Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 946 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are driving to Florida in November and are trying to find out the time when we will encounter the least traffic on the route we have chosen. The plan is to take the Garden ST Pkwy from the NY line to the NJ turnpike crossing into Delaware then around Baltimore and DC after which it's a straight shot. Driving at night is not an option for us so we plan to leave about 6am from the Tappan Zee area.

The question is will we hit less traffic on a Saturday or Sunday morning or a weekday? As long as we get around the major metropolitan areas, the trip south of DC seems relatively easy.

I think I know the answer but I'd like to hear from a veteran of the drive.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 07:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Less traffic is a relative term, driving daytime between NY and Richmond cansometimes be congested the whole way and i've seen times when I-95 is a traffic jam going through N/S Carolina due to sheer traffic volume.
On my frequent trips from Montreal to Tampa i usually time it so i pass the big cities overnight. but if you cant drive nights my only recommendation would be to take I-80 over to I-81 go south till you meet up with I-77 then I-26 meeting up with I-95 north of Savannah. then to finish your trip I-95 to I-4 in Daytona then i-275 in Tampa then on to I-75 to Venice.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:23 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSnow View Post
My wife and I are driving to Florida in November and are trying to find out the time when we will encounter the least traffic on the route we have chosen. The plan is to take the Garden ST Pkwy from the NY line to the NJ turnpike crossing into Delaware then around Baltimore and DC after which it's a straight shot. Driving at night is not an option for us so we plan to leave about 6am from the Tappan Zee area.

The question is will we hit less traffic on a Saturday or Sunday morning or a weekday? As long as we get around the major metropolitan areas, the trip south of DC seems relatively easy.

I think I know the answer but I'd like to hear from a veteran of the drive.

Mike
We've done your drive from Morristown, NJ to Venice, FL in early Oct and Oct 31/Nov 1. We find it easiest to travel on Sat and Sun because you don't find as much road work. We leave between 8 and 8:30am which gets us to Washington a little after lunch time. Then through Richmond (there is a bypass around Richmond- take it. It isn't that much longer if at all and much more pleasant drive). We try to get to Lumberton, NC which is about 20 from SC, then finish the trip from SC to FL the next day. Orlando is always fun.

We generally start out driving 2 hours each, have lunch, then each drives 1.5 hours, then 1 hour then 30-60 min to the end. Takes us about 10-11 hours each day.

Just make sure you're doing the northern half on a weekend. You can leave on Sat or Sun, and return on Fri or Sat. We've done both and the only issues we ran into were a couple of bad accidents on two of the trips which can't be predicted.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:11 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Less traffic is a relative term, driving daytime between NY and Richmond cansometimes be congested the whole way and i've seen times when I-95 is a traffic jam going through N/S Carolina due to sheer traffic volume.
On my frequent trips from Montreal to Tampa i usually time it so i pass the big cities overnight. but if you cant drive nights my only recommendation would be to take I-80 over to I-81 go south till you meet up with I-77 then I-26 meeting up with I-95 north of Savannah. then to finish your trip I-95 to I-4 in Daytona then i-275 in Tampa then on to I-75 to Venice.
or take I-10 instead of hooking up with I-95. You can then catch I-75 all the way down.
The I-80 route suggested above has a lot less traffic but some of the hilly areas can be hair-raising

Old 08-09-2015, 10:39 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
We make this drive every year or two, as our families live in Connecticut. You'll probably sit on stop and go traffic on and off through Richmond, then you'll fly right down the rest of the way with no trouble. We try to drive on weekends, but if we can't, then we leave New England at dinnertime and try to get to Richmond. It's about eight hours, but we miss most of the heavy traffic. Then we stop for the night and get on the road again at about 8 or 9:00. We get home in the later evening, maybe 9 or 10. If you can split it up over three days of driving instead of two, you can stop wherever the second night. Maybe Savannah area, or drive until you hit Jacksonville to make the last day substantially shorter.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
or take I-10 instead of hooking up with I-95. You can then catch I-75 all the way down.
The I-80 route suggested above has a lot less traffic but some of the hilly areas can be hair-raising
Not sure how you hook up with I-10 without getting back on I-95 and driving to Jacksonville...
You could take I-81 all the way to Knoxville then hook up with I-75 but it is a few hundred miles further.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-09-2015 at 11:57 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 02:30 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
You didn't say whether you want to end up on the east coast or west coast of FL, but since you mention I95 is a straight shot, I'll assume east. If however, you want to end up on the west coast, and take some of the alternate suggestions, be careful of coming through Atlanta on I75. Some of my neighbors in Venice are from the Midwest and they all complain about going through Atlanta.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:06 PM

87 posts, read 103,998 times
Why don't you take auto train ? Save on gas and wear and tear on your vehicle. No traffic!!!! I live in North Jersey and took the train last November it was great left VA woke up in FL....

Old 08-09-2015, 03:07 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
Whatever you do - DO NOT BE IN THE DC AREA AT RUSH HOUR - which starts at 2 PM and ends around 7 PM - you will be sorry!

Old 08-10-2015, 03:34 PM

538 posts, read 538,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop424 View Post
Why don't you take auto train ? Save on gas and wear and tear on your vehicle. No traffic!!!! I live in North Jersey and took the train last November it was great left VA woke up in FL....
A good option.....

I just looked up a date in November at random (13th). The cost for two to travel (and car) is $430 (coach) or $905 (compartment with private bath). The costs includes dinner and a small breakfast the next morning.

We have taken the train several times and love it. Much better than driving all the way, IMHO.

If we didn't have our cat, we would definitely take the Auto Train to snowbird.

Patiently waiting for them to open up a sleeping car for people who travel with pets......

Last edited by Cuzzant; 08-10-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area