Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times

Advertisements

I am getting my lanai renovated and will have a screen cage put around the outdoor area. When they pour the concrete foundation, I've asked them to leave a small free-form area of dirt at the end of the lanai in which I can plant trees or shrubs that will give it a tropical feel -- I intend to put some uplighting in, etc. Only problem is, I have a black thumb. I need stuff that is low-maintenance. There is a hose bib there but I don't want to have to water a lot (physical issues). The cage will allow this area to get rain and filtered sun. The fenced lanai faces south so it gets direct overhead sun and then is shady in late afternoon. It's a very small area, only about 6'x4'. I am envisioning a 6'-ish palm (?) of some sort surrounded by smaller shrubs of varying heights and hopefully some flowers. I would love to hear suggestions from those of you with green-thumbs out there. I will have to buy the plants and have someone plant them for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 05:24 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
I have a black thumb, too, but I can offer an observation. I've seen many pool and lanai cages with planting areas and most of them have the same problem...the palms and other plants eventually grew higher and wider than anticipated and ended up against the screen or thru the screen. Whatever you decide on, I'd be sure to confirm that the plant will stay well within the available space.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:26 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
Phoenix roebelenii aka pigmy date palm

Max out at 10 - 12 feet

Pygmy Date Palm Tree - Phoenix roebelenii

Old 11-18-2014, 07:30 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Plant something low that does not have leaves or flower petals that will end up all over the place. A desert rose or other succulent type plant that doesn't require a lot of water like an aloe would be good. Be sure to check the height and width expansion of the plant before planting otherwise you will be removing it a few years down the road. Also, you probably do not want something that requires trimming.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:37 AM

130 posts, read 234,210 times
My favorite short/small palms are bottle palms...There are also cycads that look like palms and are even shorter...Check out all of them on a great online resource...south florida plant guide...

Old 11-18-2014, 07:45 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
Maybe the screen in the lanai is fine enough to keep out mosquitoes. If it is not, you would want to avoid plants that hold water like bromeliads. They are mosquito incubators.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:21 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times
Everyone seems to get the same stuff. Get an Orange Tree! Or a Mango Tree, Cocktail Fruit Tree, something neat that you can actually eat

Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
Everyone seems to get the same stuff. Get an Orange Tree! Or a Mango Tree, Cocktail Fruit Tree, something neat that you can actually eat
that sounds like an excellent idea, though i don't know if they need bees for pollination.

There are hybrid and dwarf varieties of citrus that will grow in limited spaces, including large pots and barrels. . Meyer lemons, limes and regular lemons, maybe small oranges. They normally don't require much additional watering except as required in very dry spells. If potted, then they probably will require more.

I have the same situation with one large palm that we trim twice a year, and a smaller one with what I believe to be crotons (for color). Rarely needs additional watering.

Last edited by photoman_6; 11-18-2014 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: added citrus

Old 11-18-2014, 12:36 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times
I can't speak for if other trees need pollination, but my two orange and single mango trees just keep making fruit without any special care or treatment. YMMV.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:45 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,169 times
One of my favorite things to do is put smaller plants in the pots with bigger plants. For example, at the base of your palm, plant some vinca or begonias. You'll get that color and cover the soil at the same time. Based on your lighting, even New-Guinea impatients would work.

I bought a dwarf lime for my lanai area just 3 weeks ago, and it has already bloomed and started producing 2 tiny limes. I think the pollination thing is not something you need to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: