Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 05:14 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,358 times

Advertisements

I love a good stroll down the sidewalk in my thong........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 05:36 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Having grown up in the Sarasota area and having kids who are going through the school system, I can say it's once of the best school systems around. We've also been involved in the Manatee and Charlotte county school systems- public, private and gifted school in all three counties.

If you're looking for a place with more relaxed restrictions and the Mediterranean style you should look around Sarasota Hospital-In Avondale on Irving or Lincoln St, Bayview Heights around Mulberry or Haywood, Bungalow Hill-On Citrus St or Orange, Granada-Camino Real or Fortuna St., Harbor Acres around Harbor Dr and Hillview St, Poinsettia Park, San Remo Estates on Tangier Way

Northern Sarasota county in Sapphire Shores around N Shore and Brywill Drs.

Bird Key or Casey Key has some Mediterranean style homes. Lido has a few places. St Armands on Washington Dr. There are several places on Siesta in and around Roberts Point Rd.

Also check out Buccaneer Bay--Captain Kidd Ave in Southern Sarasota county.

In Venice, on the Island of Venice around Laguna, Pedro & Ponce De Leon.

I think you will have issues in LWR with hubbies car hobby. Especially if there are several cars around being worked on.

Many of the communities out by ODA are going to have pretty restrictive HOA's. I agree with the comments about renting until you get familiar with the communities. That's a lot of money to spend and not be happy with the community you chose.

Also, if I were you, I wouldn't be completely set on ODA. You might want to expand your options

Last edited by SoFLGal; 10-11-2014 at 05:57 PM..

Old 10-11-2014, 06:57 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
My kids and I ride our bikes in our "upscale" neighborhood on the sidewalk - the street is too dangerous - and if someone complains they will get an earful. I am not talking about walking paths I am talking sidewalks - most of the time they are empty anyway

Old 10-11-2014, 07:01 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Over It View Post
Im sure this has been asked before, but is there a general framework somewhere of typical LWR restrictions? I'm sure it changes from time to time, but providing a general framework for potential buyers BEFORE they get too deep into the process could save a lot of angst for everyone.

One last question - is River Club part of LWR? It appears not. Does it have more/less/similar deed restrictions? Some of the houses in there appear from photos to be more kid friendly.

Thanks again!
Snow, River Club is not part of Lakewood Ranch. It has larger lots along with good-sized homes plus it has no CDD taxes. It lies between Braden Woods and LWR. My sister lives there and we used to live in Braden Woods which also tends to have larger lots. As the names suggest, Braden Woods tends to be slightly more rustic looking while River Club has a slightly more polished look, at least in my opinion.

Each village in Lakewood Ranch has its own rules. You can find most at Lakewood Ranch.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:50 PM

FWIW, it is very common to see people riding bikes on the oversized sidewalks around LWR. They are part of the 150 mile trail system.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:56 PM

Hell, try Ellenton. They drive golf carts on the sidewalks there.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretagnefr View Post
Yes, but these are not "sidewalks" in the typical and normal design - they are pathways as you alluded, or "paved trails" - big difference as you noted. Do you see people walking in the bike lanes too ?
No need. Sidewalks...

However, what we tend to see is that the serious road cyclists use the bike lanes and the rest use the sidewalks. The narrower sidewalks seem to mostly run along the quieter side streets so riding in the street is not a big deal.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:03 AM

707 posts, read 1,052,359 times
What's really idiotic is forcing people to wear seatbelts and helmets while riding a bike, but helmets are not required on motorcycles.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:55 AM

490 posts, read 624,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
What's really idiotic is forcing people to wear seatbelts and helmets while riding a bike, but helmets are not required on motorcycles.
I almost never use my seat belt while riding my bike.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:06 AM

Bikes and seat belts? That's a new one, dpbarr2000! Way to "raise the bar"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area