Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 03:24 PM

37 posts, read 59,875 times

Advertisements

We live on the first floor in an older building and have seen an occasional roach. I know it's Florida and never gets cold enough to get rid of them. I'm hoping someone out there can recommend an "organic" pest control company. Our management company does offer to have people come in to spray but we have a dog and would like to avoid heavy-duty pesticides. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 09:09 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,324 times
What types of roaches are we talking? German roaches, or American roaches? (American roaches are what most people call a palmetto bug, even though that's incorrect).

I asked around when I first moved here, as the place I stayed for a few months would have a roach pop up here and there. If you tell the pest company that you have pets, they have a different type of pesticide they use, and they put it on light. However I don't believe it is "organic" - could be wrong, though.

If you are seeing German roaches in your house, chances are that there are plenty more where the one or two came from, especially if you are seeing them in the daytime. German roaches prefer living indoors, and eat pretty much everything. They also breed indoors.

American roaches, while they look much worse and much more disgusting, do not breed indoors and only come in occasionally to look for food/water.

Either way, I recommend Bug Busters, 5900 S. Tamiami Trail. Every time I went in to that shop, the owner was the one working the counter. The stuff this man knows about roaches/bugs, pesticides, and extermination in general astounded me. If you explain as much as you know about the problem in your house to him along with your concerns, he will show you what to use. He also completely guarantees the products he sells, and will say that if your roaches are not gone with using [product] by X time, he will refund your money, and he holds to that. Of course this is not valid if you are a complete slob who leaves food out, and so forth.

I would either call or just go in there and tell him what's going on, and that you are concerned about your pet. He will let you know what you can use.

This is Florida, and as you said, there are bugs. Lots of them. There is no way of getting around it. Seeing a roach in your house here does not mean the same thing as it does up north (which would mean you were a complete slob), and it does happen from time to time. With that said, Bug Busters sold me a certain type of roach killer and explained how to use it. After I applied it, I never saw a roach again.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:26 AM

37 posts, read 59,875 times
Excellent! Thank you so much. I'm pretty sure the ones I've seen are German roaches. We'll go by Bug Busters and see what he has to say. . .

Old 02-03-2016, 07:06 AM

7 posts, read 7,143 times
The best thing we have found is using combat roach gel in hidden cracks/corners not accessible to pets. It is very effective and no spraying is involved. It is also very cost effective. You only use an amount similar to an eraser head in a crack near where you saw the roach. We used it once we moved in and have not seen a roach in years.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Good News Pest Solutions uses 100% natural products. https://goodnewspestsolutions.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area