Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 04:48 PM

287 posts, read 299,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post

Just one job can't be done due to expense. I wanted to put an exterior rear door in place of a window but the cost of door is extreme for what is an older house. Budget $1500 and bids are $2400 or more. Slider would be $4000+.
I was called to repair the sliding door on a rental. The door was so bad I refused to work on it or take any money for the service call; I adjusted it the best I could for free. I quoted the owner 3K for a new hurricane slider and to my amazement, he accepted.

This was in the city of Sarasota. I applied for and received my permit and got my spanking because I signed my contract before talking to inspection. They made me cut the block walls, epoxy overlapping #5 rebar from the lintel to the footing and fill the cavity with concrete all before the new door could be installed. This was in the living room, so everything had to be dust proofed and closed up every night.

It passed on first inspection and I had a 10-minute adjustment callback about a year later. I probably made $8.00 an hour on that job, but the tenant's three-year-old son nearly made it all worth while. He was highly entertaining; "supervising" with no pants on with his hands on his hips. His mother was mortified, but I still smile thinking about it.

If you can get a hurricane door installed by a licensed contractor for $4,000.00 in Sarasota, jump on it. That guy's losing his pants too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 07:23 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
The breakdown on the $2400 door cost was $800-900 labor (he said) and the rest was door cost. The labor I felt was reasonable because it would be everything you listed, filling blocks with rebar and concrete, etc. It was the markup on the door that blew me away and I asked if this was the least expensive door since the home is over 50 years old (in great shape physically).

Oh yeah the killer was that the quote did NOT INCLUDE inside trim. The salesman suggested I talk to the door crew who would do it on their own time and charge me extra.

When I find a contractor who has a decent priced door to offer and labor of $800 it will be done.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:53 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:

When I find a contractor who has a decent priced door to offer and labor of $800 it will be done.
Buy the door directly , then pay for labor. This is what most builders do.

Kimal is where you get doors (one of several places where builders get doors and doors and lumber and trusses and many other things). They deliver. They have many doors to choose from and they have a showroom. They also sell lumber/trim. So they can deliver everything you need.

Kimal Lumber and Hardware

Old 07-18-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
The breakdown on the $2400 door cost was $800-900 labor (he said) and the rest was door cost. The labor I felt was reasonable because it would be everything you listed, filling blocks with rebar and concrete, etc. It was the markup on the door that blew me away and I asked if this was the least expensive door since the home is over 50 years old (in great shape physically).

Oh yeah the killer was that the quote did NOT INCLUDE inside trim. The salesman suggested I talk to the door crew who would do it on their own time and charge me extra.

I never allow customers to dictate as to what they think is a fair price for my services. My markup, overhead, profit, and supplier discounts are none of my customer's business.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:24 PM

Customers always "dictate" what they will pay for anything. They either buy it or they don't.
You get to set your price and they get to choose.
"Dictate" comes from the Latin root "to say".

Old 07-18-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Customers always "dictate" what they will pay for anything. They either buy it or they don't.
You get to set your price and they get to choose.
"Dictate" comes from the Latin root "to say".
Fair enough. If I can't convince you that I know more about the cost of doing business than you do, I don't deserve your business.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:10 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabotnik View Post
Fair enough. If I can't convince you that I know more about the cost of doing business than you do, I don't deserve your business.
Different contractors have different costs of doing business.

We have two different plumbers we use. One is much more expensive because he has a trained plumber as an employee who does the work. That plumber has to pay his guy and make a profit on top of that. The other plumber does the work himself and has a $10-$15 an hour untrained assistant who fetches, carries, and digs. Their cost structures are just different.

Many years ago I decided I would never use a large plumbing company that had a dispatcher. The service was worse and it cost more.

Not saying your price is unreasonable. There just may be qualified people who can do the job for less for whatever reason.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Different contractors have different costs of doing business.

Not saying your price is unreasonable. There just may be qualified people who can do the job for less for whatever reason.
I respectfully disagree. With the possible exception of volume buying discounts, almost all contractor's costs are the same. Some of us know our costs and some of us know what it takes to "buy" a job.

Virtually all my work is redoing work that was done improperly by others. This improper work is rarely done by high bidder. As long as customers continue to shop on price over value, I'll be busy.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:54 PM

With the possible exception of volume buying discounts, almost all contractor's costs are the same.

There are many other elements that must be added to a contractor's cost other than cost of material(s).
I was self-employed so am very familiar with all the overhead involved that most consumers are not aware of. And in some cases one business's overhead may be substantially less than another's. The ones that get their prices right stay in business much longer than the ones that don't.

It is rare that we ever take the low quote on a job unless we know the contractor but a very high quote is equally suspect since it could mean they don't really want the job.

I see a funny sign at the barber's I pass by: "Cheap haircuts repaired here" which echoes your comment. But I've gotten a bad haircut at an expensive salon too. There's just no telling what the outcome will be until it's over.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
There's just no telling what the outcome will be until it's over.
Sure there is. Hire based on reputation, not price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area