Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:23 PM

244 posts, read 373,040 times

Advertisements

Anybody know if Direct TV is allowed per HOAs in Lakewood Ranch, specifically Central Park ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
IIRC, you can have a satellite antenna but it can't be attached to a roof or be visible from the street.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:08 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
As per FCC sec 207 rule 47 sec 1.4 Oct 96, no HOA can ban a sat dish, an old fashion TV antenna, an antenna to receive video, data, voice. If an HOA requires that the dish be mounted on the side or rear of a unit and a signal can not be received or the installation costs substantially more than a front installation, the requirement is prohibited.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
In Central Park, it's not likely to be an issue. I doubt any house there would not be able to have the antenna in back and not have a signal. In condos, though, many people think they can have a dish and attach it to the building. Most condos have prohibitions that say owners can only place an antenna in an area of the unit owners exclusive use and may not attach the antenna to other locations on the building or anywhere on the roof. The FCC regulation doesn't give a unit owner a right to use property that is not theirs or their exclusive use.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:14 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
As per FCC sec 207 rule 47 sec 1.4 Oct 96, no HOA can ban a sat dish, an old fashion TV antenna, an antenna to receive video, data, voice. If an HOA requires that the dish be mounted on the side or rear of a unit and a signal can not be received or the installation costs substantially more than a front installation, the requirement is prohibited.
I had forgotten about that. We moved into our house in NJ in the ealry 90's before the days of the small dish. Since the house is about 500ft from the main road, the cable company (Cablevision- which is now Comcast) wanted $3000 to run a cable down to the house (utilities are underground). We ended up with a 12ft dish in the back yard.

The way those worked- if the station you wanted to see wasn't on the same satellite, you had to wait for this dish to reposition itself. And in the winter, you had to shovel the snow out of the bottom to get a signal. So anytime snow was forecast, I'd have to remember to position the thing straight up so less snow would accumulate and I could scoop it out.

I thought our town might give us grief about it being so big, but there was no problem at all.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
In Central Park, it's not likely to be an issue. I doubt any house there would not be able to have the antenna in back and not have a signal. In condos, though, many people think they can have a dish and attach it to the building. Most condos have prohibitions that say owners can only place an antenna in an area of the unit owners exclusive use and may not attach the antenna to other locations on the building or anywhere on the roof. The FCC regulation doesn't give a unit owner a right to use property that is not theirs or their exclusive use.

Thank you and everyone else that was nice enough to respond... I know we also have Fios which i have up here in NY but was just getting my options together, last time i had Direct TV it used to go out during storms which i believe Florida has from time to time..

Old 05-09-2014, 12:28 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby162 View Post
Thank you and everyone else that was nice enough to respond... I know we also have Fios which i have up here in NY but was just getting my options together, last time i had Direct TV it used to go out during storms which i believe Florida has from time to time..

Not so much anymore. The technology has improved considerably and the only time it goes out is when a very nasty storm is overhead and the TV is probably not best on anyway with lightning strikes, etc.

I find I had more issues with cable outages than I have currently with DirecTV.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:08 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
No matter what the HOA rules or no HOA or the dish mounting situation, all must be pointed to a clear southern view and most in the 90-130 longitude. [i.e. DISH 110 & 119]

Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
[/b]

Not so much anymore. The technology has improved considerably and the only time it goes out is when a very nasty storm is overhead and the TV is probably not best on anyway with lightning strikes, etc.

I find I had more issues with cable outages than I have currently with DirecTV.

that is good to know, although it still went out from time to time at work, before i retired last year

Old 05-09-2014, 05:45 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,358 times
If any of you want a free DISH satellite unit, just hit me up. You take it off my not easily accessible 2nd story roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area