Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 AM

285 posts, read 639,025 times

Advertisements

Are there any businesses in the area that would be interested in buying a whole house worth of used furniture?

Eventually, if & when I sell my home here in SRQ, I'll be moving to the Carolinas and building a new home. I'm figuring it may be more cost effective to sell all my furniture and buy totally new stuff up there rather than pay movers to ship it, put it in storage for 12 months while the new home is being built, and then delivering to my new home.

Furniture is semi-quality stuff in great shape (much of it is from Pennsylvania House & Charleston Forged) but about 12 years old. I'd need a business to buy everything, not just purchase select pieces (and not interested in posting on Craigslist ... too many scammers). Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 AM

128 posts, read 263,988 times
I'm not trying to be funny, but... I have had really terrific luck with Craigslist. There are plenty of scammers, but I've sold every piece of furniture that I've ever listed without almost any trouble or inconvenience.

You might get an email or two from Princes in Exile, but it'll be easy to tell who's really interested and who's trying to scam you.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM

4,614 posts, read 7,534,118 times
Yes, there are a number of local companies that deal in resale furniture. I went thru a similar situation a couple of weeks ago with a customer selling his winter condo that didn't need any of the furniture after closing. Although the furniture was just 5 years old, all like brand new and he was willing to sell it at a VERY reasonable price, none of the local used furniture dealers were even interested in looking at it. I was told over and over that they were not buying at this time, they had too much inventory.

As someone else suggested, you might try a Craigslist ad - but I would set up a separate email that I use only for that site, so your regular email box doesn't get hit with junk emails. Or place an ad in the Sarasota newspaper, perhaps do a moving sale ad?

Old 11-01-2013, 01:30 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,546,851 times
Neat Repeats in Port Charlotte. 2nd Chance Home Furnishings in North Port.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:10 PM

67 posts, read 100,547 times
You could also try 'Kingberry Estate Finds'. They are in Palmetto on 8th Ave W. 941-722-7887.
We have been in their store several times. They typically an entire estate. Some of the junk goes into the dumpster, some gets donated to charities and the better stuff goes into the store in Palmetto.

We sold all of our furniture before moving to FLA, didn't want to move it or store it while we were looking for a house. Bought new and pre-owned furniture after we moved to our 'new' house.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:39 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Consider a consignment store. They sell it and give you the proceeds when it sells, but they keep some of the proceeds. Google "Sarasota furniture consign".

Old 11-03-2013, 04:41 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,546,851 times
My stepdaughter just went shopping yesterday to 13 consignment shops in Sarasota. So that is probably your best bet. Just look them up on the Internet.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
I do think it depends on the store's capacity for storage and varies by season...
We bought two pieces recently off Craigslist--
a 7 piece dining set and a media stand for a flatscreen--
both from different sellers--
each of them said if they didn't sell soon they were sending the stuff to consignment stores--
some places might take one or two pieces and maybe not an entire condo...
Personally I have had good luck with Craigslist in Sarasota area...but there are scammers...

Old 11-03-2013, 07:18 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,244 times
if you have a ton of furniture, have an auction! or really craigslist is the best bet, consignment shops you will get maybe half price what you will from craigslist.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,199 times
You could hire an estate sale company to come to your house and hold a sale there, or you could do it yourself. If I see "estate sale" signs, I pull a U-turn, because it means furniture and not a bunch of trinkets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area