Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:17 AM

6 posts, read 7,090 times

Advertisements

My family and are on the cusp of making a decision to move to the Sarasota area after visiting for years. Since we are so close to making a decision, I have started to look into the viability of our first chosen area (Sarasota and south towards Venice).

I have a few colleagues around Tampa that work in the Tampa metro area and they have assured me the market for IT folks is strong. But I am wondering about Sarasota?

If there is anyone on here that's in IT I would describe my skill sett as Jack of all trades, focused on networking (Cisco). My experience is on the light side at a years worth, but I interview well and have the determination to make anything work. I am over half way through my BS and have an AS as well as few certifications.

If the IT job market is too light in Sarasota, how far of a commute would it be to the metro area to the north? I see google maps says downtown Tampa is over an hour in good traffic, but then again I would not be looking in downtown Tampa for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 AM

83 posts, read 178,970 times
Amazon's new facility in Ruskin:
Amazon Jobs | IT Support Technician II
Amazon Jobs | IT PROJECT MANAGER

Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Sarasota/Bradenton has IT work, but it's fairly low volume(not that many jobs compared to bigger cities). Check dice.com on a regular basis to get a feel for what's available at any given time(as well as other job boards).

Also check county/state/city web sites as well as all local hospitals. The county/city/state often pay a low salary(vs private sector) and go after junior candidates, which is where your experience/education puts you at this moment in time. Also check school boards - they are separate entities.

The Tampa/St Pete area has many more IT jobs. Also the pay is generally (not aways) approx. 20% higher in Tampa/St Pete.

Amazon.com is in the process of adding a massive warehouse at I-75 in the Ruskin area. Likely this will bring more companies to that general location.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 AM

509 posts, read 907,458 times
My sil is in the IT field. He works from home. He says the company he works for is hiring right now.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 AM

14 posts, read 15,404 times
Hi All,

Chris thanks for posting you question as I have the same question myself.

I was born in Sarasota and have since lived the life of a military brat. Joined the Army and did 4 years, curre4ntly living in D.C. and have had enough. Considering moving to that area (Sarasota, Tampa) with my family. I have over 14 years in IT 5 years in IT Security.

Frida could you provide the name of your son's company so i could look more into it?

Respectfully,

Tony

Old 07-08-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Sarasota/Bradenton has IT work, but it's fairly low volume(not that many jobs compared to bigger cities). Check dice.com on a regular basis to get a feel for what's available at any given time(as well as other job boards).

Also check county/state/city web sites as well as all local hospitals. The county/city/state often pay a low salary(vs private sector) and go after junior candidates, which is where your experience/education puts you at this moment in time. Also check school boards - they are separate entities.

The Tampa/St Pete area has many more IT jobs. Also the pay is generally (not aways) approx. 20% higher in Tampa/St Pete.

Amazon.com is in the process of adding a massive warehouse at I-75 in the Ruskin area. Likely this will bring more companies to that general location.
Wow great info, thanks to the both of you. Amazon would be an amazing opportunity for sure.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TToTheB View Post
Hi All,

Chris thanks for posting you question as I have the same question myself.

I was born in Sarasota and have since lived the life of a military brat. Joined the Army and did 4 years, curre4ntly living in D.C. and have had enough. Considering moving to that area (Sarasota, Tampa) with my family. I have over 14 years in IT 5 years in IT Security.

Frida could you provide the name of your son's company so i could look more into it?

Respectfully,

Tony
Do you have S/TS clearance? There is a large military presence in Tampa with Macdill that you might be able to use to your advantage.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:04 PM

707 posts, read 1,052,359 times
You could look for a home in Manatee County to be on the safe side and give yourself some flexibility. You'd be about 40 minutes to downtown Tampa and 35 minutes to downtown Sarasota from there. Housing there is also affordable around I-75, with lots of new and newer home communities.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:58 AM

What cities would that be? Like Ellenton? Or further north?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:07 AM

14 posts, read 15,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by --chris-- View Post
Do you have S/TS clearance? There is a large military presence in Tampa with Macdill that you might be able to use to your advantage.

Good Morning Chris,

Thanks for the info

Yes I do have an active Security Clearance. Have you been able to find a Salary Range for the Area. I am starting to contact recruiters and I don't want to get shorted on Salary or take myself out of the running because I am asking for too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area