Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:23 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times

Advertisements

We are considering it for a pair of duplexes, one level, 800 sq foot each.

Anyone have any idea how much it would cost us to get the old insulation torn out and get the spray foam up in?

Any vendor recommendations?

Any opinions on it? Our builder uses it and it keeps the attic amazingly cool and keeps utility bills down. But that is new construction and extremely tight and leak proof.

Is using foam on a retro fit a bad idea? The air conditioning guys we just had inspect recommmended the spray foam. We use these guys a lot and figure they have seen every possible problem.

Did a quick search of all city data forums. Not sure the experience of people in climates that swing from very cold to very hot is applicable here.

Last edited by Cardiff by the Sea; 05-20-2015 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 04:26 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I really don't have anything helpful BUT one of the builders in LWR had an interesting demo in their models showing an insulation product they offered called Icynene. It really was clear that the insulation was excellent. If you want to look, the website is Spray Foam Insulation | Commercial & Residential | Energy Efficient | Icynene and there's a tab for locating a contractor.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:25 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
get fpl to come and do an energy audit. they will look at your insulation as well as a bunch of other things; recommend contractors to do the job and make you aware of all rebates available.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:32 PM

Icyene is what went into our house. It is amazing how much it drops the temperature in the attic--like 20-30 degrees. One model we saw had a glass hatch to the attic with a thermometer showing the attic temperature, and it was 70 degrees when it was about 90 outside.

I just talked to the superintendent managing the build of our house. His take on it was it was 3 to 4 times more expensive than regular insulation. So it is worth it if you are paying the utilities--maybe not if the tenant is.

His other take is if you have a new roof and won't have a roof leak it would be good. it. If you do have icyene and you have a roof leak you won't know it for a while and the water will go somewhere. That sounds not good.

So now were are thinking the way to go is blow in insulation. He recommended just renting the machine and have a couple of handyman types do it--but you have to make sure they don't put their foot though the ceiling. That didn't sound good either.

So I am back to anyone got a referral to do roof insulation--blow in type?

Old 05-20-2015, 06:15 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Again, can't help with a supplier/installer but one word of caution re: the blown in particulate stuff. If they don't go out of their way to be sure there's a consistent thickness throughout the entire attic, you get cold/hot spots and that is not only more costly utility-wise but I can imagine that tenants will be complaining to you about it.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:37 PM

thanks for the heads up

Old 05-21-2015, 04:03 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
I can tell you when I costed up a 2000 sq ft home it was around $5000....regular blown in is less than $1500

there are a couple of points I have heard -against-

Some people are saying that it can lessen the life of the felt and shingle (the theory being, I believe is its reflecting the heat back directly to those products). Secondly if you don't have a secondary waterproofing and do get a leak in the roof it can be harder to detect as the foam diverts water and it can appear a way away from the actual leak............

Old 05-21-2015, 04:47 AM

140 posts, read 188,137 times
^^ I would only invest in it if the roof had a substantial amount of life left because of leak detection. Also, you should get a wind mit before it goes on because after that it is pretty hard to perform. Some inspectors will ask to cut away some foam, others might just call it out as unverifiable nailing attachment. -- It is great stuff and the attics are very cool

Old 05-21-2015, 05:02 AM

Thanks for verification of concerns.

Got any recommendations for someone to redo conventional insulation?

Old 05-21-2015, 06:49 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
call Frank at keyso 941 416 0998

tell him peter at Vantage recommended him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area