Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:14 PM

35 posts, read 35,295 times

Advertisements

Ok, just to be grumpy for a sec...

Six hundred $$ extra, non-refundable, for a cat??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 PM

I found one annual rental on AMI...

Cute, but tiny,no laundry on site. No real dining area to speak of. But they are ok with my cat, and it's a nice, pretty street, and of course, the beach is a stone's throw away.

$$1100/mnth, plus last month and $1000 security.

Good? Bad? I am interested in what the savvier (than me)people think.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:48 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastaaa View Post
I found one annual rental on AMI...

Cute, but tiny,no laundry on site. No real dining area to speak of. But they are ok with my cat, and it's a nice, pretty street, and of course, the beach is a stone's throw away.

$$1100/mnth, plus last month and $1000 security.

Good? Bad? I am interested in what the savvier (than me)people think.
Frankly, you are probably extremely fortunate to find ANYTHING in that price range right on the island! I guess it comes down to how important that is to you. In the season you wouldn't believe what even a tiny rental goes for, IF you could even find one.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Frankly, you are probably extremely fortunate to find ANYTHING in that price range right on the island! I guess it comes down to how important that is to you. In the season you wouldn't believe what even a tiny rental goes for, IF you could even find one.
Hi gypsychic!

Thank you! That's kind of what I thought I'd hear. I appreciate your reply. Yep, so far, that is the only one out there.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:26 PM

Oh, and for the sake of clarity, the nonrefundable $600 was for an apartment rental, not the place on AMI. It just seems kind of steep for a cat...

Old 10-18-2016, 06:59 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastaaa View Post
Oh, and for the sake of clarity, the nonrefundable $600 was for an apartment rental, not the place on AMI. It just seems kind of steep for a cat...
It may sound steep, but actually you are lucky to find places that accept pets. I am sure your cat is a sweetie that won't cause damage, but you would be surprised how much damage even one cat can do so they have to cover themselves. It's just the cost of being a puddy mama (or papa) lol!

Old 10-18-2016, 07:59 AM

@gypsychic--I get it, I really do. But for one healthy cat, I get it to the tune of $300, not $600! I've never seen that kind of pet deposit. Oh well.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:34 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
I don't know what your hours will be, but traffic to and from the island in season is awful.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:10 AM

33 posts, read 39,193 times
Take the rental on the island. It's only a year and will fly by quicker than you think. Plus, it let's you either realize you live living on the island or you get it out of your system and are ok being about 30 minutes away later.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm1204 View Post
Take the rental on the island. It's only a year and will fly by quicker than you think. Plus, it let's you either realize you live living on the island or you get it out of your system and are ok being about 30 minutes away later.
Hi mjm1204,

Thanks for your feedback! Well, I'm considering it. It's a tiny place, and really, it's kind of icky. It's dark-ish and the layout is a straight line from living room thru kitchen, into bathroom, then bedroom. It's definitely "basement-y." Or it used to be their garage...or something. I could spit from one end to the other. So, having family visit would be impossible, as there is absolutely not enough room for two people, let alone a sibling and his wife. That's a problem. On the up side, it IS on the island and I would be renting from a nice older couple who have lived there for years. It would be an opportunity to develop a reputation for being a good renter--from the inside. An opportunity to connect with locals.

And this whole thing with the apartment complexes jacking their prices around from day to day??!! It's making me nuts. I've never dealt with this before. The same apartment yesterday that was $1100 is $1200 today, less than 24 hours later.

So, while I'm mulling, the apartment prices will skyrocket and I will lose the one on-island opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area