Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,617 times

Advertisements

Good morning - we are looking at a house in Siesta Key and one of the things we want is a boat dock that will accomodate an ~18-20 foot flats boat. The current residence has a dock with 5 pilings with an ~sq footage of about 5x7. This "dock" is only used for, well, I'm not sure, but we want to add to the existing dock to moor our future boat. The house is not on the inter-coastal, but sits on one of the inlets leading to the inter-coastal. This home has ~80 feet of shore line.

My questions: 1) needing advice on a reputable dock building company; 2) I don't think I need any special permits, but might be wrong; 3) I would like a dock with ease of access to our boat with space to relax on the dock - just not sure how big to go. I understand that materials are important and thinking about Teck (sp?) deck material to extend the wear and tear, but open to treated wood - thoughts? 4) Also, needing boat lift?

My experience with boating/fishing has been freshwater in MO. We had a lake house w/ a floating dock.

Thank you for your help!

KB
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 08:39 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
This may be far more complicated than you might think. For starters, the "dock" may not be a dock at all, at least in the normal sense. It may be regarded as a pier which doesn't permit a boat to tie up to it. There are setbacks, minimal water depths, even knowing who owns the submerged land and whether there are unrecorded agreements to be considered. You also will want to know if the existing structure is legal in the first place. Don't assume it is and don't automatically assume that title insurance will cover the underwater land. I may be wrong about this but I think there is a grandfathering for docks built prior to 1985 but any modification might trigger having to bring the whole thing into compliance with current regulations.

For whatever it is worth, if I was buying a house with a dock, I'd want an attorney handling the deal who has experience with riparian rights and dock issues.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
I agree with bbronston. Likely it's not considered a dock, but is considered a pier. There is a massive difference. Piers can't have boat lifts and they are for fishing/viewing, etc, but not for mooring a boat, per the gov rules.

The process for getting approval/design for a dock can be quite complicated. If the water is too shallow, it's not even allowed at all(this is why some people put piers in, because they cannot get approved for an actual dock). There can be state environment approval needed for a dock as well as county or local government approval. There are limitations of where the dock can go (or not go) and also the total sq footage of the dock(IF a dock is allowed at all).

The local dock companies know the rules and they can do the design/engineering as well as permitting that is required before the dock work can be started.

Water depth under the boat area is of utmost importance in getting a dock approved. Also you cannot go so far out into the channel with the dock/boat lift, as to impede other boaters from using the channel. Also there are rules as to how close it can be to adjacent lots.

Whether or not a waterfront lot can have a boat dock can affect the property value. Also the depth of water at the dock can affect the properly value. This is why you see properties listed as "sailboat water" or "deep water dock"- because it's considered as asset because there aren't depth limitations.

You must be careful about what is advertised. I have seen lots with very shallow water marketed by agents as "sailboat water" when this wasn't true. Buyer beware.

When I looked at water front property I made a long PVC pipe and marked depths on it. Then went out into the water at the back of the property and prodded the PVC pipe to check the water depths. You have to know if it's low tide or high tide when doing this. Get a raft if you have to and place it into the water from the back of the lot in order to measure depths. You can also look at overhead photos (google, etc) of the property. You can often tell the shallow areas/sandbars from the deep water when looking at the overheads. Deep water is much darker.

Some areas have restrictions and aren't allowed docks at all, even if depths allow. So take notice whether nearby properties have actual boat docks. I know of a subdivision that has this restriction. The developer agreed to the restriction in order to be granted the rights to subdivide and create the subdivision.

Most people get boat lifts if they can because of barnacles, salt water and such and because you don't need bottom paint if kept on a lift.

Last edited by sware2cod; 01-18-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-18-2015, 09:05 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,477 times
Tide times @ Sarasota News | Mysuncoast.com and ABC 7: Interactive Map

Old 01-18-2015, 09:14 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Although it doesn't really impact a flats boat so much, I'll add to sware2cod's comment re: sailboat water. According to one attorney who has dealt with this, there have been cases where a property was improperly listed as sailboat water because there was sufficient depth at the dock but the water depth between the dock and the channel to open water was not (or no longer) navigable.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:04 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
IF you are permitted to make any improvements, besides hoping the water is deep enough, you should also hope you have very deep pockets and a lot of patience. It will take a long time and lots of money.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:24 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
IF you are permitted to make any improvements, besides hoping the water is deep enough, you should also hope you have very deep pockets and a lot of patience. It will take a long time and lots of money.
I don't think it takes that long. Likely less than 6 months. I think the permit alone in Sarasota county is approx $850. Engineer seal is required, but the local dock companies usually include that in their package if you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area