Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:10 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,915,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
So after visiting this site and getting the acceptance with the job, I'm here in Bradenton in less than a month.

We're looking to sign a lease on Perico Island this upcoming week. From a coworker, I've heard about the Robinson Preserve and learned about great hiking, biking, and kayaking. We've looked at getting a kayak for two (fiance doesn't want to be on her own just yet), but also looking for one that would be suitable to fish out of for one. We've checked Craigslist, but we don't know much about kayaks (we had a jet ski). Does anyone know what I should be looking for and what price range? I don't want to go brand new, super pricey if I don't have to.
I have two tandem Ocean Kayaks and I love them. They have rod holders and are great for getting into very shallow water for flats fishing. Here's a blog I wrote about kayaking Brushy Bayou in Sarasota Bay. The bright yellow kayaks in the pictures are the Ocean Kayaks: //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog2...ayou-lido.html

I like the sit on top kayaks as opposed to the sit in kayaks. If you're out in the intercoastal and a large boat goes by the water washes right off with the sit on top but if you have a sit in kayak, very often, they get swamped from the water and you have to roll them. Not fun if you have a bunch of gear.

This is a pretty decent kayak: Fishing Kayak Océan Trident 11 Although you might want a tandem if you want your wife to ride with you. I usually ride with my husband and many times I was glad we were together. Some of the summer storms can kick up some pretty heavy wind and rain. Trying to paddle against this by yourself can be pretty difficult.

This is what I have: Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL I wouldn't recommend buying this one though with a hole in the hull. This is a really good price for these but I don't see the rod holders: Tandem Kayaks- Malibu 2 XL Ocean Kayak This is a nice fishing *** but a bit pricey: Hobie Mirage Outfitter 2 Person Kayak This looks pretty decent and you might be able to talk them down: Jackson "Tuna" Kayak - New

Make sure you get light weight carbon fiber paddles. I makes a big difference on long paddles.

Good luck and happy paddling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 04:05 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,737,453 times
Definitely agree on the carbon fiber paddles and sit on top style but I strongly suggest you not get a tandem kayak. It will ruin your fun and/or your marriage.

Seriously, unless you both like doing the same thing at the same time, and you really, really, really believe she will paddle, too, you are better off with two kayaks. That way you can fish and she can do what she wants while you both stay in the same areas plus, when you want to go and she doesn't, you don't have to deal with the size and weight by yourself. Trust me...you'll thank me.

Bob
RE Agent and Unofficial Marriage Counselor

BTW, there are a bunch of websites where you can find used kayaks. I have an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 that I like but I also had a couple of Ocean Kayak Scupper Pros back before there were a million different brands and models and those were great. You should be able to find some used ones.

Last edited by bbronston; 03-01-2014 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area