Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,337 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for beautiful beaches and cool stuff to do its great. If you are looking for smiley happy people you will not find it unless its a vacationer. I have lived her for a few years now and I get more depressed by the day about the stand offishness of the Floridians.
I have been many places and this may be the unfriendliest. Considering we are at the beach its pretty sad.
It may be the terrible rental deposits and high utility bills people are so upset over.
Sarasota is friendlier thoughnot much.
Good place to vacation. Because you usually take family and friends with you.
You will meet acquaintances here. No real friends.
Only friendly business in town in Boost Mobile and Publix. Thats it.
Sorry to burst your bubble. It pains me to say it considering its where I live.
Amenities nice. Friendly factor, Zilch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 06:38 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,227,550 times
I don't believe it. Are you sure about that?

Old 10-15-2016, 07:01 AM

137 posts, read 194,392 times
Smile Not unfriendly

I don't know where you live but my neighbors in Florida(Venice) are far more friendly then my neighbors in NY.I live in Venice and love the community so much that In will be selling my home in NY and moving to Venice permanently. Other friends living in other areas of Venice also agree that Venice is a great place to live. Friendliness with neighbors is a two way street. You have to want to be involved with neighbors or one sends a signal that you don't want to be engaged. I am very happy in my community.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:47 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sngrswm View Post
If you are looking for beautiful beaches and cool stuff to do its great. If you are looking for smiley happy people you will not find it unless its a vacationer. I have lived her for a few years now and I get more depressed by the day about the stand offishness of the Floridians.
I have been many places and this may be the unfriendliest. Considering we are at the beach its pretty sad.
It may be the terrible rental deposits and high utility bills people are so upset over.
To have a friend you need to BE a friend. Maybe you are the one coming off as unfriendly....I find this whole area super-friendly, but then I am an outgoing person.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:14 AM

133 posts, read 131,225 times
Decades ago, the whole county was friendlier. I was having a drink at RG in LWR with a older female bartender the other day and we were talking about the same issue of friendliness that no longer exists to the extent it did in SRQ COUNTY decades ago. The influx of buttwipes primarily from the eastcoast, and mid-Atlantic was her contention. She was one of the very few truly professional bartenders who really talked and interacted well with a variety of newcomers. We both agreed that the personalities and styles of newcomers over the last 15-20 years are not particularly of the friendly sort at all. She says they had become snarky, argumentative, and judgmental. There however has always been somewhat a cultural difference between south county (Venice, Englewood, Nokomis) and north Sarasota County. I'm biased and I really never liked or enjoyed the type of settlers commonly found for decades around Venice..esp the island.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:31 AM

19 posts, read 35,040 times
After all these years you post your first topic.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:36 PM

704 posts, read 772,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sngrswm View Post
My experience has been almost the exact opposite as yours. Sorry you're having such a time of it.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:38 PM

220 posts, read 270,179 times
People in Florida are friendly in kind of a different way. We live on a block of mostly older people. Everyone for the most part says hello and theres a little small talk in passing. In general though they all kind of stay to themselves.Does it make them unfriendly,absolutely not. Are you having them over for cocktails at 5 O'clock? no. If thats what you're looking for,its not Florida.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:53 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,507,636 times
I am originally from NJ and found people very friendly (in spite of the reputation of NJ/NY) - moved to Northern VA and found those people very uppity and standoffish - here in Venice I find people very friendly and chatty - the trick is you have to join a group - I joined a neighborhood group and now know everyone in my neighborhood and made many new friends - the best friends ever - and I am not an outgoing person -

Old 10-17-2016, 07:39 AM

733 posts, read 761,925 times
In our three months here, we've found the area to be very friendly. (Small sample size, I realize.) My wife and I were actually just talking about this. We've got the "Minnesota Nice" background, but actually find folks down here great - more engaging and helpful than just "nice". Our theory is because such a large percentage are transplants, everyone is open to making new connections.

Everywhere has it's "unfriendlies", and it can even vary by neighborhood. Perhaps OP happens to live in a neighborhood with mostly homebodies, assuming the greater Venice area is similar. Agree with a poster above - there are groups out there full of people willing to welcome you. Volunteer opportunities, community classes, many groups on meetup.com, neighborhood groups on facebook or nextdoor.com.

I recommend trying to reset/reframe your perspective, and give it a new chance. Be determined to stay friendly with everyone, and don't let a few bad apples ruin your happy attitude. Maybe you can be the one to brighten their day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area