Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 08:11 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times

Advertisements

We are catholic but are looking to move to a new church to benefit our daughter. Looking for something in Bradenton, faith friendly or non denominational. Something small would be great. Just looking for anything that is fun I suppose--she is 9 and we are in our late 30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 09:09 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
what kind of benefit do you think one church will have over another. why do you think a different religion is beneficial?

Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 AM

174 posts, read 409,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
what kind of benefit do you think one church will have over another. why do you think a different religion is beneficial?
You raise excellent questions. I'll do my best to explain to where you will be able to understand what I am trying to tell you.

Each church is different based on their doctrines and how they teach. Usually denominational churches, Catholic, Protestant, Lutheran, etc have a more strict/structured way of teaching which borders on preaching.

The non-denominational churches they to have their own doctrines, but they are more relaxed and not as rigid in their teachings. They seem to follow what is in the bible and not the man-made rules in the denominational churches. i.e., birth baptism, praying to saints, celibacy (some churches), etc.

As the denominations churches are more religious, the non-denomination churches are more spiritual. These churches teach you to have a daily relationship with God on a more intimate level.

Of course this is my opinion. And I'm sure this may cause a debate. But if it does, please let us be kind to one another's opinion.

IMHO the bottom line is to have a one to one relationship with God on His terms and not yours.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:05 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
You are absolutely right, We are catholic and have been practicing, and raising our daughter as catholic. I read the bible, and believe in the power if prayer. However, if I am bored at mass, I can imagine how she feels. The catholic parishes offer nothing for the younger children, nothing to interest them. It's very traditional. We need messages that we can put into our everyday lives, things relatable. This isn't something I'm thrilled about, but if I have to switch churches to keep my daughter with some faith, then I will. I'm not looking to start a religious debate, we are very open minded and do not feel one religion is better than the other. I was raised catholic as was my husband and we chose this for our family as well. Originally from the Midwest, we find the catholic parishes here do not put emphasis on the youth as they did in our previous location.
Thanks for any suggestions : )

Old 05-21-2014, 10:01 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
so...you pick and choose your daughter's religion based on entertainment value? ok, i can buy that

Old 05-21-2014, 10:29 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
^^^Geez...if you can't give someone enough space to respect their personal faith choices, why even bother posting? Do you think you will change her mind or show her the error in her logic, as you perceive it?

I'm sure there are many good choices out there but I've been hearing very good things about Bayside and I think Woodland would also fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area