Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:17 PM

52 posts, read 79,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
Last winter was cold for Florida, meaning 60's and a couple of nights below 32. Being a snow-birder, I get a kick out of seeing full time residents marching around with down jackets and boots when the temps drop to 60. Our first year down it was in the 40's during the day in December and we were damned if we weren't going to enjoy the beach, so on went our ski jackets and gloves and off to the beach we went
Haha I do the same thing! It was so funny to me to see how bundled up people were and I'm walking around in maybe a sweatshirt. At work they're talking about the cold weather and the heavy coats they wear and I just laugh. I did the same last year with the beach, the only month I missed going since I moved here last October was during December, and that was more because it was so busy. We love to go for a walk in the sand or my 2yr plays with his sand toys, we don't care that we can't get in the water we just love to be there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 08:18 PM

52 posts, read 79,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I can only tell you what happened last winter as it was our first winter in Venice. There we a few days that I put the heat on in Jan and wore pants and a sweater for the day. The community pool is heated and on those colder days we did not go swimming. It may have taken one more day for the temps to come up, but I don't remember any more than 2-3 days in a row where it was too cold to swim. The temps would come right back up (both air and pool) and we'd be right back in the pool. I don't think I'd go in the Gulf much past the end of Oct or beginning of April. But we still have some northern blood in us and would go in the water even in the high 70's.
Sounds like this is the exact weather I'm looking for, thanks!

Old 10-06-2014, 02:16 PM

130 posts, read 234,412 times
We wanted to have tropical vegetation so we are in Bradenton, south of Tampa...North of here you can have killing frosts on tropicals...To give a demonstration of global warming...My parents lived here starting in 1979 when it was USDA Zone 9, today we are Zone 10...

Old 10-07-2014, 07:44 AM

707 posts, read 1,052,359 times
Tampa across to Melbourne seems to be the dividing line in FL for cold temps. When it's 65 here I feel cold.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:45 AM

707 posts, read 1,052,359 times
To give a demonstration of "global warming", we have had ZERO hurricanes hit FL since.......

Old 10-07-2014, 08:24 AM

252 posts, read 371,293 times
I've read numerous times that there is about 2-3 degrees difference between Sarasota and, say Fort Myers. But I've also read numerous posts saying the difference is more like 7-8 degrees. Does it actually 'feel' 7-8 degrees warmer down there? If so, that a big deal in a cold winter.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:36 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinaj2 View Post
What exactly is the weather like in the winter? I did research when I moved last year and chose the panhandle. The highs through winter were supposed to be 60's with lows around 40. Needless to say last winter was much colder and now last night it was only 40 overnight. So according to weather.com and city data the coldest it gets their is low 70's during the day and low 50's overnight. Is that pretty accurate? Can you pretty much swim all year? I've been to Punta Gorda in February before and it was in the 80's and we were in the pool and the Gulf. I feel like I don't get that much more swim time than when I lived in PA and am hoping by the end of March to have found a job in Venice area and be moved further down south.
The weather in the winter fluctuates & no averages are just that ~ averaged...It depends on the fronts that come through; there is no rhyme or reason anymore.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:23 PM

11 posts, read 24,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Use to be that you could count on one or two freeze nights in the third week of January every other year. But it seems that global warming has gotten worse the last few years. We now get a week of freeze nights in January every year.
Global warming, or do you mean global cooling with your scenario above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area