritis, cancer, and so on I think are baseless folklore.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetchy2 View Post
I discovered Warm Mineral Springs in May about 6 weeks before it closed. Cool place to visit a couple times but after a while it gets old going around in a circle all the time. Much rather go to the beach. To their credit they do spice things up with free water aerobics to music and had a nice cafe & spa. Most of the patrons are elderly and very European, not too many hot bodies there to ogle. Probably 80-90% don't speak English, and Russian is the most popular language it seems. I'm quite skeptical of the medical claims, think placebo effect and the lack of double-blind studies. I could see how the soft water could help skin issues like itching, eczema, and the like. But to claim the magic water cures arthritis, cancer, and so on I think are baseless folklore.
I happened to discover it right before it closed too. I can't even compare it to the beach, such a totally different experience. I enjoyed the drum circle, the water exercise classes, yoga on the grounds, and the organic fare restaurant on site. And I loved the atmosphere - mystical flute music playing in the background, all of the older Ukrainian and Russian patrons, the Adirondack chairs set up under weeping trees. I do believe the waters of the Spring healed my sunburn. I've never had a sunburn fade that quickly.

I'm pretty disgusted that this beautiful, natural place is now "closed" to the public. It sounds like the state of Florida usually runs its state parks quite well. If that is true, I think it might be best for Warm Mineral Springs to be turned over to the state to be run as a state park. Apparently Sarasota county and North Port can't handle ownership of this place.

Thanks to everyone for your responses so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area