Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:15 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
I hear ya. That's another large part of why we're bailing out of NY. It'd be a great place to live if it wasn't for the idiots running it. Raise taxes and do nothing constructive with them. But I digress.
Glad to hear that you will not be bringing that mentality with you. New York has become the greatest source of Sarasota snowbirds. I fear that Florida will turn into New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 06:19 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Glad to hear that you will not be bringing that mentality with you. New York has become the greatest source of Sarasota snowbirds. I fear that Florida will turn into New York.
BITE YOUR TONGUE! We can't wait to get away from these nutcases - they're certifiable !

Old 02-08-2015, 08:31 PM

35 posts, read 36,685 times
I'm a newbie and noticed that groceries cost more. The meat section is small.

You all talked a lot about Health Insurance, but nobody focused on getting sick. Take a long, hard look at access to healthcare, and access to get to the doctor. Any known genetic weaknesses or pre-existing conditions? Find out if you can get the quality of care you need and want.

If you plan to spend your last years here, think about when you are old. Taking care of a large house, mowing the lawn, do-it-yourself? Unless you can afford to pay someone, what will you do when you can't? I know men from their 30s and up that were healthy that dropped dead of heart attacks. Cancer happens. Get killed in an auto accident. This happens without warning. How will the spouse get by?

At least you do not need to pay for plowing here.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:42 PM

35 posts, read 36,685 times
I grew up in Westchester. Commuted from north, south and west into NY for work. Recently, I spent 6 years at the base of the Adks, from 2005-2011.

I was stunned that NY re-elected Cuomo II (as I call him). Cuomo I furloughed me as a young, single, female professional, with medical bills and student loans. At the time I worked for the State. Then, he cut the budget. The trickle down cost me my job, so I left for the mid-Atlantic.

Cuomo II is one of the least wisible heads of the state to date. He talks about cutting costs, then takes a helicopter home to his girlfriend's. Use the limo, it's much cheaper. A friend that was a gifted and trained graphic designer was working as a temp at the Capitol for at least 5 years when I left. Testing an employee out is one thing. Going through a temp agency, where they are paid half their worth by 'pimps', and slowly depleating assets intended for retirement, does not fly in my book. Don't get me started....

Old 02-09-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfu99 View Post
I'm a newbie and noticed that groceries cost more. The meat section is small.

You all talked a lot about Health Insurance, but nobody focused on getting sick. Take a long, hard look at access to healthcare, and access to get to the doctor. Any known genetic weaknesses or pre-existing conditions? Find out if you can get the quality of care you need and want.
That's certainly true, but that's true everywhere. One resource that can help in that search is Healthgrades > Find a Doctor | Doctor Reviews | Hospital Ratings After research, it's a matter of legwork to see if you can get on a patient list of a Doctor who suits your needs.

Quote:
If you plan to spend your last years here, think about when you are old. Taking care of a large house, mowing the lawn, do-it-yourself? Unless you can afford to pay someone, what will you do when you can't? I know men from their 30s and up that were healthy that dropped dead of heart attacks. Cancer happens. Get killed in an auto accident. This happens without warning. How will the spouse get by?

At least you do not need to pay for plowing here.
That's no different than where someone lives in a home today. If I kick the bucket, my wife will end up with more $ per month so I'm not really worried about it. As for if/when we can't handle it? We'll cross that bridge if/when it comes up just as we would here.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I grew up in Westchester. Commuted from north, south and west into NY for work. Recently, I spent 6 years at the base of the Adks, from 2005-2011.

I was stunned that NY re-elected Cuomo II (as I call him). Cuomo I furloughed me as a young, single, female professional, with medical bills and student loans. At the time I worked for the State. Then, he cut the budget. The trickle down cost me my job, so I left for the mid-Atlantic.

Cuomo II is one of the least wisible heads of the state to date. He talks about cutting costs, then takes a helicopter home to his girlfriend's. Use the limo, it's much cheaper. A friend that was a gifted and trained graphic designer was working as a temp at the Capitol for at least 5 years when I left. Testing an employee out is one thing. Going through a temp agency, where they are paid half their worth by 'pimps', and slowly depleating assets intended for retirement, does not fly in my book. Don't get me started....

I hear ya nfu99, the Emperor is scary which is a big reason we want to leave. The even bigger scare is that he wants to run for POTUS! But that's a whole different thread. Glad you beat feet!

Old 02-09-2015, 06:49 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,969 times
Quote:
This town is geared for the infirm just as the northeast is geared for snow. We left CA because talk about a bad place to grow old, that's it. If one of us had a heart attach on the side walk, people would step us getting to their car and would not even look up from texting while walking. Here people are very warm and interactive and look after each other.

There is a woman who is 88 next door to us. Public transportation picks her up at the door to go to the library. She has her laundry picked up. Meals on wheels is here with a lunch for her almost every day.

When people get to the point they can't manage their homes, they sell them and move to these awesome retirement condos on the bay that provide quality meals and light healthcare. Hubby drug me to a promotional lunch there because he wanted to see the view. The place was NICE! I liked it a lot and I am really picky.

All in all this is a better place to grow old than anywhere else I can imagine.

Sarasota Hospital has the following quality rankings.

HealthGrades Rankings (2014)
5-Star Ratings:
Coronary Intervention
Hip Fracture
Pulmonary Embolism
Heart Failure Survival
Pneumonia
Sepsis Survival

General Excellence:
Cardiac Care
Coronary Intervention
Orthopedic Surgery
Spine Surgery
Stroke Care Excellence (2013)

And there are a ton of doctors here. They locate where the patients are and besides, doctors don't like snow either.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,442 times
Where was the place hubby "drugged" you to with the great view?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:29 AM

91 posts, read 118,233 times
03bluecoupe and nfu99 - good to see some fellow Westchester/Hudson Valley New Yorkers on here! And yes Cardiff - you'll undoubtedly be seeing more New Yorkers as cost of living has just gotten out of control here in NY. We have a modest 2000 ft home- moved up to Orange Cty to escape southern NY taxes- and we now pay $12,000 annually - and must maintain our own septic & well. So clearly this is not sustainable. Not to mention the weather - more snow and ice here today to cover the 15" already on the ground.

We bought a condo in Sarasota about year and a half ago to test the waters pre-retirement. So far - our impression is you can live a lot cheaper in FL. Obviously lower taxes, especially if you can homestead. Noticed gas is cheaper, though we think food is a bit more expensive. Insurance is high- but it is here in NY post Sandy also. (By the way- I have a good FL insurance agent- PM me if you want his contact info.) Dining out - you can always get some good deals, and even more so out-of-season. Electric absolutely cheaper than good old ConEd here in NY. I've heard decent things about availability and quality of healthcare in Sarasota area- but working in the industry here in NY- I would say that if there was ever anything seriously wrong with anyone in my family- NY is where I'd want to be. The wealth and breadth of expertise here is phenomenal.

Of course- the best FL perk is the weather. Waking up to sun and warmth most days beats winter in the northeast hands down! Yes, we'll miss NYC - but we figure we can always come up and visit!

Old 02-09-2015, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 11,226 times
This is a very informative thread, Steve! Is anyone familiar with health care in the Placida/Englewood corridor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area