Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 03:53 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,109,325 times

Advertisements

I have been coming to Sarasota one week a month for the last year and have never had a bug bite.

On Monday we closed on the apartment building we bought (near Mattisons on 41). We have been getting orientation sessions from the current owner. This means walking around learning the location of the water shut off valve, back flow values, learning how to start the mower etc. Every time I got there, I am getting eaten alive. Maybe it is because I am in the grass, but I am not having this issue in the yard around our house.

The first day I stepped on ants and the bites hurt and itched for a day an a half. The next day one of the tenants informed me I had a mosquito on my check. And I am getting eaten alive by stuff I can't see, which I am guessing are no see ums. The don't seem to be bothering my husband at all.

I have done a search on the topic on this forum (not exhaustively though), and the suggestions are things like use oil on your body they don't like, such as lavender oil or Avon's skin so soft. Really?

I want to walk into Walgreens (or any store) and buy something that doesn't totally stink but is effective. I don't have time to mix my own oils or find an avon lady.

Also, should we have the ground sprayed for ants? There is no standing water. Is there anything else we can do to encourage the bug population to move along. This is a whole new world.

Also any shoe suggestions. I am accustomed to always wearing jeans. I was going to switch to shorts, but that would just give them a bigger buffet.

Help? Please?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 04:32 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,377,735 times
You can have the property sprayed and treated for insects. Normally most of the bug companies offer the service. We treat for fire ants constantly and the Amdro works but a new mound just pops up. Maybe a professional treatment would work better. If you don't mind deet on your body or clothes get yourself a bottle of OFF, it does keep the Mosquitos away, don't think it works in the fire ants though. Rule of thumb here is watch where you are walking, it takes just seconds to step into a mound and get bit up pretty bad.

For the shoes, I guess tennis shoes would offer the most protection but I can't stand my feet being hot and wear sandals all the time and am just cautious when walking outside.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:54 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,513,488 times
Ant mounds generally are present where there is a good amt of sun beating down on the ground. If an area is mostly shaded, it's rare to find ant mounts.

Pretty soon you will get a very keen eye and you'll know where to step to avoid ant mounds.

As avove person said, Amdro works well. There are 2 diff kinds. I like the bait that doesn't need to be watered in. You just strinkle it on the mound and they eat the granules and within 2 days the mound is gone.

I doubt you have no-see-ums on 41. They generally stay very close to the water...as in less than 100 feet.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Ant mounds generally are present where there is a good amt of sun beating down on the ground. If an area is mostly shaded, it's rare to find ant mounts.

Pretty soon you will get a very keen eye and you'll know where to step to avoid ant mounds.

As avove person said, Amdro works well. There are 2 diff kinds. I like the bait that doesn't need to be watered in. You just strinkle it on the mound and they eat the granules and within 2 days the mound is gone.

I doubt you have no-see-ums on 41. They generally stay very close to the water...as in less than 100 feet.
In Arkansas and Oklahoma, we had chiggers. They were so small you couldn't see them. Are there chiggers here? The bites I can't see are mostly on my ankles--some on my arms. Any guesses what those are?

On the map it looks like there is a finger of water from the bay, but the scale looks like it must be at least 500 feet away.

https://maps.google.com/maps?bav=on....d=0CJ0BEPwSMAs

Old 06-04-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

Most of the property is pretty sunny, but the place I stepped on ants was in an area that is shaded throughout the day. How do I know if they were fire ants or regular ants. Do regular ants bite?

Old 06-04-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
You can have the property sprayed and treated for insects. Normally most of the bug companies offer the service. We treat for fire ants constantly and the Amdro works but a new mound just pops up. Maybe a professional treatment would work better. If you don't mind deet on your body or clothes get yourself a bottle of OFF, it does keep the Mosquitos away, don't think it works in the fire ants though. Rule of thumb here is watch where you are walking, it takes just seconds to step into a mound and get bit up pretty bad.

For the shoes, I guess tennis shoes would offer the most protection but I can't stand my feet being hot and wear sandals all the time and am just cautious when walking outside.
Will OFF keep no see ums away if that is what is biting me. (Maybe I have a band of gypsy no see ums.)

OFF certainly fits the bill of walk in and buy it so tomorrows carnivores don't get such a big meal.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:29 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,681,751 times
Still might be no see ums. Especially if you are getting bit on your arms. They look very tiny & grayish colored & it really hurts when they bite (at least it does on me). I get bit pretty much everywhere I go it seems

Old 06-04-2014, 05:36 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,377,735 times
If you are bitten by fire ants you will get a very itchy red raised bump, it will get a yellow hard head like thing on it and be present for quite a while. It will itch for a few days too. Last time I had several on my feet I stuck my feet in the pool and it really soothed them, don't know if it was the salt water or what but it did help.

I'm not sweet enough for the Mosquitos but my hubby can't step outside without getting bit.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:42 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,681,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
If you are bitten by fire ants you will get a very itchy red raised bump, it will get a yellow hard head like thing on it and be present for quite a while. It will itch for a few days too. Last time I had several on my feet I stuck my feet in the pool and it really soothed them, don't know if it was the salt water or what but it did help.

I'm not sweet enough for the Mosquitos but my hubby can't step outside without getting bit.
Fire ant bites are awful! I have a scar on my hand from a bite- had to drain the puss of out it multiple times to finally get it to heal. (Sorry, TMI, I know) Nasty little buggers!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:44 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,561,142 times
I learned from our Truly Nolen rep that the pyramid shaped ant hills are called pyramid ants and they don't bite. The fire ants are flatter ant mounds and have holes in them. But I stay away from either type when I see them. I get blisters from the fire ant bites and they last for more than a week. A pest control company can spray for ants and other pests in your yard and around your home, but you will still get some no matter what.

Yes, the noseeums are out. I get bit in the evening when I walk my dog. Not much you can do about them as far as pest control. Charlotte County sprays for mosquitos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area