Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 07:51 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times

Advertisements

While I wouldn't necessarily want to live in Palmetto, it is nowhere near as bad as people paint a picture of here. If you drive around the whole town you won't see anything all that bad. It's just a small, almost rural feeling town with a heavy Mexicano presence. The small downtown reflects that, and all the buildings are kept up and look neat. There are some very bad parts of Palmetto with crime, but honestly I don't think it's worse than Newtown, Sarasota's ghetto. Palmetto actually reminds me a lot of Ventura in California in it's look and feel, but a little plainer/simpler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 08:07 AM

296 posts, read 319,267 times
Oh ok, I've never been there, just read things. Appreciate it.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:07 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
There is a lot of commercial development going in in North Port. Benderson is building like crazy. Here is a map of some of the upcoming commercial: ArcGIS Web Application
OMG! Popeye's Chicken is coming to North Port. On US 41 across from Lowes. Thanks for the info, SoFLGal.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:05 PM

46 posts, read 162,510 times
We live in Parrish, and when my wife and her two sons moved down after we married, her sons had to go to school in Palmetto. They're graduated now, but the high school was cringe-worthy. In fairness, they have a new superintendent, so perhaps we'll at least have new and entertaining reasons why the schools suck.

That said, we absolutely love Parrish. Just built a new home and moved in a few weeks ago (and we lived here before that house, so we're not new here.)

River House is great, referring to Tommygphotos reference. One other nice thing about Parrish is that we are pretty safe from storm surge even in a Cat 5 storm. My wife is from San Diego by way of a few years in Denver, so the whole big storm thing is a bit scary to her. This made her happy.

Added- I forgot you mentioned North Port. I lived there before moving up after we got married. If you would like small town, homey places, North Port is GREAT. Not far from beaches that are rarely full, and are absolutely beautiful. Quiet, pleasant town. I really liked it there.

Venice is also nice, and Englewood.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:16 PM

46 posts, read 162,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
While I wouldn't necessarily want to live in Palmetto, it is nowhere near as bad as people paint a picture of here.
I never thought of it being much like Ventura, but you're right- it's not as bad as folks here say. Indeed, there are some very nice neighborhood, especially out toward the water, by Snead Island.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
We rented once in Palmetto and there are a lot of nice areas. It's location is quite superior in terms of proximity to the Tampa airport and St. Petes, etc - and location means a lot in Real Estate.

Prices can be quite reasonable. I think it is a decent option for some retirees and others...but if one has younger kids it's nice to be in an area with lots of the same and good schools, etc.

Not too many other well priced places where you can easily walk to a nice waterfront like that. I think Palmette will boom (to an extent) once people understand those (location) benefits.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:16 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,133 times
You are correct. We bought a Divosta home in IslandWalk which is in an annexed area of North Port. The exact same home in the Divosta community of SandHill Preserve in Sarasota was $125,000 more - for the exact same house.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:21 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
You are correct. We bought a Divosta home in IslandWalk which is in an annexed area of North Port. The exact same home in the Divosta community of SandHill Preserve in Sarasota was $125,000 more - for the exact same house.
That's totally true! I had a closing in Sandhill Preserve on Friday. They now close all of the IslandWalk new builds up there at the Preserve. I'm finding you lots of nice neighbors, dlking

Old 09-28-2015, 03:22 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
What does an "annexed area" mean?

Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 AM

296 posts, read 319,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
OMG! Popeye's Chicken is coming to North Port. On US 41 across from Lowes. Thanks for the info, SoFLGal.
Popeye's is the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area